PDA

View Full Version : Scripting System

Zanthos
19-11-2002, 09:06 PM
I've finally completed my coursework for my A-Level maths and I'm left with some free time so instead of playing counter-strike, I decided to devote some of it to writing a tutorial for the forums :) My initial idea is a scripting system with a JIT compiler, with external function calling and variable references, the sort of things you'd expect from a scripting system :) Who's interested in making a scripting system and would like to see some things added to the tutorial/article specifically? :)

Alimonster
19-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Sure, why not - the more tutorials sitting around here, the better! Remember to take a look at Innerfuse Pascal Script (http://www.carlo-kok.com/ifps3.php) if you've not already. I've not yet, but it seems very well featured and I think it's open source too.

Xorcist
19-11-2002, 10:41 PM
Scripting is something I'm sure we'd all benefit from (helping with AI big time) so yeah! go for it. Even if no one else does, I'll read it.

Zanthos
20-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Just had a glance over at the IFPS page, looks good :) I'm at college at the moment on a damn motorola chip, have to fiddle with it when I get back home :)

Stevie56
20-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Haven't fiddled with a Motorola chip since the Sinclair QL.

All those registers.... yearn..... yearn....

Like the idea of a scripting project.

Be nice if it was able to define new functions, recurse, tickle the chip directly (fast maths, & graphics), control applications as well as be embeddable inside a Delphi prog.

Useless Hacker
20-11-2002, 07:39 PM
I've been thinking of doing something like this myself. It hasn't got off the ground yet, though :roll:

Zanthos
20-11-2002, 09:22 PM
I think as it'll be a work in progress sort of thing that I provide a link to the sections on my website as I complete them :) I'm going to write the system in the way that the reader already knows about compiler theory, and concentrate on bytecode, JIT compiling, linking to functions, procedures and variables in the executable, etcetc :)

I'll post a link to the page when I get it set up, which should be tomorrow night if everything goes according to plan with college work :)

cyberium
10-12-2002, 09:29 PM
Good idea - write all u want, I'll read it, as long as it's script engine writing in Delphi 8)

Way to go, and good luck!

-cyberium

cairnswm
13-12-2002, 06:44 AM
How about do the article about includeing DWS as a scripting engine into a game?

cyberium
14-12-2002, 01:59 AM
How about do the article about includeing DWS as a scripting engine into a game?

I personally think that a good article on how to make a system of your own is better than how to use someone else's. I understand that there are some users who are interested in - more or less - just getting to the point, that is actually scripting something. I prefer writing my own system though, and it would be very interesting if someone would share ideas on how to solve some of the tricky things involved. I think that DreamScript may be a good solution for someone looking for something to interface with a script engine with, or DWS as a stand alone engine suitable for web programming.

I think it would be cool if there could be a pure technical article, explaining how to write an engine of your own, and there could be some links to other articles explaining just interfacing with other script engines. There could be a poll where people could inform the author of the technical article, if there should be an article about interfacing as well - that is, if the linked articles does not satisfy the ones reading 'em, there could be a seperate new article explaining interfacing (or linking, or whatever ya want to call it).

-cyberium

Shadowfax
23-12-2002, 03:06 AM
You have my attention..

Alimonster
05-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Consider this thread bumped. :rambo:

*Bump*

Zanthos
05-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Ouch that hurt :lol:

The article, my engine, my social life, and most other things are/have/will be unfortunately {being} put on hold, as I've got ludicrously high grades to attain for my A-levels. But never fear as with 3 1/2 months of non college-uni related time available after them, expect wonderful things to appear :)

Tanner
16-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Why reinventing the wheel when you can use powerful tools already written by talented people?

Anyways i know that a scripting engine does have his parser and all that stuff over it...

Sincerely, I'm more interested in a tutorial showing the USE of Innerfuse Pascal Script or DWS integrated INSIDE a game engine, rather than a tutorial on how to WRITE a scripting engine.

Incubii
07-02-2005, 11:13 PM
id also like an article from the begining on how to use IFS or DWS inside a game or application. I mainly want to use it like UT99 or Quake C basically so i can code the core of the project and script the rest :)

You could maybe look at using Python for Delphi (http://www.atug.com/andypatterns/pythonDelphiTalk.htm)

Chebmaster
09-01-2007, 01:41 AM
In my, purely personal, opinion using a scripting system for a project led by only one-two people is an utter waste of time and effort. Why not write the same in your main programming language, saving on the system complexity and the efforts needed to integrate scripting system into your engine?

cairnswm
09-01-2007, 04:51 AM
In my, purely personal, opinion using a scripting system for a project led by only one-two people is an utter waste of time and effort. Why not write the same in your main programming language, saving on the system complexity and the efforts needed to integrate scripting system into your engine?

Because its easier to extend the levels/enemy/ai of the game if they are external in script files than if they are inside your main code base.

I have previously written a small game and then released it and been able to release update packs for the game by having all the enemy behaviour etc stored in external DWS script files.

I do however agree that using the same langauge to develop the exe and the scripts is a good idea.