PDA

View Full Version : Cross-Platform Game Compo?

WILL
16-09-2004, 01:39 AM
What do you guys(or gals) feel about having a Kylix game compatition?

Basically, you have to write a game with Delphi/Kylix, GNU Pascal or Free Pascal, or any other known Pascal compiler(using cross-platform technologies only of course) that can be compiled in at least 2 OS platforms and released(with source code) within a specific set deadline? Basically the enteries would be judged on how well each port of their game does compaired to the others, the number of ports they were able to release, the quality of the graphics, sound and game control of each and of course an overall gameplay score.

Specifics of the contest do not have to follow the exact criteria, but the basic idea of the cross-platfom basis of the contest.

Thoughts, ideas?

Traveler
16-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Seems a pretty good idea! Though I'm not entirely sure if such a compo will draw many (enough) partcipants.
I wonder how many of us have the means (and knowledge) to create a cross-platform game.

I like the idea of a compo, but given the fact that it'll be our first, I think we should aim for a more broader audience, and see how that one develops. If there's a lot of interest, chances are a compo with more demanding rules, like yours will get some as well.

wilbur989
17-09-2004, 01:40 PM
I agree with traveler to an extent. I think that a compo that would focus on just cross-platform would be a little restrictive but given enough time it would allow for some learning experiences also.

I don't speak for anybody else but I tend to need a purpose for having to learn something to actually do it. Otherwise it won't get done.

I also think though that a broader rule set will bring more into the compo. But it would be feasible to add to the score of someone if they did actually make it cross-platform.

anyway these are my ramblings on it.

WILL
18-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Well the whole point of the Compo is to promote cross-platform game development. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll just have a bunch of Win32 only DirectX games made in Delphi.

Try nothing new, learn nothing new, aspire to nothing more...

wilbur989
18-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Very Very True. My point I guess that you shouldn't expect a hught responce at first. But I do agree that it will foster more activity in the community and may even bring more interest into it. It only becomes a pass the word type senerio.

-Jeremy

tux
18-09-2004, 07:43 PM
i think a competition will be quite good :D but mabey having the site running for a few months is better :P

MikeS
21-09-2004, 07:50 PM
I would enter the competition! I want the new site up first though, aswell.

;)

Traveler
22-09-2004, 08:21 AM
I would enter the competition! I want the new site up first though, aswell.

We're working on it!
I'm about 70% done with the graphics and WILL is working hard to finish up the last series of the more advanced features.

MikeS
22-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Tis great news.

Keep up the hard work.

:)