PDA

View Full Version : In what order do you create your games?

Mrwb
18-07-2004, 12:27 AM
I'm just curious, in what order do you develop your games? Do you start off with the game logics, the graphics engine or something else?

Personally, I start doing the game logics as soon as I've decided what type of game I'll create. Then, when the logics are somewhat up and running, I do a design doc and the graphics engine.
When they are done, I start putting the game together if I haven't abandoned the project by then. ;)

Paulius
18-07-2004, 06:30 AM
To be productive and all it should be:
1. Deciding on the features and other stuff, trying to stick to it throughout the project, drawing some UML etc.
2. Modifying or making a new engine
3. Making the game
4. Testing, optimizing and bugfixing
But I guess most of us just get something running and continue slapping stuff on top until we've lost interest

cairnswm
19-07-2004, 08:24 AM
The first thing I do once I have got an idea for a game is define the game states that will be used. I then code stubs for each function of the game states (rendering, mouse move, mouse up and input)

I then do a detailed introduction screen which in effect becomes my design document as I try and describe what the game is all about.

I then use existing images to create the game itself. (I mostly use Reiner Prokiens images)

Lastly I try get everything working smoothly and effectivly - also try do some optimisations.

I use a notebook to write down my ideas as they come up and make notes on ideas during the full process. I never do a design document as I then feel to restricted in my options.

Useless Hacker
19-07-2004, 11:45 AM
...But I guess most of us just get something running and continue slapping stuff on top until we've lost interest
Yes... :oops:

cairnswm
19-07-2004, 11:55 AM
The first thing to learn is that you need to limit the amount of things you 'want' to add. Make a small list of features and try and accomplish them. In that way its easy to keep control of the amount of work you are adding to the program.

Harry Hunt
19-07-2004, 12:41 PM
I generally start by sketching out the objects and data formats for my game on paper, then I hack the objects into Delphi and create all the interface and then I add the functionality in whatever order I like.