PDA

View Full Version : Software Renderer

Huehnerschaender
28-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Hi,

it's me again...
I have a question to the software renderer...

Is it "normal" that I can only achieve FPS between 11 and 30 while only drawing some textures on the screen? I use methods like RenderEffect, RotateEffect and TextureMap. In Hardwaremode the same scene achieves about 200 FPS (windowed) and 800 (fullscreen).
So my question: Am I doing something wrong? If the Software Renderer is that slow (I am talking about an Centrino 1,7 Ghz Laptop which achieves only 11 FPS), so why do I need it anyway? The software Renderer seems also to do no antialiasing so rotations etc. look really "ugly". This is no criticism, it's just a question if I am doing something wrong, because I want to know what I should go on for. If hardware mode is the only thing I can achieve FPS I need then I know what to tell the "users" what hardware they must have.
Greetings,
Dirk

LP
30-08-2004, 12:49 AM
In PowerDraw3 pre-release, software renderer had few performance issues. However, the frame rate drop to 30 FPS is usually because the entire rendering buffer is converted from X4R4G4B4 format to R5G6B5 on the fly; even for 640x480, this is slow process, especially when rendering to Video Memory (I've tried putting primary DirectDraw surface in System memory but that gave me the same result). The main slow down of software renderer is when Texture Mapping with one or more effects (i.e. [EffectSrcAlpha or EffectAdd]).
For Asphyre I have a unit with very fast conversions and I'll try to make multiple formats in Software Renderer, which will speed things up. Before that, I think it's realistic not to expect anything higher than 12-15 FPS in Software Renderer.

- Lifepower

P.S. Asphyre is 99% finished... been doing new Component Icons for the whole day and not much progress (I can program and do 3D design... but when it comes to 2D, I'm pretty useless you know...)

Huehnerschaender
30-08-2004, 06:47 AM
Hi Lifepower,

99% finished? WOW!!! I am very happy to hear this... I am expecting the full release with big excitement :lol:
Thank you for your explanation of the Software-Renderer.
Is it possible to gain speed by deciding at the beginning if the PC has 3D hardware and if not then loading all images in R5G6B5 format?
I use only one effect at a moment until now. Not combining any of them.

LP
30-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Well, software renderer supports A4R4G4B4 format only (all internal rendering is made in this format and then the active buffer is converted to secondary DirectDraw buffers in either A8R8G8B8 or R5G6B5).

snorga
31-08-2004, 01:33 PM
P.S. Asphyre is 99% finished... been doing new Component Icons for the whole day and not much progress

Nice, great news! :D