PDA

View Full Version : ive been busy making things :)

tux
13-08-2004, 03:16 PM
for the last month and a bit ive been making / testing / braking an app :) and today its released! the first few hours after release were hectic because it reacted tottaly differently then in testing.

http://www.deviousdevelopment.com/images/eyespy_logo_250w.gif

its called EyeSpy and its a "desktop screenshot server". basicly you load the app, tell the person your ip address and they enter that into there browser... EyeSpy then takes a screenshot and shows it in there browser. you can customize the pages and other options in the app.

it supports

new screenshot on page view
new screenshot every x seconds
upload screenshots to ftp every x seconds
resize screenshot & compression
authentication

it has a few problems against routers but it is possible to get it to work. router support will be improved on the next version.

the demo version wont save the settings, so you need to re enter them all when you reload the app (unless you pay $10 and then there allways saved :) )

you can download at http://www.deviousdevelopment.com/eyespy.php

Paulius
13-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Pretty original fun app, but not really commercially viable, as I see it its uselessness is limited to 'Wow, you can do that' effect, which should wear off pretty quickly.

Harry Hunt
13-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Sounds cool! I'm a notorious pessimist when it comes to selling software so I kinda have to agree with Paulius here, but hey... we might both be wrong. So good luck and I hope you make a buck or two.

The funny thing is: I work as a contract programmer whenever I have the time and four days ago I got the assignment to write an app that is very similar to yours. Except mine isn't a HTTP server, it uses plain TCP and its own protocol. The program consists of a server application that captures either a specific window or the entire desktop and an ActiveX control that serves as the client which receives the images and allows for remote administration. Also, my app captures with up to 18 FPS so it's almost a live-stream (Kinda like the app-sharing function built into Netmeeting). Obviously you can't send 18 full frames in one second through normal internet connections so I only send the parts of the image that actually change and I use massive image compression.
Well, I worked 16 hours days for the past three days and now everything's done and working. I'm so exhausted now but I'm also very happy that I completed it in time.
I wish I could show you the program, but since this is contract work, I'm not allowed to :(.
Anyway, enough with the bragging...

tux
14-08-2004, 04:16 PM
i was planning on doing something like that a little later :)