PDA

View Full Version : Elerium(intro)

Paulius
28-08-2004, 08:41 PM
I've been trying to do something introish for almost year now and decided to dump half of it and finally release something. Hey and somebody had to give Alimonster and Mrwb some competition :wink: So what do you guys think, best Delphi intro ever or lame-fillrate-hungry-torus-abusing-crap?http://legion.gibbering.net/paulius/Elerium.zip
http://legion.gibbering.net/paulius/IMG/Elerium.jpg

Harry Hunt
28-08-2004, 08:58 PM
All it does for me is display a message box "Unable to create OpenGl window".

My system specs: AMD Athlon XP 64 3000+, 1 GB DDRAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro with 128 MB running Windows 2k Pro SP 4

Any ideas what might be wrong?
That screenshot sure as hell looks impressive.

Paulius
28-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Hmm :scratch: , how about now?

Harry Hunt
29-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Wow! Very impressive stuff. Great job! Works like a blast now.

SuryIIID
29-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Looks cool , good job.
I'm impressed of the file size too , seems like upx rocks :wink:

Paulius
29-08-2004, 07:30 PM
It actually fits within intro size limits uncompressed as everything except the font is generated in code :D

tux
29-08-2004, 09:24 PM
thats a pretty damned good intro :)

Ultra
30-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Looks great! Congratulations! :P

How did you generate the music from inside the code?

Paulius
30-08-2004, 05:41 PM
Oh sorry, I meant everything graphics related; the music is a midi resource.

Mrwb
30-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Nice work Paulius! :) Beats the crap out off my NEF intros ;)

Paulius
30-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Hehe :D thanks for the good feedback guys

Crisp_N_Dry
31-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Real nice Paulius. Would really like to hear more about how you went about making it. I've always had an interest in the demo-scene but never got into it.

Paulius
31-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Well, it started with a texture generator, inspired by the aardbei texture generator, and funnily enough filters that took longest to write weren?¢_Tt even used for the final version, in the end I had no place to fit in most of the originally planned textures. But still it was useful to figure some filters out and things like the twirl filter were later adopted for polygrid effect in the last scene. The glyphs at the beginning are actually just the font bitmap with bits read in the wrong order; this was one of the coolest accidents I had while programming ever :D . The longest point of no progress was with making geometry, I still can?¢_Tt seem to find a way to make it properly extrudable and combinable, etc. in an efficient way. In the end all I put in was wobbling planes, a deformed tunnel and a more interesting torus or whatever knot things, which were made by generating ring points and extruding them along the shape. The crash zoom is something like Chaos described in his Assembly 2003 seminar, but the glow effect is much worse than his as I can?¢_Tt find a way to blur textures without pixelshaders in OpenGL. I hoped to make a softsynth for it, bus as I have no access to any musical software to plug it into and making notes in code is not pretty I went along with a midi, oh well, at least I have an excuse that it doesn?¢_Tt occupy 64KB :) .

Ultra
01-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Oh sorry, I meant everything graphics related; the music is a midi resource.

Hehe, maybe I should've read the readme file. :wink:
It's still very cool. :)