PDA

View Full Version : What kind of social networks are you using?

WILL
25-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Hey everyone, just wanted to get a general idea of what kind of social networks were popular amoung Pascal developers an if there is interest in some of the newer ones.

What social syndication networks are you using right now?

vgo
25-01-2012, 10:05 AM
None, or does watching silly videos every now and then on YouTube count as "using a social network"?

paul_nicholls
25-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I use Facebook, Youtube and Twitter (occasionally)

SilverWarior
25-01-2012, 12:23 PM
To be honest I spend more time checking news on PGD than on Facebook;D

LP
25-01-2012, 03:51 PM
None, or does watching silly videos every now and then on YouTube count as "using a social network"?
I'm glad I'm not the only one. :) By the way, I wouldn't count YouTube as a social networking and I do use it occasionally for watching musical videos.

Legolas
25-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Google+ and Facebook mainly; Youtube and stumbleupon to waste my spare time :P

Traveler
25-01-2012, 08:34 PM
None. Call me paranoid, but I dont like it how you create an account and then one day you find your info all over the place, because they decided to change the rules. (On a related note, the EU has announced today new proposals to give people more rights over what websites such as Facebook or LinkedIn may store and when so asked, may nolonger store in the event of account deletion.)

Super Vegeta
25-01-2012, 11:02 PM
None of the above. When asked "why", I usually reply that if keeping in touch with someone is of meaning to me, there are many many ways to do it - call me anachronic, but I absolutely love handwritten letters. Also, if thou really are friends with someone, then you can not change a word in a year and it will still feel as if you met yesterday. Meanwhile, social networks tend to be filled with "friends" who thou've last seen half a millenia ago, and even then you didn't really like eachother. Besides, as Traveler wrote, I am uncomfortable with the thought of spreading my personal info.

LP
26-01-2012, 05:26 AM
Some interesting read: Why I don't Use Facebook (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375715,00.asp).

Ñuño Martínez
26-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Some times I enter to Twitter and writes some blamming or retweet a funny message, but I can't say it's something "social". Actually I don't know why I still visiting it...

A question: Is RSS a social network? How? I use RSS to look new stuff in my favourite websites, but I can't see the "social" of it.

WILL
26-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I see that there is some variety to the social AND syndication networks being used. (I intended to sump both into the same poll. ;)) I'd gather that we've covered a fair number of what you use, but I'm considering a Google+ account for PGD as well. Is this good news for some people?

I didn't have room for it, but there is one more I would have liked to add to the list. Does anyone use Delicious (http://delicious.com/)?

To be honest I spend more time checking news on PGD than on Facebookhttp://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/images/pgdsmilies/cheesy.gif
Glad to hear it! ;)

I know not everyone likes social networks and some may not be into syndicated news/posting, but is there any specific networks or services that I may have missed that someone would think would be great to have PGD-related content on?

pitfiend
07-12-2013, 06:27 PM
A bit late, I use many of social networks (fb, g+, twitter) and syndication. The one you missed (IMHO) is StackOverflow, many users here use to point to them, not the best place to find some help (specially because some annoying moderators), but, I think it is one of many places to go when need some help on general programming topics. On Google+ there is a very good group of Delphi developers.

phibermon
07-12-2013, 07:16 PM
PGD is the only community/social site I use nowadays other than FB.

Just can't stand people! ;)

Don't use any Pascal related information sites for coding/techniques, they're all sadly behind the times when it comes to graphics. I use C/C++ sites and pose my problem in that language whenever I have a question, which nowadays is just identifying bugs/quirks in closed source APIs.