PDA

View Full Version : Pre April 2014 - Welcome to PGD! Make your first post here....

Pages : [1] 2

WILL
07-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Important - The links etc. in this post may no longer be valid - AthenaOfDelphi (PGD Community Manager)

Hello all new members and a very warm welcome to Pascal Game Development, or PGD for short.

This is a friendly community of game, library and tool developers who use Pascal-based languages to program. I think it's safe to say that this community is rather unique in both context and range of it's members. There is everyone from students to professional game developers who work on games for a living right here in the very community you have become a part of. And we are always looking to meet new Pascal developers and see some of the cool things that you are working on.

First few things to do here:

This is a great community, but it also has a lot of features and information that might not stand out as well as we had hoped. In an effort to help guide you a bit before you start exploring the site, here are a few things you might want to check out first!

Have a read of the FAQ (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/faq.php); (There is a link under the Forum tab of the site menu!)

Forum Rules and Conduct Policies (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/faq.php?faq=rules)
See Who Runs PGD (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/faq.php?faq=pgd_staff)
Maybe learn more about what PGD is and it's history (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/faq.php?faq=misc#faq_whatis_pgd)?

Make your first post here by clicking the Reply button (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/newreply.php?p=82630&noquote=1)!

This is important as it will allow us to know you want to be un-moderated and start posting on the site!
This also allows you to introduce yourself and start meeting other developers on the site.

Bookmark us! (You will want to come back and visit often don't you?)

You can also follow us on Twitter @jkamcmillen (http://twitter.com/#%21/jkamcmillen)!
We also have a Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_170041353008050) too!
Last, but not least is all the videos on the YouTube channel, PascalGameDev (http://www.youtube.com/user/PascalGameDev).

Come back later and check back up on us. It may take a bit of time to approve your posts and set you as a Regular Member, but unless you come back, it won't do you any good. And we really do want you to be a member of the site!

Besides just forums, we also post exciting news and announcements (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/content.php) on the site's home page!
Each month I post a News Round-up informing you what happened in the last little while. (Can you tell what my gaming/geeky t-shirts are from?)
There is an RSS Feed (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/external.php?do=rss&type=newcontent&sectionid=1&days=120&count=10) you can subscribe to!

A Note on Spam:

Another thing our members enjoy is the complete lack of visible spam in our forums! Not every forum can say the same. Look for some, we dare you! You can email either myself at contact@pascalgamer.com or any of the other staff at PGD (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/faq.php?faq=pgd_staff#faq_pgd_staff_members) and we'll do our best to find out how it got there, remove it and prevent it from showing up again.

We would like to make your use of PGD as nice and friendly as possible, however the only sure way to keep the spammers from getting to you is to be 100% sure that you are indeed human before letting you post anywhere on the site. Spam bots are getting smarter and are learning to get past even the most renowned "human verification" measures such as even Google's reCAPTCHA (http://www.google.com/recaptcha). As such the only way to keep them out completely is to put an actual person on it.

Fear not, we won't forget about you and we do frequent check-ups on the site to approve posts, delete the hidden spam attempts and 'un-moderate' new members. (That's you!)

So please make this thread your first place you post and tell us something about yourself...

dogma
08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Howdy Im Jack.

WILL
08-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Howdy Im Jack.

Hi Jack! Welcome to PGD, you're all setup to post anywhere on the site! :)

dogma
08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Thank you.

AtWac
09-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Hello, i am a "pascalprogrammer" from Sweden. I like this page and find it interesting :)

Peace. / AtWac

WILL
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Hello, i am a "pascalprogrammer" from Sweden. I like this page and find it interesting :)

Peace. / AtWac

Welcome to PGD!

Ñuño Martínez
11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Hello dogma and AtWac!

paul_nicholls
11-01-2012, 07:48 PM
Welcome to PGD dogma and AtWac! :)

santiago14
19-01-2012, 12:31 AM
My name is Santiago Russo, I am a software developer.
I am researching midletpascal for use in mobile development.
Thanks for having me in your community.
Sorry for my English.

WILL
19-01-2012, 05:44 AM
Hi Santiago! Welcome to the PGD community.

I have set you up as an un-moderated member of the site now. You can now post anywhere in the forums now. :)

Please have a look at the Welcome thread in the New Members forum to see how you can get a jump start in the community.

MIDlet Pascal was a pretty neat project while it was commercial. I'm not sure about the activity now that it's open source. Have a good read thru of the MIDlet Pascal threads to see what the latest is. You may have to go to the new site it's self to read more. I think interest has dwindled a little bit in it with all the iOS and Android development using Free Pascal and Oxygene for Java that has started to take off.

What platforms were you interested in developing for?

santiago14
19-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks Will.
I am interested in developing for Symbian and Android.
I have a client who needs an application on their phones with Symbian (Nokia). It is not that important, but it is necessary to do it.
What do you recommend for developing mobile applications?
Parallel Java with Netbeans I am studying, do you think I'm right?
Oxygene and Free Pascal are recommended for development in Symbian and Android?

Santiago.

WILL
19-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Well I can't tell you what is right or wrong for other options. That is on you and the resukting app you make for the device you are working on. If it works and it runs well for what you are doing, then it's probably a good enough solution until you can no longer make your apps do what you need to do. That's where you go find something better. :)

Oxygene and Free Pascal are recommended for development in Symbian and Android?

Well for Android, Oxygene for Java and Free Pascal definitely. As far as Symbian, I couldn't tell you. It's not as popular and thee isn't much talk here about it. The big deal for Android is of course the phones and new tablets and Free Pascal has been made to create native applications, where as Oxygene for Java is a new commercial product that will allow you to make Object Pascal apps that will compile to native Java byte code, which will work quite well on Android devices.

I'm an iOS fan myself, but there are others who could guide you with Free Pascal. Also you can get lots of great information about Android from RemObjects. I'd personally love to see people making games with RemObject's stuff, but it's up to you to choose what is best for you to use.

Read more about both at:

Free Pascal - www.freepascal.org (http://www.freepascal.org)
Oxygene for Java - www.remobjects.com (http://www.remobjects.com/oxygene/java.aspx)

pixelwriter
25-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm not a game developer, but interested in graphics programming with Pascal,
at this moment I'm interested if the Phenomenon development is planned to
continue, I believe software rendering has unlimited potential because it can be
parallelised by SSE, CPU threads and OpenCL.

WILL
27-01-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm not a game developer, but interested in graphics programming with Pascal,
at this moment I'm interested if the Phenomenon development is planned to
continue, I believe software rendering has unlimited potential because it can be
parallelised by SSE, CPU threads and OpenCL.

Hi pixelwriter. Welcome to PGD! :)

Game development and graphics programming are close cousins in the community so don't fear to post some of your creations or topics here on the site. I'd love to hear more graphics trick and techniques topics on the site myself.

You are now activated as a regular member of the site so post away! ;)

Northowl
29-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi! I'm new here lol. ;D

I've been programming in Delphi/pascal for 4 years now and I want to improve my knowledge of Delphi from what I've learned in high school.

I'm currently learning Windows API programming with Delphi and after that I'm going to try OpenGL and communication programming.

And I'm starting my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science this year.

WILL
01-02-2012, 03:15 AM
Hi! I'm new here lol. ;D

I've been programming in Delphi/pascal for 4 years now and I want to improve my knowledge of Delphi from what I've learned in high school.

I'm currently learning Windows API programming with Delphi and after that I'm going to try OpenGL and communication programming.

And I'm starting my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science this year.

Welcome to PGD Northowl! You are now un-moderated and free to post anywhere on the site.

There are some great places to start to learn different APIs including all kinds of OpenGL stuff.

Suggestion: Have a read through some older posts (try a search) and feel free to create a new thread if you'd like to get feedback on a project you are working on or just want to show it off. :)

vampm
22-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi all! I am new. I made a basic 3d engine (just a rotating 3d wireframe cube) in borland pascal, 1992 compiler (!), use the graph unit for pixel on/off, and run through dosbox! I recently switched to delphi7 to make it a real app, and not an emulated one!

WILL
22-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi all! I am new. I made a basic 3d engine (just a rotating 3d wireframe cube) in borland pascal, 1992 compiler (!), use the graph unit for pixel on/off, and run through dosbox! I recently switched to delphi7 to make it a real app, and not an emulated one!

Welcome vampm! Sorry I forgot to actually un-moderate you from your PM. :P Forgive me if you will, at least you know for sure that I too am human. ;) You are un-moderated now!

Looks like you've had quite the historical experience with Pascal. Glad to see you are updating. Delphi 7 however is still quite old, you may have to upgrade soon to keep up with current platforms. Don't worry though there are many options these days free and paid. There is a new version of Delphi called Starter Edition that will allow you to get the latest for a much lower cost than previously only offered.

What types of game programming were you interested in starting?

madwoody
22-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Welcome vampm! Where can we see your cube? :P

vampm
22-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Thats ok WILL, no problem!!! Actually I used borland, because thats what I learned @ 2004-5 at school. I loved its simple IDE environment, thats a very important thing in order to program more comfortable. Also I used it because of my limited knowledge. I dont like the "new" trends of microsoft (thats a whole discussion, but whatever..) so I found delphi-7, and since I know some pascal, I can move easier.

here is the real mode in dosbox!!! :P

For start I just want to do graphics only. I dont know if I this engine is going to be suitable for games. This just for fun!!! But I would like to make something like an simple rpg, with anime-like characters.

WILL
22-02-2012, 11:21 PM
For start I just want to do graphics only. I dont know if I this engine is going to be suitable for games. This just for fun!!! But I would like to make something like an simple rpg, with anime-like characters.

Well getting into graphics I'd recommend JEDI-SDL to start. It's mostly 2D which is the best way to start with graphics to understand how to work with sprites, loading and unloading these and other "assets." Then you can move onto other libraries and API to do more advanced stuff.

As much as RPGs might be fun to play, I'd steer WAY clear of them for learning to program. They require way too much premade graphics and take a huge amount of development time. Most new programmers try to do an RPG as a first project and give up on programming altogether. Instead why not try some more classic game models like Pac-Man, Pong or a simple shooter?

These other alternatives might not seem as exciting as making the next Final Fantasy, but trust me you'll learn nothing more or different from making and RPG other than you shouldn't have started with an RPG. :)

Other alternatives could also be a platformer, scrolling shooter, maze game (like Pac-man, Lock-n-Chase or Night Stalker) or a puzzle game.

These are of course just my recommendations.

vampm
23-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Ok, I ll keep in mind!!! I started delphi-7 with delphix in order to use ddraw, which is very fast in pixel operations. I am going to post in a proper section all my queries because I am new in directx staff, and in delphi. See ya there!!!:)

paul_nicholls
23-02-2012, 03:36 AM
Welcome to PGD vampm! Keep up the great work...some good beginnings there :)
I love graphics ;)

SilverWarior
23-02-2012, 04:32 AM
@vampm
Like it has been sad, creating an RPG game isn't an easy task. I'm curently writing an article on making an RPG based battle system and must say that code for trhis RPG combat system and inventory managment already excedes 1300 lines of code and coments. But this is actualy just a fraction of the whole game.
Anywhay if it still interests you wait for me to finish the article so that you could see atleast how to make this small part of the RPG game.

As for the graphics I would try to stay away from ddraw becouse it sems that it's suport is slowly being canceled by Microsoft. I have many old games wich use ddraw for graphic and wich doesn't run properly on newer graphics cards and newer OS-es like Windows Vista or Windows 7.
You could use Andora2D instead of DelphiX wich uses either DirectX or OpenGL instead of ddraw and offers the same functionality. Basicly usage of Andora2D is so similar to DelphiX that you could easily port your project from DelphiX to Andora2D with minimal changes in sourcecode.
But unfortunatly there hasnt been much development on Andora2D in the last two years so it may contains some bugs wich may or may not be fixed in the future.

pitfiend
26-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Hi, I'm Heinz from Lima, Peru. I have a lot of skills in Delphi and some other languages, and I want to learn more.

WILL
26-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi, I'm Heinz from Lima, Peru. I have a lot of skills in Delphi and some other languages, and I want to learn more.

Hi Heinz, welcome to PGD! :) I've un-moderated you so you may now strike up a conversation or reply to other threads on the forums.

We are working on increasing the amount of beginners tutorials that you can read from the Home section of the site. Check back there soon for when they show up!

pitfiend
26-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi Heinz, welcome to PGD! :) I've un-moderated you so you may now strike up a conversation or reply to other threads on the forums.

We are working on increasing the amount of beginners tutorials that you can read from the Home section of the site. Check back there soon for when they show up!

Thanks! I don't take myself for a noob, having new stuff to learn is always good business. Maybe some day I will finish some held projects... who knows?

paul_nicholls
26-02-2012, 10:32 PM

Welcome to PGD Heinz! :)

You are from Peru, eh? Neat! I have always wanted to go there and see the temples...

cheers,
Paul

WILL
27-02-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks! I don't take myself for a noob, having new stuff to learn is always good business. Maybe some day I will finish some held projects... who knows?

I didn't mean to imply that you were. :) We are currently focusing on what we lack the most right now and thats beginner tutorials sadly. We do plan on continuing on with more advanced topics. You'll find that PGD has a whole wealth of user levels for it's membership. Tutorials are in a sad state right now, but we're working on it.

If you have partially completed projects, you should post about them in the Your Projects section of the site. It's always inspiring to see what others are doing and sometimes it helps the poster themself for motivation to hear the reactions and feedback of others.

pitfiend
27-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I didn't mean to imply that you were. :) We are currently focusing on what we lack the most right now and thats beginner tutorials sadly. We do plan on continuing on with more advanced topics. You'll find that PGD has a whole wealth of user levels for it's membership. Tutorials are in a sad state right now, but we're working on it.

If you have partially completed projects, you should post about them in the Your Projects section of the site. It's always inspiring to see what others are doing and sometimes it helps the poster themself for motivation to hear the reactions and feedback of others.

@Will, it's good enough for me to see that this community is living and kicking. You know, there are too much ones that are no more. My projects are not game related, many are for personal use. I'll try to contribute with my knowledge instead. I'm also willing to try anything worthy and promising, as soon as I have some free time. Thanks for your warm welcome.

@Paul, you are welcome to visit this beautiful country, there are lots of things more than just dusty temples ;D, you can go to beachs, stone forest, deserts, rain forest, jungle, mountains and of course some pretty cities... really, it's a big and nice country. And don't forget our food and drinks, some of the best and tasty in the world.

paul_nicholls
27-02-2012, 04:21 AM
@Will, it's good enough for me to see that this community is living and kicking. You know, there are too much ones that are no more. My projects are not game related, many are for personal use. I'll try to contribute with my knowledge instead. I'm also willing to try anything worthy and promising, as soon as I have some free time. Thanks for your warm welcome.

Just remember, one man's personal project is another man's treasure ;) Chances someone here would be interested to hear about them :D

@Paul, you are welcome to visit this beautiful country, there are lots of things more than just dusty temples ;D, you can go to beachs, stone forest, deserts, rain forest, jungle, mountains and of course some pretty cities... really, it's a big and nice country. And don't forget our food and drinks, some of the best and tasty in the world.

haha! thanks for the update on Peru, I didn't really know much about the country...sounds very nice, varied, and interesting :)

cheers,
Paul

adam277
09-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Hello,

Starting a new course in September with pascal programming in it.
So figured, might as well learn it now.

WILL
12-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Welcome to PGD Adam! :)

I've set you up and you are ready to post on the forums now. Good luck learning Pascal, it's an awesome language to learn. After you've gotten your programming skills squared away don't stop there though. There are lots of great libraries and API headers for Pascal and all the other newer dialects that you can do some impressive stuff with.

Once you have learned enough of the language I'd suggest starting with the JEDI-SDL library to learn the basics of working with graphics, audio, mouse, keyboard and the rest before first as you'll find this the nicest way to learn how to start making games with Pascal.

A great site to get a kick-start on learning Pascal is the Pascal Programming for Schools website (http://www.pp4s.co.uk/) (PP4S for short) they are an affiliate of ours and we hope you will find their tutorials and lessons useful.

Hello,

Starting a new course in September with pascal programming in it.
So figured, might as well learn it now.

Akarin
16-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Hello, I am Trung Le from Vietnam. I was wandering around the site for a while but this is the first time I post something :). In Vietnam we don't use Pascal for software development but I find it interesting and have learned/used it for 8 years. Hope we can get along well :).

WILL
18-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Welcome to PGD!

I'm sure you'll find many resources here to help you continue to use your Pascal skills in making fun games. I've activated you and you are ready to start posting in the other forums. Enjoy! :)

Hello, I am Trung Le from Vietnam. I was wandering around the site for a while but this is the first time I post something :). In Vietnam we don't use Pascal for software development but I find it interesting and have learned/used it for 8 years. Hope we can get along well :).

jemby
19-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Hello :) Thought I'd join here as Pascal and Games are interests of mine. :P

WILL
19-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Hi jemby, welcome to PGD!

I've un-moderated you so you can now take part in discussions in the PGD forums. Don't be shy start a conversation too if you like.

Hello :) Thought I'd join here as Pascal and Games are interests of mine. :P

paul_nicholls
19-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Welcome to PGD Adam277, Akarin, and Jemby! I hope you enjoy your stay, and you find lots of useful topics/hints, etc. :)

cheers,
Paul

phibermon
19-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi Adam227, Akarin and Jemby! great to have you on board :D there's lots of people always willing to help with questions and to share knowledge, if you want to create games you've picked a great place :)

3dFoin
21-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi, we have characters with switchable armor parts, mobs like dragon, hydra and goblins :D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wU47vNL-x40/TuXegbRf37I/AAAAAAAAAic/nYfqpASIc3Q/s912/01.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-eP5GPWZZono/TuXegnKogzI/AAAAAAAAAiY/IoOnusA8uuc/s912/02.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rMBEZ7sI3MA/TuXeiFQ5C8I/AAAAAAAAAjE/WvlbDWXg6ds/s912/08.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-l7gDxfb8XF4/TqHE1hsQilI/AAAAAAAAAVM/rELvRZRUjM8/s800/01.jpg

http://3dfoin.com

FelipeFS
23-03-2012, 10:05 PM
My name is Felipe Ferreira. I'm from Brazil, and I'm(most of the time) a Pascal programmer.

SilverWarior
24-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi Felpie!
Welcome to PGD. I hope your stay here would be pleasant and that you will learn lots of new things.
Also if you have an knowledge wich might come in handy in game development don't be afraid to share it with others.

WILL
24-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Hello 3dFoin! Welcome to PGD. I have un-moderated your account so you can now post in the forums. It looks like you are a 3D artist, please feel free to offer your services in the Jobs & Resumes forum of the site! :)

My name is Felipe Ferreira. I'm from Brazil, and I'm(most of the time) a Pascal programmer.

Hi and welcome to PGD Felipe! :) I've un-moderated you and you can now post to all areas of the forums.

paul_nicholls
25-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Hi Felipe and and 3dFoin, welcome to PGD! :)

igmac
30-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi everyone.

I've just joined so let me introduce myself, albeit briefly.

My name is Ian Macintosh and I've been programming in Pascal on and off for some 25 odd years on various applications, mostly business and mostly SQL based. I currently live just outside of London. I have an ongoing interest in game development, though sadly only as a hobby. However, it's a great hobby!

At present, I have a need for a Network Game Library (LGPL) and have tried the fpc-pascal list for interested co-developers, comment and criticism, though without success. Once my membership here is approved, I'll post the details in the networking forum and hopefully find a few interested people on this site.

Regards,

Ian.

Kapitany
30-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Hello! My name is Kapitany, and I am from Hungary. I like Pascal and Delphi programming, I write Pascal programs since the 1980's.

WILL
30-03-2012, 07:53 PM
Welcome to both igmac and Kapitany! It's great to have some Pascal veterans come join us here at PGD.

You have both been UN-moderated and can now post in the forums. If you haven't already, please read the first post of this thread and get to know the site better.

Also in case you haven't looked yet, it was just announced today on the front page of the site that the PGD Challenge has started. Please check it out and if you are up for a challenge why not try your hand in this fun mini competition.

Happy coding and enjoy!

Carver413
30-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi everyone.
At present, I have a need for a Network Game Library (LGPL) and have tried the fpc-pascal list for interested co-developers, comment and criticism, though without success.

I believe I was the one that sent you the link to the PGD it's good to see you made it. Our numbers are few so every new member counts. I hope your stay here is a pleasant one.

Carver413
30-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Hello! My name is Kapitany, and I am from Hungary. I like Pascal and Delphi programming, I write Pascal programs since the 1980's.
Great , more new faces

smexhy
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Hello, i'm Sam, from Romania and i'm 15. I program basics in lazarus. I hope to be a good programmer one day, and make the games I want.

WILL
06-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Hi Sam! Welcome to PGD. :)

We have a few other high school students on this site as well. I hope you can connect with them sometime.

There are also a good few Lazarus users, myself included too. It's a great tool for making cross-platform games on the top 3 major OSes out there.

I have un-moderated you and you are now ready to start posting in the other forums of the site. Enjoy! :)

Hello, i'm Sam, from Romania and i'm 15. I program basics in lazarus. I hope to be a good programmer one day, and make the games I want.

smexhy
06-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi Sam! Welcome to PGD. :)

We have a few other high school students on this site as well. I hope you can connect with them sometime.

There are also a good few Lazarus users, myself included too. It's a great tool for making cross-platform games on the top 3 major OSes out there.

I have un-moderated you and you are now ready to start posting in the other forums of the site. Enjoy! :)

Thanks WILL! Seems like a great community until now :D
PS: Where can i ask for help on my programs if i get stuck ? Thank you!

Micronix-TRSI
24-04-2012, 04:37 AM
Hello,

just reactivated my account. After a period of sourcecode-download it is time to payback!

WILL
24-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi and welcome to PGD!

From the sounds of it, you have some cool project to show off. I look forward to seeing what you have done. :)

Please be sure to read the forum rules under the FAQ (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/faq.php?faq=conduct#faq_rules)! I've unmoderated you so you may now post elsewhere on the site.

Hello,

just reactivated my account. After a period of sourcecode-download it is time to payback!

Ñuño Martínez
25-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Welcome, new fellows! :)

c4rterc4rter
29-04-2012, 01:47 PM
From Spain a new member

WILL
30-04-2012, 09:19 AM
From Spain a new member

Welcome to PGD!

I've un-moderated you and you can now post in the forums freely. Enjoy your new access to the community. :)

Micronix-TRSI
30-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Hello there,

my real Name is Thomas and i started computer science with my older brother on a Texas Instruments 99-4A. Then I enjoyed Commodore Computers (C-116/VC=20/Plus4/C=64/Amiga). On High-School i learned Turbo Pascal and that is the reason why i like http:\\www.pascalgamedevelopment.com. I wrote the handbook of TECHNO MAKER, published by Data Becker.

Feel free to drop me some messages.

HAPPY SUMMERTIME from here!

An english-german joke before ++NO CARRIER

In a coffee-shop in the netherland a woman says to the bar-man: "I become a cup of coffee!"
He shout: "Never!"

burntcustard
30-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi all at Pascal Game Development! I'm finishing off an A-level in computing this year and hope to study computer science with games at university next (academic) year. I've written quite a few little programs including a multiplayer ASCII snake game - all in an old version of Free Pascal (that particular version stretches itself to the length of my screen nicely). I hope to show off stuff I make and learn from other members here :)

WILL
01-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi all at Pascal Game Development!

Hi and welcome to PGD! :)

Free Pascal has really come along in the years since it was first created and is still widely used and in many cases a key to pioneering on new platforms for the Object Pascal language. Feel free to post projects, ideas and ask questions here in the forums!

I have un-moderated you and you are now free to post anywhere in the community forums. Enjoy and happy coding! ;)

sixten
05-05-2012, 04:12 PM
New member from Sweden here.
Console Linux and DOS apps is mostly what i do.

laggyluk
08-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Hello every one. After years of doing different stuff im going back to writing games in delphi ;)

Neslib
08-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi, I'm Erik from San Diego, CA. I have been developing in Pascal/Delphi since Turbo Pascal 3.0 and always had a big interest in game development. Recent contributions to the community include a class wrapper for ZenGL (http://zengl.org/forum/index.php/topic,158.0.html) and a FreePascal/Delphi class library for App Game Kit (http://www.appgamekit.com/).

sixten
08-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Hello!

Sixten from Sweden here!

sixten
13-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Wake up Will and the mods.. This sucks!

/ Fredrik

AthenaOfDelphi
13-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi sixten,

Sorry for the delay. I guess everyone is fairly busy.

I've been checking the forums but I've not seen any of your posts, so apologies. I have moved your account to the registered users group.

Welcome to PGD

SilverWarior
14-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Hi sixten!

It seems there is a glitch in our forum becouse it wasn't showing that there were no new unread posts in New Members section even when they were. I just had to delete two spam post wich were posted in that section. If our forum wouldn't be configured like it is we would have flod of theese spam post all over the place.

So I apologize again for the delay.

WILL
14-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Hello and welcome sixten, Neslib and laggyluk to PGD!

So sorry for the wait, I've been away so I've not had the opportunity to keep an eye on PGD as I usually do.

I have un-moderated all of you guys and you can all now post in the forums. Feel free to post about what you are up to and let others know what your interests are.

WILL
14-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Wake up Will and the mods.. This sucks!

/ Fredrik

Sorry, I've been away and it seems like we haven't gotten all the Super Moderator privileges setup fully yet. You should be good to go now. I'll talk to Athena about it so we can get it corrected and the other moderators can do their job. I appreciate your patience.

Feel free to post about the forums now. :)

paul_nicholls
14-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Welcome to PGD sixten, Neslib and laggyluk! I hope you enjoy your stay :)

cheers,
Paul

sandokan
16-05-2012, 06:45 PM
ok, here is my first post:
the e-mail notification you sent contains a lot of HTML tags, you could send e-mail with both HTML and plain text formats, this will be a good improvement as HTML in plain text is difficult to read..
ciao

jlkawaii
16-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Hello to all :)
i'm a newbee here, eager to learn m(U.U)m !

Thank you.
jlkawaii.

AthenaOfDelphi
17-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Hi sandokan,

Welcome to PGD, you can now post in the other forums.

Regards

WILL
17-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi jlkawaii, welcome to PGD! :)

This is a great place to learn about making games using Pascal. I've set you up to post freely in the forums now. Enjoy!

Hello to all :)
i'm a newbee here, eager to learn m(U.U)m !

Thank you.
jlkawaii.

mobetta8
23-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Whats up everybody

Ñuño Martínez
23-05-2012, 04:46 PM
¡Bienvenido, Sandocán! :D

Ñuño Martínez
23-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Welcome to PGD Jikawaii. :)

mobetta8
23-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Hey everybody
Mo here 8)

paul_nicholls
23-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Hi jlkawaii and Mo, welcome!! :D

WILL
24-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Hello Mo and welcome to PGD! :)

I've approved your posts and I've set you as an un-moderated member so you can now post elsewhere in the forums. Enjoy and happy coding!

Hey everybody
Mo here 8)

Taurusko
27-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Hello !
Firstly, let me introduce myself. My name is Marek and I come to this humble place from Slovakia. Ive been studying IT on a university for a year now. In our courses we had to work in Pascal (Lazarus), so thats the main reason why I am here.
Lately (after my friend started making some epic stuff in Lazarus) I decided to do something more. Ive started programming my own simple games.
Maybe, one day, I will finish something worth sharing and show it to the world :)

Anyway, glad to be here and hope to see you in the forums !

Cheers
T.

MEI_24
30-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Hello everybody. I'm new in this forum...

SilverWarior
30-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Helo MEI-24!
Welcome to our comunity!
I hope your stay here would be as pleasend as posible and that you'll find all the information that you seek.
I also encourage you to share your knowledge with others. You can do this by answering to questions posted by other users, you can show us some code snipets you might have, or if you feel into you can even go and write a whole tutorial about something useful by yourself.

erjorgito
31-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Hello

I need help with some Pascal stuff, so I signed up here

Thanks!

WILL
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the forums Taurusko! :)

WILL
03-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Welcome to PGD! :) You've been un-moderated and can now post in the other topic forums. Enjoy your time with us! :)

Hello

I need help with some Pascal stuff, so I signed up here

Thanks!

dragonflyofgold
08-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi,

i'm develop atm with Delphi XE2 and DirectX. I join the forum to get help and search for more informations.

DfoG

WILL
08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Welcome to PGD dragonflyofgold! :)

You should be un-moderated now and can post anywhere in the forums. Enjoy!

Hi,

i'm develop atm with Delphi XE2 and DirectX. I join the forum to get help and search for more informations.

DfoG

Simicro
10-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi I'm a Pascal beginner and I joined this forum to post a message to encourage Felipe with his "Machina Engine DevPascal - IDE for Free Pascal (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?13177-Machina-Engine-DevPascal-IDE-for-Free-Pascal)" project.

Please allow me to post.

Thanks.

Simicro
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi,

Can you please allow me to post. I would like to participate in theMachina Engine DevPascal - IDE for Free Pascal (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?13177-Machina-Engine-DevPascal-IDE-for-Free-Pascal) thread

Thanks

Draghi
19-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Hey,
I'm Michael, more seen as "Draghi" online.

I'm a highschool student with the aim of becoming a Game Engine Programmer and/or starting my own game development company.
I was originally programming through Game Maker. When I came up to high school I started learning to program in Delphi, since then I've swapped to Lazarus and Have started planning, programming and testing my first "proper" game (Not things like pong eg.).

The most complicated things that I have programmed are:

Pixel Perfect Collisions (With multiple "Collision" types)
Perlin noise based 2D landscape generator.

I hope that I can be of benefit to the community and that the community can be of benefit to me.

Zed
19-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Hi,

I am a Delphi developer and I want to make IOS games as a hobby.

I think PGD is a great forum.

Cheers,

Jose Carlos.

Zed
21-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi,

I am using delphi since version 3 and now want to make some IOS game, and ZenGL is a great engine to this.

Thanks in advance,

Zed.

devwave
25-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Hello
I'm Delphi 2010 developer and wanna join the forum.
Lastly I'm learning about graphics, physics, animations and sounds in 3D, but I'm getting stuck in some parts and I want some help.
:D

Ialo
27-06-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm human been. Some of my friends don't believe that!

SilverWarior
27-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm human been. Some of my friends don't believe that!

Can you prove that by teeling where are you from and what do you do?
Sorry for skepticizem but in my years working with computers I have seen bot programs wich are more than capable of writing several of those simple sentances to convince you that they are human indeed.

BTW why did you open two threads?

Fakedo0r
29-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi, I'm a developer, I am interested in game development, so I signed. Greetings :)

AthenaOfDelphi
30-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi Simicro, Draghi, Zed, devwave and Fakedo0r,

Sorry about any delays in getting access to the forums, the moderators have been keeping an eye open for a particular issue with the forums so I can get a chance to investigate it. Unfortunately, that's meant leaving you guys hanging a while, so apologies for that.

Welcome to PGD, enjoy your time with us :)

AthenaOfDelphi
30-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Ialo,

Please reply... if you don't you won't be moved to the unmoderated group.

raysto
01-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi I'm raysto and my english is not the best, because I'm from germany.
I'm a programmer and have experience with JS, PHP, C++, Pascal.
I'm very interested in the NDS Pascal compiler

WILL
01-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Hey raysto! Welcome to PGD. You've been unmoderated so please enjoy the community! :)

Hi I'm raysto and my english is not the best, because I'm from germany.
I'm a programmer and have experience with JS, PHP, C++, Pascal.
I'm very interested in the NDS Pascal compiler

raysto
02-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Sorry to post this here, but I cant post anything anywhere. I have really no permissions (Except of here)

SilverWarior
02-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Sorry to post this here, but I cant post anything anywhere. I have really no permissions (Except of here)

Will did unmoderated you so you should be able to post everywhere.

WILL
03-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Will did unmoderated you so you should be able to post everywhere.

Yup I double checked. You are good to go. Try posting to another forum. :)

CharlesON
06-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Learning Pascal. Looking forward to game development. Its hell lot more tough than I expected it to be.

Roland Chastain
07-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Hello ! I write Basic and Pascal for my pleasure. Currently I use Free-Pascal and Flash-Pascal. http://flashpascal.execute.re/

WILL
09-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Welcome CharlesON and Roland!

Sorry for any delays, but you've got access to post anywhere on the site now so enjoy. :)

As for Flash-Pascal, sadly Adobe publicly announced that they would be dropping support for it as a web browser plugin, but would keep it as a desktop only technology. (This may need to be verified as I keep getting lots of Flash updates lately for my Mac running FireFox. Perhaps this is the rush of last minute fixed before the Flash dev team goes silent on the browsers.) At least we'll always have FPC.

Cybermonkey
09-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Welcome CharlesON and Roland!

As for Flash-Pascal, sadly Adobe publicly announced that they would be dropping support for it as a web browser plugin, but would keep it as a desktop only technology. (This may need to be verified as I keep getting lots of Flash updates lately for my Mac running FireFox. Perhaps this is the rush of last minute fixed before the Flash dev team goes silent on the browsers.) At least we'll always have FPC.
I thought it was the mobile flash player for which the development stopped and (unfortunately) the Linux flash player support will end soon. Seems not to affect Windows or Mac OS.

Roland Chastain
11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Thanks for your welcome. :)

Flash Pascal is a Pascal compiler that builds Flash (SWF) files. It is developped by a french programmer whose name is Paul Toth.

You can see here a version with an english documentation : http://flashpascal.sourceforge.net

The link I gave in my previous post is for the latest version : http://flashpascal.execute.re/

Best regards.

Roland

Ñuño Martínez
13-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Welcome Roland

Flash Pascal is pretty nice. I did a few small "demos" with it and it's much more comfortable than that ugly Action Script. Even I was wondering to (re)write a more standard RTL for Flash Pascal but I have a lot of projects and no time enough for all them.

Edwin Handoko
14-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm a beginner to Object Pascal, and I'm interested in game programming. I use the Lazarus IDE, and I'm currently learning ZenGL.

Edwin Handoko
15-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Hi! I'm a beginner to Object Pascal. Currently using Lazarus IDE and ZenGL.

SilverWarior
15-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey guys what should we do with user Ialo? He still hasn't responded. Can you guys sent him an E-Mail so that we see if this guy is realy a person or just some clever bot. Those two threads opened by him are starting to annoy me but I don't wan't to confuse him by just moving or even deleting them if he is a real person.

Aaangel
20-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi I'm Chris, a delphi coder from Denmark.

WILL
21-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Hello Edwin and Aaangel. Welcome to PGD! :)

You've both been approved and authorized to post on the rest of the forums. Enjoy!

WILL
21-07-2012, 06:24 AM
He (Ialo) couldn't reply because he didn't see your messages... they were also moderated because of the thread's moderated status.

Welcome Ialo. If you are a bot may you be destroyed. :) Otherwise, welcome to PGD!

(and please do reply so we know you are legit. thanks!)

SilverWarior
21-07-2012, 01:04 PM
He (Ialo) couldn't reply because he didn't see your messages... they were also moderated because of the thread's moderated status.

So I should have approved my messages for him to be able to see them? Also wouldnt then those my approved messages become visible to others?

WILL
21-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Well Ialo should have replied to this thread instead of making a new one. I just merged it to this one and in that case you could easily approve your own reply before approving his. I think having the first post moderated caused the whole thread to be moderated, hence yours and Athena's posts were moderated.

Either way next time just merge the new thread to this one and you should be able to do what you were planning. Keep in mind that moderated posts can only be seen by PGD Staff.

Emil
29-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi All,

My name is Emil and I have been programming in Delphi for about 12 years now. Not that I'm any good at it though ;) I have been working on many small personal projects, but right now in my spare time I'm mainly working on a single project I started about 2 years ago concerning image/video processing for amateur astronomy (if you are interested, google lucky imaging, or ask me for more details about my project). The project involves processing parts of thousands of images from a video sequence in order to create a single sharp output image. It is coded in Delphi 7 and makes heavy use of all the CPUs and memory it can get its hands on.

Initially I'm hoping to learn something about assembly and specifically SSE2 instructions as I feel that might be an interesting way to speed up my program. But you never know what other stuff I might learn, it would be cool to see other perspectives on the problems I run into.

Cheers,

Emil

kilon
30-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Hi there , I am a python programmer that is not new to pascal. My introduction to pascal was around 1995 where out of frustration with C++ and MFC I found Delphi and fall in love with it until I found python the last 2 years.

My latest project is a visual coding environment / language currently distributed as a blender add-on that can be found here -> https://github.com/kilon/Ephestos.

My previous project was again python and blender add-on that was capable of making random materials and textures in python with fine control over the randomization that can be found here -> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/System/Gyes

My interest to free pascal has been triggered by the fact that I want something to speed up my python and as you might have guessed it I am no fan of C/C++. I am also considering making the standalone version of my application completely in free pascal. I think my project is related to games since its aimed as a tool for general coding with focus on graphics and audio/music. I am here to learn and ask questions and offer my expertise on python matters or blender.

Emil
31-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi,

I already posted a reply to the other big thread in the forum a couple of days ago, but haven't heard anything since, so I'll try here.

Shorter version this time.

My name is Emil, and I have about 12 years experience in delphi. I currently work on a rather larger project (+- 12.000 lines of code), that I feel could use some speed improvements on crucial parts of the code. I'm specifically thinking about MMX, SSE2 as the project is all about image processing (95% of the time it is doing something with groups of pixels...)

That's about it,

Cheers,

Emil

BranislavDJ
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi,
My name is Branislav and I'm 18 years old.I live in Serbia,and I'm beginner in Pascal programming.I currently am using Turbo Pascal as main tool for programming.
:)

WILL
08-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Hey guys. Welcome to PGD! Sorry for the delay. Feel free to take part in any of the forums now.

TheManFromEarth
11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi all,

My name is imran an I am Pakistani. I am currently a senior computer engineering student in Saudi Arabia. I have loads of experience in programming in Java and Assembly as part of course projects and such things. I also know a bit of python from an AI course I took last semester.

I really have been interested in game development since I first played doom. Now that I have some time and some experience with computers I think it's a perfect time to get my hands dirty. I have played around with some simplified game editors before but I really wanna improve my programming skills so I am looking to work with some real code.

I had a choice between C and Pascal and after comparing two bits of equivalent code from each I immediately fell in love with pascal. I am still quite a noob at pascal but I hope to learn a lot from these forums. I look forward to being an active member here end eventually be able to help out others from what I learn.

len0001
12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
hey all;

this is len lee have started opengl few months a go and i would like to learn more;

hopefully u guys can help me with that :)

Lucas
16-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi,

my name is Luca, pleased to meet you all. I'm an information systems technician from Italy and had some share of Delphi in my school days. My primary occupation involves networking and virtualization, so i'm not really skilled in programming, but I recently became interested in GLScene and i'm now exploring this new world in my spare time little by little. :)

Ñuño Martínez
17-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Hello, new fellows!

I hope you find this place useful. :)

WILL
17-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Hello all! :) Sorry some of you didn't automatically get unmoderated. It seems our auto-unmoderating after post approval is glitching. AthenaOfDelphi has been looking into this. Rest assured that you are all unmoderated now. What does that mean? Well, you can now post everywhere on the forums not just here.

So go forth and enjoy the site. Well welcome you with open arms! :)

hwnd
20-08-2012, 03:07 PM
I wonder when i will be able to post to the topics here?
I wanted to ask about nxPascal, but it wont let me post anything, no replying or anything.

Im real guy, not a spammer.

Hello To Everyone!

Dexter Fung
20-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Hello,

I would like to upload some files I download from delphi3d.net few years ago which include its framework, "DOT". Is it legal to upload ?

But I don't know which board I should post the thread. Anybody can help me?

Thanks in advance,
Dexter Fung.

http://www.prodbsoft.com

WILL
21-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Hello and welcome to PGD! :)

As mentioned in the email you should have received upon registering to the site, there is a human verification process where we have you at least introduce yourself in this forum thread so that we can at least see that you are indeed a human being and not an evil spam bot.

We have actually gotten over 10 individual spam post attempts today alone and it's just past lunch where I am. :o

So thank you for bearing with us towards our locked-tight anti-spam procedures. You'll notice that unlike a lot of other web forums, we don't have any lingering spam that even shows up on the forums. This is how we do it. However since you have gone through this, you no longer have to live with the restriction.

So please go ahead and post, ask questions and let us know about all the cool projects you are working on. Also feel free to post images and even links to your own game projects. There are a lot of smart guys that frequent the forums and would love to have a look at what you are doing.

hwnd
22-08-2012, 10:09 AM
WILL.
I didn't mean to be rude or anything. Sorry, if it looks like i was mean or something, i wasn't. Spam verification is very welcome. I have seen good programming boards (dead, but with useful infos) and just full of spam. It was hard to find good topics.

Thank you WILL, for activating me. Soon i will post my projects. I have many of them.

Regards.

vgo
22-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I would like to upload some files I download from delphi3d.net few years ago which include its framework, "DOT". Is it legal to upload ?

I'd think so, most of the stuff that Tom released was under the "I don't really care what you do with it" license. :)

But I don't know which board I should post the thread. Anybody can help me?

Probably the Graphics forum?

SilverWarior
22-08-2012, 03:15 PM
WILL.
I didn't mean to be rude or anything. Sorry, if it looks like i was mean or something, i wasn't. Spam verification is very welcome. I have seen good programming boards (dead, but with useful infos) and just full of spam. It was hard to find good topics.

Thank you WILL, for activating me. Soon i will post my projects. I have many of them.

Hey don't worry you haven't been rude at all. I must say that I'm glad you sticked around and figured out how to alert us to your atention. As far as I know the rules weren't so strick at the time you joined us.
Anywhay I hope you will enjoy your stay with us.

As for the spamming I'm afraid that it will become harder and harder every year to keep theese forum clean.
If you folow developments on the AI area you probably know that now they have bots which are capable of self lerning (they can learn thinkgs from same manuals as us humans do) and are capable even of having human-like conversation whit you (check http://cleverbot.com/ to se what I mean). To be honest I have already seen several spam posts which indicated that they have been composed by some clever bots to convince us that they are indeed humans.

hwnd
23-08-2012, 08:45 AM
This is actually scary, we created robots that talk and walk and play. And think. Now they are almost using also internet.
But they are not physical robots, but just bots, that think and learn how to spam even more. Amazing progress, if we leave out spam. Im wondering what else comes in near future? Hopefully not EOW.

Rich1952
26-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Hi, everybody my name is Richard just become a new member I have been asked to say a big 'Hello'to you all's.;)

SilverWarior
26-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi Richard!
Welcome to PGD! I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible.
Unfortunately I don't have sufficient permisons to unmoderate you myself so you will have to wait a bit till Will or AthenaOfDelphi (site admins) unmoderate you.
Until then I'm afraid you won't be able to post on the rest of the forum sections.

paul_nicholls
26-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi Richard, welcome to PGD and I hope you enjoy your stay :)

cheers,
Paul

titanicpiano14
26-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Hi! Can't wait to post on the forum!

SilverWarior
27-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Hi titanicpiano14 or should I say Samantha!
Welcome to PGD! I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible. We could always use some artist helping us make our games even better.
Unfortunately I don't have sufficient permisons to unmoderate you myself so you will have to wait a bit till Will or AthenaOfDelphi (site admins) comes and unmoderate you.
Until then I'm afraid you won't be able to post on the rest of the forum sections.

zafarico
27-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Hey everyone my name is Zaf, hope to read a lot of interesting threads here! :)

zafarico
27-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Don't know if it posted the first time, but I'd like to say hello everyone and I hope to read a lot of interesting posts here! :)

SilverWarior
28-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Hi zafarico!
Unfortunately I don't have sufficient permisons to unmoderate you myself so you will have to wait a bit till Will or AthenaOfDelphi (site admins) unmoderate you.

WILL
30-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Hello all new members and welcome to PGD!

I have unmoderated you all and you should be ready to go out into the forums and post as you wish. Please enjoy the site and happy coding! :)

byte
04-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Hello Iam a developper from tunisia

SilverWarior
06-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Hi byte!

SilverWarior
07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
@byte
You have now been unmoderated so feel free to post anywhere on the forum.

Beta.Test555
13-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone

brn2807
19-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone

soecreator
20-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Good day!

My name is Igor Kulakov, i am indie-gamedeveloper. Main projects - wargames: "Soldiers of Empires" (2002), "Soldiers of Empires II" (2012)

SilverWarior
26-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Welcome Beta.Test555, brn2807 and soecreator to Pascal Game Development comunity.
First I would like to apologize to you guys for waiting so long before you got unmoderated. The reason for taking it so long is the fact that currently only site administrators (Will, AthenaOfDelphi) have necessary permisions for unmoderating new members. And our auto promotion system which should unmoderate you when your posts are aproved by site moderators doesn't work as it should.
Anywhay you can now freely post everywhere on the forum as al of you have been unmoderated.
I truly hope that your stay here will be pleasent as it can bee.

paul_nicholls
27-09-2012, 03:38 AM
Hi to Beta.Test555, brn2807 and soecreator, welcome to the forums, I hope you find all the information here that you need and maybe even make some friends along the way :)

cheers,
Paul

flydeadman
30-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Hello!
My name is Ilya, I'm from Brest, Belarus.
I'm searching for my way in pascal coding for high-level projects.
I'm using DX 9 (just while 11 not translated for pascal) for Windows, and OGLES 2 for Linux.

WILL
04-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Hello!
My name is Ilya, I'm from Brest, Belarus.
I'm searching for my way in pascal coding for high-level projects.
I'm using DX 9 (just while 11 not translated for pascal) for Windows, and OGLES 2 for Linux.

I believe that Lifepower has added DirectX 11 support into Asphyre. So you might want to check out that library. Also there are some translated headers by another Russian developer, Clootie who has done some work with DirectX 10, translating demos and headers to Pascal and worked on support for both Delphi and the Free Pascal compilers.

emandt
04-10-2012, 06:45 PM
:)
As I sayd in title!

Byez

RatCamper
05-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Hi there. This is my first post to prove that I'm human and to say hello and introduce myself.I'm trained and self educated in a lot of different languages and disciplines, but for some reason keep coming back to Pascal to solve a problem. Even if it involves porting the Pascal code after I've made it to whatever the program was written in.Currently I'm working on a little project using the Object Pascal extensions of FPC, and Lazarus as my IDE to write a program that is utterly counter intuitive to me. Brutal optimization comes naturally to me, but I'm trying to write something that isn't. It's a sort of tile based game engine like thing using SDL that I'm building up in layers which is admittedly a fairly common technique for me when writing portable code to keep anything that touches the outside world isolated. But this game like thing is focusing on extensibility and maintainability. Not speed. I'm considering what I'd consider a "fork" of my work to turn it into a build-your-own-adventure game using XML to define levels, events, resources etc so pretty much anyone can bash out a game if they have an idea. Admittedly I'm not an XML advocate but it seems like a good way to get structured information into my program and plus it can be read and written easily by pre-existing libs so an IDE based editor built using Lazarus for people that don't want to get their hands dirty at all.If ppcjvm ever supports SDL, and a few other basic necessities I plan on doing a Dalvik VM based port for Android of my idea, plus using fpc to release other from-scratch titles on various platforms including OpenGL based games.If only Bulletlib had pascal bindings and wasn't a shambling mess I'd be in my glory.Also if you are wondering why I'd choose to write an Android game in Pascal rather than Java, it's that I really, really don't like Java. At. All. and for some reason it seems the feeling is mutual.So anyway that's me.

TropicalMonkey
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
It is really irritating as much as it is a necessity now-a-days

WILL
13-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Hello emandt, RatCamper and TropicalMonkey! Welcome to PGD. Sorry for the wait!

You are all now able to post elsewhere in the forums and comment on News items.

RatCamper: If you would like to do Android development with Object Pascal, might I recommend looking into Oxygene for Java. RemObjects is a great company and they are expanding the number of platforms that they provide targeting for. So far with their current set of tools you can target .NET/Mono, Java byte-code and Android! Native Mac OS X and iOS targeting is now in beta!

whtemple1959
19-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Hello,
I am just beginning my journey into programming and a friend invited me to use Pascal.
I am so lost I cannot even find how to start a blog.
I would like to document my adventure and miss steps.
Could some one take pity and tell me where to go to start my blog?
Thanks,
Bill

AthenaOfDelphi
19-10-2012, 12:46 AM
Hi Bill and welcome to PGD :)

The reason you couldn't find where to start a blog is because as a new user you're access to the site is severely limited until you are unmoderated by one of the moderators or an admin. I've approved your opening post so if all goes well, the system should promote you in about 15 minutes time... when that occurs you should find you will be able to start your post. I will check back in the morning (I'm in the UK and am about to go to bed) and make sure the promotions have worked (I've been waiting for a real new member to test it since I made changes to the system a few days ago).

To access the blogs, click the 'Blogs' button at the top of the page and once you're promoted, you should have a 'Create Post' option which will allow you to post.

Hope this helps, I'll check back in the morning and fix your user if you aren't automatically promoted.

paul_nicholls
20-10-2012, 02:06 AM
Hi Bill, welcome to PGD...I hope you find all the help you need while here :)

cheers,
Paul

Rocky Luck
20-10-2012, 01:39 PM
To fulfill the registration requirements, hello to everyone.

Regards ;-}
Dick

3k.mark.3k
01-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Hi Everyone... I've been coding a bit in O. Pas. in my last job... I came from a M$ world (u know, .NET, visual studio languages, etc), and at first I hated this but after months fighting with delphi 5, I managed to survive a bit... and suddenly it came my desire to retake lesson of this language... lol I hope to find a good community here.

Cheers :)

jairgza
02-11-2012, 04:30 AM
Hello!

Very excited to be here

regards

jairgza
02-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Hello

Very exited to be here, learning all i can :)

regards

Ñuño Martínez
02-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Welcome to PGD, jairgza. I hope you find it useful :)

SilverWarior
03-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Welcome to PGD jairgza.
I'm afraid that for now you still won't be able to post on the whole forum. The reason for this is the fact that we have some isues with automatic promotion system. So in the name of whole staff I apologize. I unfortunately don't have suficient rights to manually promote you mself so you will have to wait for site admins to do that. I did contacted site admins about the matter so I hope the problem will get resoled as fast as posible.
For the time being if you do have any urgent questions you can post them here and I'll try to aprove your posts as soon as posible for other members to be able to see them (there still might be some delay since I'm not online all the time).
Also monitor this thread becouse as soon as you get unmoderated we will leave a reply about that.

SilverWarior
03-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Hi Everyone... I've been coding a bit in O. Pas. in my last job... I came from a M$ world (u know, .NET, visual studio languages, etc), and at first I hated this but after months fighting with delphi 5, I managed to survive a bit... and suddenly it came my desire to retake lesson of this language... lol I hope to find a good community here.

I recomend you to go and use either sone newer version of Delphi of FPC/Lazarus (free) instead of Delphi 5. Main reasons fot this is the fact that theese development IDE's contains quite some new features which make programing much easier (Advanced Code Insight, code autocompletion, on the fly syntax checking, etc). They also base on updated units which means that programs you'll made will work on newer operating systems without any problems and with all fetures which I can't guarantee for programs made with Delphi 5.

Also I'm afraid that currently you can't post on the rest of the forum. The rason for this is the fact that we are having some isues with the automatic promotion system. I have already contacted site admins about the problem as you are not hte only one. So I belive the problem will be fixed as soon as posible.

SilverWarior
06-11-2012, 08:02 AM
@jairgza
You have now been unmoderated so you can now freely post around the forum.

SilverWarior
06-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Welcome to PGD 3k.mark.3k and Rocky Luck.
You now have been both unmoderated so you can freely post around the forum. I hope your stay here will be as pleasent as posible.

Cooler
16-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Hi All!
I'm pascal game developer (Spectromancer (http://spectromancer.com), Astral Masters (http://astralmasters.com)) for Win/iOS.

SilverWarior
17-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Cooler welcome to PGD. You have been now unmoderated so you can freely post around the site.
I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible.
Also based on the fact that you already made two games I gues you already have some knowlede making games. We would be glad if you could share some of that knowledge with us.

starlord
18-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Hello to all, thank you for taking the time to approve me as new member of this forum.

I actually have a small quiery to present you with: has anyone by any chance maintained contact with jarrod davis (develloper of the pyrogine engine)? I would very much like to initiate contact with him and ask him a few questions related to the software he published during the dos and "jarred davis software) days.

Many thanks for your advice.

best regards.

mikael.

starlord
22-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Hi guys. Starlord here.
thank you for the opportunity given to me to join. As it stands i could benefit from your advice regarding a few questions i have on the pyrogyne engine.
best regards.

WILL
22-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi starlord! Welcome to PGD! :) You have been un-moderated and can now post freely in the forums. Be sure to read the FAQ on the site to familiarize yourself with the community.

puslek
22-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Hello, allow me to tell you a little bit of story about myself.

When I was small, I love making new levels for lode runner. Since then I always love modifying or making new levels on any games that possible. After that I started programming games from books with BASIC and then Turbo Pascal. I thought, I want to be a computer game programmer. However, as I got older I started to realise that it was not a realistic career prospect at the time. So after I graduate from Computer Science, I went to become instead - just a computer programmer.

My job for almost a decade was real-time instrumentation, measurement and control software development in Delphi. For some of the development, I had to learn about OpenGL, which led me to Sulaco's website and in turn got me to GLScene. I was so amazed of how easy it was to put together a 3D scene using it. So in the last couple of years, I spent my spare time studying about computer game programming using GLScene in particular and seriously thinking about becoming a game developer.

I'm not dreaming to become the next Sid Meier, Richard Garriott, Jordan Mechner, or Armağan Yavuz, who was my inspiration. But I surely hope that I can earn a living by doing two things that I love: programming in Pascal and making computer games.

Unfortunately the GLScene development seems to have stopped, so I have to start to look for another tools. Anyway, I've put what I've learned so far on sourceforge : http://sourceforge.net/projects/glsceneodeveh/ and I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

Puslek

Magne
29-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Hello, my name is Magne.
Pascal is my prefered programming language, and I still think TP7,BP7 are some of the best compilers ever made.
I have some years old unfinished Pascal programs I hope to complete.

Regards

moose
05-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Howdy everyone. I just joined PGD to be able to download some of the cool I've been seeing (but couldn't download), and to be able to post questions from time to time. I've been programming for 20+ years, but want to get a bit more into the game end (just as a hobby). Hope to learn some cool Opengl stuff..

Laterz..

Magne
06-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Hello, I posted here when I registered, the message has not been shown and nothing has happened..

Regards Magne

TheEndIsNear
06-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Hello, I am new to pascal programming, I have done quite a bit of programming in C, but want to learn more about programming in pascal. I don't know a whole lot about game development, I've never written any games, other then a simple guess the number game, on my calculator a long time ago, but would like to learn more about programming games in pascal.

TheEndIsNear
06-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Hello,
I am an Electrical Engineer with a background in c programming, and have just started programming in pascal. I don't know a lot about game development, I've only programmed a few simple games on my calculator back in High School. But I am interested in learning more about creating games using pascal.

SilverWarior
11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Howdy everyone. I just joined PGD to be able to download some of the cool I've been seeing (but couldn't download), and to be able to post questions from time to time. I've been programming for 20+ years, but want to get a bit more into the game end (just as a hobby). Hope to learn some cool Opengl stuff..

Laterz..

Hi moose!
The reason why you still can't download some stuff from PGD site is that you are still moderated. I have aproved your post so system should unmoderate you in aprox one hour. If it won't I will contact site administrators personally to get you unmoderated.

Hello, I posted here when I registered, the message has not been shown and nothing has happened..

Regards Magne

Hi Magne!
Sorry that I haven't seen your posts earlier. I haven't been much on theese forums lately and when I was I was mostly cleaning spam posts.
The reason why you couldn't seen your own post is that like moose above you are still moderated. I have aproved your posts so system should unmoderate you automaticly. If it won't I will contact site admins.

AthenaOfDelphi
11-12-2012, 08:38 PM
moose and Magne...

Please make sure you are logged in to the site and read a few forums, spend a few minutes reading things (i.e. read a few pages over the course of 5-10 mins) and hopefully you'll get promoted.

CAREFiSH
17-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Hey there folks,

I've only just picked up Pascal, so far liking what I see! I just started out as a game developer, and I'm always curious 'bout new languages.

Cheers.

Chuzpah
25-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Hello,

I'm a hobbyist programmer with a lot of experience with Pascal. I'm just getting back into programming (using Delphi XE3). I'm interested in getting into mobile game development with Delphi or FreePascal. I'm using a Mac as my main development machine (with Fusion 5 for Windows development).

Look forward to some good discussions.

Happy Holidays.

Chuzpah

wodzu
28-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Hi guys.

I am definitely not a new user but I can not post:( Could you fix my permissions?

AthenaOfDelphi
28-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi wodzu, am looking into it... please check your PMs.

wodzu
29-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you Athena.

It is working now. :)

tothpaul
02-01-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm not a number, I'm a free man ! :)

Author of FlashPascal (http://flashpascal.execute.re) I'd like to participate to this thread
http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?14691-Four-in-a-row-(FlashPascal-program

Regards from France
Paul

WILL
03-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Hi Paul, welcome to PGD! :)

Please have a read of the FAQ to familiarize yourself with the community. Also feel free you participate in the forums and if you release another version FlashPascal, feel free to make a news post.

paul_nicholls
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi Paul, welcome to PGD...I hope you find your stay is very good :)

I have seen some of your work online, very good stuff!!

cheers,
Paul

diane21
09-01-2013, 05:24 PM
hello everyone,

I am newbie here.......!!

lrighetti
10-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Hello everybody

SilverWarior
10-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi diane21 and Irighetti and welcome to PGD. I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible.
Please spend some time searching through the forum so that automatic promotion system can unmoderate you. After thet you will be able to post anywhere on the forum. If that doesn't happen for some time (after spending more than half and hour browsing through the forum) do leave a post here about that.
NOTE: Just opening PGD site an logging in and then not doing anything is not registered from the server as activity. So go spend some time reading latest posts if nothing else.

SmartMobileStudioTeam
16-01-2013, 11:06 AM
The Smart Mobile Studio Team is ready to join this forum :-)

www.SmartMobileStudio.com

SilverWarior
16-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Welcome to PGD comunity. Please spend some time browsing through our forums so that automatic promotion can unmoderate you.

Ñuño Martínez
16-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Glad you're part of the community. :)

Dan
16-01-2013, 01:38 PM
great to see you guys here, especially since I have just recently joined the Smart Mobile Studio community.

WILL
16-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Welcome to the forums guys!

You've been so supportive of the PGD community, it's great to have you guys join us.

I look forward to seeing more games made with Smart. Especially with all the cool things I've seen you guys posting on the Smart website so far.

ericlangedijk
03-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Hello, here I am :-)
A real human non spamming being.
Retards, Eric

WILL
03-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Hi Eric and welcome to PGD!

Please read the FAQ to learn the rules of the forums and to get to know a little bit more about the community here. :)

You are now un-moderated and may post anywhere in the forums. Enjoy!

ericlangedijk
03-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks and... "Retards" is a typo :) I meant "regards".

TanDesign
03-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Although I've had your link for some time, I chose to register just now because I recently retired and have plans to put together a small game I've been thinking about for a long time along with a few 'normal' projects as well. I've already found a lot of valuable information here, and I hope to be able to offer some as well.

I'm a self-taught semi-professional programmer that started with Delphi 1 back when it first hit the streets. Choosing it over VB because like most Pascal lovers, 'Var' seemed to make a hell of a lot more sense to me then 'DIM'! I worked with every version of Delphi up to and including XE Studio, building all kinds of applications for general and buisness use including dB before taking a couple years off to handle some family needs. And I also developed and used my own simple version of a modeling tool and methods for retaining code-data-gui seperation. Now that I'm back at it, I'm using Oxygene from RemObjects which is a Pascal derivitive a lot better than Delphi will ever be no inside a Visual Studio Shell. It's fantastic and allows Windows Form and WPF projects using XAML and other techniques. I had worked with their first beta version a few years back and now can't leave it ever again!

I'm open to any disscusion, critique, or criticsim at anytime on any subject!

WILL
04-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Welcome to PGD TanDesign!

I have un-moderated you and you may now post anywhere else in the PGD forums. The base of Oxygene users here is small, but growing. I feel that it's probably the best set of tools for commercial game development if you want to meet all the top platform demands that gamers are into today. Not that Delphi and Free Pascal and Lazarus aren't also good for making commercial games, but they are more platform restricted. The lesser of those is Free Pascal / Lazarus, but even it does not run 100% native on Android so it still takes some extra doing to make it fit on any of those devices.

Please feel free to talk about game and graphics development with Oxygene in the Oxygene forum as there has been only little discussion so far.

Dan
04-02-2013, 01:16 AM
Free Pascal / Lazarus, but even it does not run 100% native on Android
sorry but that is just not true, fpc can already compile the native for android DVM code: http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_JVM
that is if you care for the relatively slow java virtual machine code. fpc can also compile the binary code that, with a little extra effort, can work on the android platform.
the downside of fpc though is that it is more complicated to set up. the only platform I know that fpc cannot compile for at this point is javascript for html5.

WILL
04-02-2013, 02:39 AM
fpc can already compile the native for android DVM code: http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_JVM

Oh interesting. Last I looked into this you had to do some hardware tricks to make FPC compile for a specific Android device rather than all hardware that ran Android. I'm glad to hear about this either way. :)

JuhaManninen
10-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi

I am hoping to make a new topic, not only replying to an existing one.

Regards,
Juha Manninen

WILL
12-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Hi

I am hoping to make a new topic, not only replying to an existing one.

Regards,
Juha Manninen

I have just un-moderated your account so now you can post to other forums and create your own topics of discussion.

Thanks for your interest in the community I hope you enjoy being a part of this elite niche of game developers that use Pascal-based tools.

sp84
15-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Hi, my name is Simon! I've been programming in Pascal ever since I was 10 years old when my Dad started teaching me using Turbo Pascal. Still programming in Pascal today (mainly using Delphi and FreePascal/Lazarus).

Looking forward to being a part of this forum!

3Shrike3
17-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi,
I first learnt to program (in pascal) a few years ago and have just picked it up again but I have got stuck with allegro.pas. I'm using a raspberry pi and the demo compiled fine, and I copied all the files into the units/arm-linux directory, but whenever I try to compile one of the examples, I get:

albase.pas(209) Error: Can't create assembler file: /usr/lib/fpc/2.6.0/units/arm-linux/allegro.pas/albase.pas/albase.s

Is this just a problem with the raspberry pi, or can it be fixed?
Please can someone help me!

3Shrike3
17-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Sorry to double post but I've just realised that if I copy the lib directory into the same directory as my source code, I can compile with: fpc -Fulib -Filib source.pas
Does this mean that I am just missing a config file somewhere?

Ñuño Martínez
19-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Please, ask in the appropriate forum (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/forumdisplay.php?14-General). :)

User137
19-02-2013, 12:54 PM
He propably couldn't seeing that was his first post :) Welcome.

Ñuño Martínez
19-02-2013, 01:15 PM
You're right, User137.

Anyway...

Hi,
I first learnt to program (in pascal) a few years ago and have just picked it up again but I have got stuck with allegro.pas. I'm using a raspberry pi and the demo compiled fine, and I copied all the files into the units/arm-linux directory, but whenever I try to compile one of the examples, I get:

albase.pas(209) Error: Can't create assembler file: /usr/lib/fpc/2.6.0/units/arm-linux/allegro.pas/albase.pas/albase.s

Is this just a problem with the raspberry pi, or can it be fixed?It's the common "write permissions" issue. You can fix it by using option -FU (http://lazarus-ccr.sourceforge.net/fpcdoc/user/usersu14.html#x37-440005.1.3). BTW I'm not sure it will work, AFAIK Allegro doesn't has rasperry pi support, so Allegro.pas doesn't too... But I may be wrong.

3Shrike3
19-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks for replying - sorry about not posting in the right forum, will next time.
There is allegro for raspberry pi - it just needed an apt-get allegro. Your -FU option didn't work, but you were right about the write permissions issue - I just needed to compile with sudo fpc test.pas

Ñuño Martínez
19-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Please, follow discussion on this thread (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?15581-Compiling-on-Rasperry-Pi&p=88671#post88671). :)

koomaluola
27-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Hello i'm Miska AKA Ravenis and i'm developing roguelike MMORPG game with Delphi.
Im looking small but active tester group for it.

Contact me here in forums if you are interested :)

-Ravenis, Hadelmia developer

SilverWarior
01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Hi koomaluola!
Welcome to PGD forums.
I'm sure you can find some pepole prepared to test your game but I can not guarantee for them to be active testers. You see most pepole here are also developing their own games or game engines so many of us don't have much time for playing games. But still we will hep out a felow pascal developer as much as we can.

Please spent some time browsing through the forum so autopromotion system can unmoderate you so you will be able to post anywhere on the forum.
After you have been unmodreated I suggest to create a new thread about your game in "Your Projects" section of the forum. This way you would atract more pepole.

DeepX
08-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I am a new User of this Board, hope it helps me alot, so that i can help others to realize the projects of them.

greetZ DeepX

DeepX
08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I am a German Pascal Developer. Hope to get help here and give some help to other

greetZ DeepX

SilverWarior
09-03-2013, 12:37 AM
DeepX welcome to PGD. I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible.
I have aproved your posts so please spend some time browsing through our forums for autopromotjion system to kics in and Unmoderates you so you would be able to post anywehere on the forum. If for some reason this doesn't happen do contact me.

DeepX
20-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi, am DeepX i am human no bot :)

SilverWarior
20-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi DeepX we already know that :)
You have been unmoderated about a weak ago already so you can post anywhere on the forum.

Jenny
09-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi..really excited to be in this exciting forum....hope to learn and contribute here..

SilverWarior
09-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Jenny and welcome to PGD! I hope you stay here would be as pleasent as posible.
Please do some browsing around our forum for autopromotion to kick in and get you unmoderated so you will be able to post anywhere on the forum.

paul_nicholls
10-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Hi Jenny, welcome to PGD...I hope you find the community here friendly and helpful :)

cheers,
Paul

rferriz
18-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Hello!
I'm a Software Engineer at Spain that grow loving C and making my own non published games, until I found Delphi at work. Fistly I hate that so simple and stupid language, C and his pointer magic seemed to be awesome and unbeatable.
Currently I love Object Pascal, love its strict syntax and strict type checking and hate C (and derivates) with tis obscure syntax and lot of holes related to pointer magic. I also love how fast object pascal compiles, we have a commercial business project (DelphiXE) with about 500k rows and around more that 250 files compiles in less than 10 seconds!
I started to doing my personal project with FPC around a a year ago, after trying almost anything, like Java (to target Android), Haxe (awesome powerfull language but I dont like that its syntax is very error prone and obscure with macros), C++ (years ago), C# ...

And after all this language switching ... all I can say is : I love Object Pascal.
There is only one thing I miss on FPC, and is function generics like Java:
public <T extends TMyClass> function SetManager(T manager);
public <T extends TMyClass> function GetManager(Class<T> managerClass);

I need this to port Artemis to Object Pascal, and I don't know how to circunvent this issue.

BUT this is another issue, just hello from Spain!

P1971
18-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Hey folks. Excited to be here. I'm hoping there's a lot I can learn.

SilverWarior
19-04-2013, 11:19 AM
P1971 and rferriz welcome to PGD! I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible. Plese do some more browsing through our forums so autopromotiuon system can kick in and unmoderate you so you would be able to post anywhere around the forum.

I need this to port Artemis to Object Pascal, and I don't know how to circunvent this issue.

When you mention Artemis do you maybe mean ARTEMIS Spaceship Bridge Simulator (http://www.artemis.eochu.com/) ?

rferriz
19-04-2013, 01:15 PM
P1971 and rferriz welcome to PGD! I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible. Plese do some more browsing through our forums so autopromotiuon system can kick in and unmoderate you so you would be able to post anywhere around the forum.

When you mention Artemis do you maybe mean ARTEMIS Spaceship Bridge Simulator (http://www.artemis.eochu.com/) ?

I fear not. I mean Artemis entity system: http://gamadu.com/artemis/

SilverWarior
20-04-2013, 01:01 AM
That also sems nice.

beltar
03-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Hello everybody from another Delphi fan. Let me in please. :)

SilverWarior
04-05-2013, 05:20 AM
beltar welcome to PGD! I hope your stay here would be as pleasent as posible.
Plese do some more browsing through our forums so that autopromotiuon system can kick in and unmoderate you so you would be able to post anywhere around the forum.

HappyMember
28-05-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm HappyMember, programming "almost daily" for 6 years and not satisfied with the code generated by compilers.

In the present day I am making games in "x86 Assembly" using game libraries compiled by Free Pascal for Linux based systems only (Why? (answer below)).

Windows has too many games + It isn't free + The work involved to feed a giant is not worthy.

I do this just for fun and pleasure, I do not intend to make money or sell them in any way. I don't even play the games when I finish them (LOL!).

Ñuño Martínez
29-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Welcome HappyMember.

Programming in x86 Assembly... You're mad... :o;)

HappyMember
29-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Welcome HappyMember.
Thank you!

MarcoCestari
04-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Hello, I'm Marco Cestari, a Delphi/C# coder from Brazil.

Registered some years ago, and never participated to the community, but now, I'm getting interested to delphi game dev again :)

SilverWarior
09-06-2013, 03:26 PM
Hi Marco I have aproved your post so now all you need to do is do some more browsing around the forum so autopromotion can kick in and unmoderate you. This will then alow you to freely post around the forum.
If for some reason this doesn't happen do contact me.

BTW welcome back.

MarcoCestari
09-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Thank You :)

Bijo
25-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi. Some of you may remember me. I certainly remember all of you with whom I ever communicated before and the good help I received. Another 'Thanks' to you all. And also a hello to everyone.

A little history:
As a kid I dabbled a bit in Turbo Pascal (and possibly C) and never really seriously continued programming due to other interests and activities. Occasionally I went back to programming for fun and learning purposes and I was busy using and learning at different points in time Pascal, C, C++ and D and eventually more in regard to games. I visited this forum in the past some years ago and, since certain things happened in life, did not visit anymore nor did I continue learning programming.
Lately, my interest in programming has sparked up again and I have been using D and Prolog (for knowledge and logic and fun), and prefer at the moment Pascal for general structural procedural programming. I could use some refreshments and so far it has been going reasonably well.

While I'm at it, I immediately have some questions to ask, heh heh heh ;)

Some questions:
Now, I've been going through the forum and have been using a search engine, but I cannot find any link nor information about available books on programming with FreePascal and SDL. Aren't there any books available, preferrably good books to be recommended? The kinds of books that really "get at it" in a clear manner. What I mean is that, among other important things, they also teach you how to be creative in programming and how to think like a programmer to solve certain problems.

Also, if one uses a 64-bits version of Windows, what exact SDL.dll should be used?

SilverWarior
26-06-2013, 03:51 AM
Now, I've been going through the forum and have been using a search engine, but I cannot find any link nor information about available books on programming with FreePascal and SDL. Aren't there any books available, preferrably good books to be recommended?

I don't think there are any books about using SDL with FreePascal but I may be wrong. The closest thing to that is FreePascal meets SDL webpage wich contains quite a few tutorials on how to use SDL with FPC. You can find page here:
http://www.freepascal-meets-sdl.net/

There are SDL 2.0 headers in making for pascal. You can read more on this here:
http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?15879-SDL-2-0-Headers-for-Object-Pascal

The reason why you probably didn't find much on SDL using serch function of PGD site is becouse search function threats SDL as to short word and doesn't even include it as search keyword.
Luckily the talk about SDL 2.0 headers happened recently so I could have finded that thread manualy for you.

What I mean is that, among other important things, they also teach you how to be creative in programming and how to think like a programmer to solve certain problems.

Such books usually doesn't focus on using specific graphic engine but on general game development. But it is hard to find any general book as it laregly depends on what you want to achieve.

Also, if one uses a 64-bits version of Windows, what exact SDL.dll should be used?

SDL.dll file versionm isn't dependant on wheter Windows is 32 bit or 64 bit but on your aplication. If you compile your game with 64 bit compiler you would need to use 64 bit version of SDL.dll and if you compile your game using 32 bit compiler you would have to use 32 bit version of SDL.dll

NOTE: 32 bit applications always use 32 bit dynamical libraries (dll-s) and 64 bit applications always use 64 bit dynamical libraries. This is necessary becouse of difference in pointers between 32 bit and 64 bit applications as wel as becouse of difference in instance handling and memory handling between 32 bit and 64 bit applications. You can always run 32 bit applications on 64 bit Windows (32 bit compatibility mode) but you can not run 64 bit application on 32 bit Windows.

BTW Welcome back!

Darkhog
26-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Also I think turning c/c++ examples into Pascal ones is easy if you remember few things:

- int - Integer, bool - boolean.
- Declaring all names in C/C++ code in var section and change all in-code declaration into assignments.
- Also you should remember of any of function name differences between C/C++ library you're using and pascal headers for it. Can't speak on SDL, but in case of Allegro and Allegro.pas in latter all functions/variables/procedures names start with al_ prefix, probably because we already have things like readkey, keypressed, etc.

SilverWarior
26-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Can't speak on SDL, but in case of Allegro and Allegro.pas in latter all functions/variables/procedures names start with al_ prefix, probably because we already have things like readkey, keypressed, etc.

I belive AL_ prefix was chosen by Nüno Martínez itself to distinguish which functions originate from allegro.pas and which from other parts of code.
If you take a look at other libraries almost all of them use specific prefixes for the same reson.

Bijo
26-06-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome, information and advice.

LinSoraK
11-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Hello,

I'm a Delphi Dev and I would say thanks to Athena for my account :)

WILL
11-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Hey and welcome to PGD! :)

AthenaOfDelphi
12-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Hello,

I'm a Delphi Dev and I would say thanks to Athena for my account :)

You are most welcome. Welcome to PGD :)

Delphius
13-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Hello to all the community PGD!

First of all, I want to thank a AthenaOfDelph for helping me in my registration.
I am new to PGD and I hope to learn and work with you in what I allow my knowledge.

I have some experience (not too much, not too little) in the world of Delphi, but in develop video games I'm blanking.
For years in my head I have ideas for a game, although I have not yet been able to shape and join them. And I me said that it is time to start down to earth and materialize. So that's why I'm here! Martinez Ñuño sometimes spoke me of this community; maybe know him.

My intention is to use Lazarus / Free Pascal under Linux, because my economy does not allow me to go for the new versions of Delphi and I want to give you a very good opportunity to Lazarus and Linux. Maybe not be the best choice but I expect who I not have too much difficulties.

Hopefully what I learn here could lead me to consider myself a Indie Developer, it will be a long way to go. I have no hurry, step by step.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm Argentinian. Despite having studied English is hard to me speaking and translate.

Regards,

paul_nicholls
14-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Welcome LinSoraK (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/member.php?371750-LinSoraK) and Delphius (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/member.php?375988-Delphius) to PGD...I hope you find out all you want during your stay here :)

cheers,
Paul

mds
14-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Hello!
Russian programmer who makes games on the FPC.