PDA

View Full Version : 2nd PGD Challenge Questions!

WILL
30-03-2012, 04:35 AM
This thread is made if you have any questions or need clarification of the rules/theme or if you have to ask a judge something about his system to ensure that your entry will run on all our systems.

If you don't know and you need a question answered, ask here. We will try to help you as best as we can.

Darthman
30-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Can I use Shaders model 2.0/3.0?

Eric
30-03-2012, 06:16 AM
We're March 30th, where is the theme?
*keeps hitting F5*
;-)

Cybermonkey
30-03-2012, 07:34 AM
In Canada it's still March 29th, maybe? ;D

Darthman
30-03-2012, 11:27 AM
In Soviet Russia (sarcasm) there is 30th and soon there will be dawn :D

JimMcKeeth
31-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Can I use Shaders model 2.0/3.0?

On my Windows 7 64-bit box I have the following:

Renderer: GeForce 9600 GT/PCI/SSE2
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Memory: 512 MB
Version: 3.3.0
Shading language version: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Max texture size: 8192 x 8192
Max texture coordinates: 8
Max vertex texture image units: 32
Max texture image units: 32
Max geometry texture units: 32
Max anisotropic filtering value: 16
Max viewport size: 8192 x 8192
Max Viewports: 16
Max Clip Distances: 8
Max samples: 16

-----------------

My MBP with Lion is

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M OpenGL Engine
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Memory: 256 MB
Version: 2.1 NVIDIA-7.18.11
Device: MacBookPro5,5
Shading language version: 1.20

Max texture size: 8192 x 8192
Max texture coordinates: 8
Max vertex texture image units: 16
Max texture image units: 16
Max geometry texture units: 16
Max anisotropic filtering value: 16
Max number of light sources: 8
Max viewport size: 8192 x 8192
Max uniform vertex components: 4096
Max uniform fragment components: 4096
Max geometry uniform components: 2048
Max varying floats: 60
Max samples: 8
Max draw buffers: 8

Kapitany
31-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Can I use graphics or other free artworks from http://opengameart.org/? I am not a good graphic artist :-)

User137
31-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Simple answer from that sites FAQ http://opengameart.org/content/faq

The purpose of this site is to provide a solid (and hopefully ever-expanding) variety of high quality, freely licensed art, so that free/open source game developers can use it in their games.

WILL
31-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Can I use graphics or other free artworks from http://opengameart.org/? I am not a good graphic artist :-)

As long as the artwork is classified as public domain it should be fine. Just take care when using any artwork that is gathered on such sites does not actually infringe on other owner's IP. When using graphics from such sites, or purchasing it from other sites such as turbo squid or DAZ there should normally be some sort of written indication of it's license for use. This can help verify that you are safe to use it, much like that if you were to hire someone to make something custom for you or have a friend do it.

When all is said and done, as long as your game's graphics don't infringe on another IP without permission it is safe to use in this competition. This rule is to safe-guard us from legal action, as we think it's only fair.

Darthman
02-04-2012, 06:34 AM
Do I need to says something like "I'm invited and doing my game for PGD" or just do it and post?

And second question - may I post screenshots, video or something else before competition ends?

WILL
02-04-2012, 12:25 PM
No, you don't need to state invitation, everyone is invited. :) As long as you upload something to the FTP server with the proper readme file with who you are and a contact email, AND it follows all the other basic requirements (Pascal, under 200MB, etc) then it counts as a submission.

Yes you may post any screenshots or video you like. In fact we encourage it. :) Your submission entry into the competition, though created for it, is yours to do with as you like. We have no say, except that we get to show it off and use it and screenshots and video captures from it to help promote the community and future competitions.

Darthman
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Ok, then I'm in.
I have a great idea, a lot of time until competition ends and a big piece of will to do this. I will create topic here when I'll have something to show.

WILL
02-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Ok, then I'm in.
I have a great idea, a lot of time until competition ends and a big piece of will to do this. I will create topic here when I'll have something to show.

Sounds great, I can't wait to see what you and other will (or already have) start(ed) to show off.

pitfiend
03-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Is it a requirement to post source code too?

WILL
03-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Is it a requirement to post source code too?

You should give the rules a more thorough read (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/content.php?329-2nd-PGD-Challenge-The-Journey), but no it is not required. Including source code is optional, but still highly encouraged.

"OPEN SOURCE: We are letting the competitors choose to include source or not. This will allow the games created in this competition and their engines to be used for commercial use by their authors afterwards. The option is yours, but you don't have to include it to compete in this challenge."

pstudio
04-04-2012, 12:16 AM
3RD PARTY LIBRARIES & API: 3rd party API and libraries are allowed based on availability of Pascal headers for them. The core of your game's engine must still be Pascal.

3RD PARTY GAME ENGINES: The only 3rd party game engines allowed to be used in your entries are those made from Pascal or Object Pascal sources. Translated from C/C++ to Pascal projects are acceptable. However a significant amount of content including all graphics, dialog, music and sound must be replaced with that of either your own making or that which you are legally allowed to use for your game's release.
I just want to be clear on your definition of a game engine. When you write game engine you are referring to an engine that e.g. is FPS were you basically just have to add game assets?
I take that it is ok to use a general purpose game engine (im my case JMonkey (jmonkeyengine.com)) written in a different language, as long as the games specific logic is pascal-based?

btw. Do the judges own gamepads?

WILL
04-04-2012, 01:33 AM
I just want to be clear on your definition of a game engine. When you write game engine you are referring to an engine that e.g. is FPS were you basically just have to add game assets?
I take that it is ok to use a general purpose game engine (im my case JMonkey (http://jmonkeyengine.com)) written in a different language, as long as the games specific logic is pascal-based?

A "game engine" is properly defined as code which constitutes the main functionality or mechanics of gameplay of a game. A game engine packaged for use by other game developers to create a specific game also falls under this definition. There are two ways it can be provided however: open source or closed source. Closed source is not acceptable for use in this competition as it's about programing in Pascal not modding existing engines. Open source is only acceptable if it was written in or translated to some form of approved Pascal languages or dialects.

A more specificly geared library, CALLED "engine" for such things as graphics, audio/music or physics is not considered a "game engine" as defined by the rules of the PGD Challenge. So these are all acceptable, written in Pascal or not, as long as they can be used in your game code which is to be written in an approved "Pascal" language.

JMonkey is ok to use as far as I can tell since it would be defined as a physics library by the rules of this competition.

pstudio
04-04-2012, 02:12 AM
A "game engine" is properly defined as code which constitutes the main functionality or mechanics of gameplay of a game. A game engine packaged for use by other game developers to create a specific game also falls under this definition. There are two ways it can be provided however: open source or closed source. Closed source is not acceptable for use in this competition as it's about programing in Pascal not modding existing engines. Open source is only acceptable if it was written in or translated to some form of approved Pascal languages or dialects.

A more specificly geared library, CALLED "engine" for such things as graphics, audio/music or physics is not considered a "game engine" as defined by the rules of the PGD Challenge. So these are all acceptable, written in Pascal or not, as long as they can be used in your game code which is to be written in an approved "Pascal" language.
In my world (and at least the university where I study game technology) a game engine does not necessarily contain the main mechanics of a game's gameplay. A general purpose game engine (like Unity3D e.g.) combines several specific systems like a 3D rendering engine, physics engine and sound engine and make them work seamless with each other. A specialized game engine (which is what you're referring to) builds upon these systems and defines a specific gameplay (like FPS Creator e.g.).

JMonkey is ok to use as far as I can tell since it would be defined as a physics library by the rules of this competition.
JMonkey is what I call a general purpose engine. It combines e.g. jBullet (physics) and lwjgl (opengl, openal). It has an input manager, 3d rendering system, animation system, scene graph etc. but it doesn't specify any gameplay mechanics. It "just" enables the developer to focus on writing gameplay and don't worry (too much) about LOD rendering, Model loading, physics integration and all those tedious issues blocking you from creating an awesome game ;)

But I guess JMonkey is fine to use based on your definition so I better get started on my game ;)

pitfiend
07-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Is it valid to use sounds, music, tiles or sprites taken from game maker tools?

WILL
07-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Is it valid to use sounds, music, tiles or sprites taken from game maker tools?

Where you get your "assets" or "content" from is not as important as long as it's legal to use. If those sprites, music and so on are acceptable to distribute as indicated by them (either by including them as public domain, or by license) then I can't see a problem with using them if they work for your game's design.

Unfortunately, though I do have a copy of Game Maker 8 for Mac, I don't know enough about it's included content to know one way or the other from experience.

smexhy
08-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Can we post any game? even if it is text based and not so complex and pro-ish :D?

SilverWarior
08-04-2012, 05:00 PM
The game must fit the competition rules http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/content.php?329-2nd-PGD-Challenge-The-Journey
One of the major rules in this competition is that you need to make your game in a way for player to be able to travel between different locations. These locations have to be designed in a way so that it is abolutly clear for player to se that those are indeed different locations.
I belive it could be posible to achieve this with text based game but I doubt it will be easy. But on the other thought it might be easier than expected.
So if you wish to try go ahead you have nothing to lose.

WILL
08-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Well a simple way could be to have each new 'location' a different text colour and change the text color when they arrive there. Then to establish that you are in a new location, you could print off "Welcome to Planet Zoobo!" and continue off with your description and their list of choices, etc... Or if you are any good at ASCII art you could work some of that magic.

WILL
08-04-2012, 08:20 PM
It's funny though, SilverWarior does bring up an interesting point by mentioning the theme there. I'm finding that some teams are having a hard time sticking to theme. It's almost as if they want to make what they want to make and then force the theme into it. I guess that's just one angle to go at it from a creative stand-point. The other way could be to take the theme and think of a game that would be built around the theme. That was the intention for the challenges originally, but I guess not everyone can work that way.

Of course another reason could simply be that they are trying to work with their own established frameworks, engines and libraries they spent so much time on already. Fair enough, but it almost makes me want to do the next one where you have to do it from scratch. ;)

Either way I wish everyone luck! There is just over 3 weeks left so don't let too many days go by. :)

Stoney
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM

I do have an Xbox 360 controller, a Playstation 2 controller with an USB adapter and a cheap SNES like controller (http://www.konsolenkost.de/images/produkte/i46/4606627.jpg).

WILL
09-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Jim just passed me the word that he does not have a gamepad.

JimMcKeeth
09-04-2012, 11:52 PM

I don't have one, but I am not opposed to picking one up. Haven't used one in a long time. Been a die hard keyboarder (hard to get that many keys on a gamepad.)

What do you recommend?

Ingemar
10-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Can we post any game? even if it is text based and not so complex and pro-ish :D?

I think a text-based adventure game could easily fit the theme. Text descriptions of different locations can also describe different locations. IMHO.

Eric
10-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm finding that some teams are having a hard time sticking to theme. It's almost as if they want to make what they want to make and then force the theme into it. I guess that's just one angle to go at it from a creative stand-point.

Well, I picked my game genre based on time availability and complexity, given the time frame all content-based genres were out given I don't have anyone working on the graphics or level design (that eliminates RPG, FPS, platformers, hand-tuned puzzles...), that left reflex (shooters), random-puzzle and level-scaled/grind games. Given that my last one was basically a shooter, and I had no original idea for a random-puzzle games... :p

Fair enough, but it almost makes me want to do the next one where you have to do it from scratch. ;)

I'm starting completely from scratch this time, in a way it's nice and unencumbered, no library, no game engine, bare-bones RTL, open horizons! but on the other, hand, it's a little "too scratch", I'm making up even the 2D vector stuff and sin/cos caching as I go, been a while since I last had to write those ;-)

paul_nicholls
10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I just got home very late last night from my holiday, and had to unpack and clean up today so I have had little time to think about my entry :(

I am thinking of using Oxygene for Java for my entry...is anyone else using Oxygene in this competition yet?

pstudio
10-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I just got home very late last night from my holiday, and had to unpack and clean up today so I have had little time to think about my entry :(

I am thinking of using Oxygene for Java for my entry...is anyone else using Oxygene in this competition yet?

Well, I'm fiddling around with Oxygene for Java. We'll see if it will result in an entry.

paul_nicholls
10-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Well, I'm fiddling around with Oxygene for Java. We'll see if it will result in an entry.

Neat :) I did try using some JMonkey with my Beta version of Oxygene a few weeks back, but I wasn't sure what packages to include, and when I finally got it to compile, it crashed when run (couldn't find some java class...). Now my Beta version has expired and I have had to uninstall Oxygene + VS 2010 since the trial license clashed with my expired Beta license (grrr). Hopefully I can reinstall it tonight.

I might try seeing if I can get LWJGL (http://lwjgl.org/index.php) working with it...might be a bit easier and quicker for the competition LOL

I still have no idea what I am going to do yet though...

pstudio
10-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Well, I got JMonkey running. Unfortunately VS crashes if I try to debug a JMonkey application but outside VS the application works fine.

paul_nicholls
11-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Dang and blast! I uninstalled my Oxygene for Java beta + Visual Studio 2010 stuff, but I can't install the Oxygene for Java trial (from Visual Studio 2010 install ISO)...
I keep getting a very unhelpful error when trying to install!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHH!! Looks like I can't use Oxygene for Java in this competition now!! :(

EDIT: I am re-downloading the ISO file to see if there might have been an error when downloading it last time (there was a big pause during the download previously...)...I will let you know how I get on...

code_glitch
11-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Well, back from germany in front of my usual rig and I've some up with an idea - but its ambitious... Lets see if I can get a concept by the end of the day :)

SilverWarior
11-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Dang and blast! I uninstalled my Oxygene for Java beta + Visual Studio 2010 stuff, but I can't install the Oxygene for Java trial (from Visual Studio 2010 install ISO)...
I keep getting a very unhelpful error when trying to install!!

Paul I suggest that you go and try find any files left from theese programs even after uninstalation. Sometimes there are some files left from previous versions of programs wich might interfere with newer versions. When something similar happens to me I go and search AppData folders for every user and remove any files that might belong to troubeling application and after that I try reinstaling. Do note that this might cuse some unexpected problems especialy if some of theese files is being used by some other applications, it shouldn't but sometimes it is becouse some programers are taking shourtcuts where they shouldn't. AppData is intended so that every application could make its own subfolder containg data related to itselfs. Each application should only use its own folder and not share the same folder with some other application. Components wich are intended to be shared between aplication should go to ComonData folder instead.
Also it might be good to update java to newest version.

JimMcKeeth
11-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I can't install the Oxygene for Java trial (from Visual Studio 2010 install ISO)... I keep getting a very unhelpful error when trying to install!!

What is the error? You can contact support@ or connect.remobjects.com (http://connect.remobjects.com) for more help too.

paul_nicholls
11-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Paul I suggest that you go and try find any files left from theese programs even after uninstalation. Sometimes there are some files left from previous versions of programs wich might interfere with newer versions. When something similar happens to me I go and search AppData folders for every user and remove any files that might belong to troubeling application and after that I try reinstaling. Do note that this might cuse some unexpected problems especialy if some of theese files is being used by some other applications, it shouldn't but sometimes it is becouse some programers are taking shourtcuts where they shouldn't. AppData is intended so that every application could make its own subfolder containg data related to itselfs. Each application should only use its own folder and not share the same folder with some other application. Components wich are intended to be shared between aplication should go to ComonData folder instead.
Also it might be good to update java to newest version.

Thanks for the tips :)
Ok, I can't find any remobjects or oxygene appdata folders, so I will now go and delete the older folders containing projects and similar just in case too...

JimMcKeeth
11-04-2012, 08:45 PM
so I will now go and delete the older folders containing projects and similar just in case too...

Those shouldn't be causing any trouble. What is the error you are getting?

paul_nicholls
11-04-2012, 08:49 PM
What is the error? You can contact support@ or connect.remobjects.com (http://connect.remobjects.com) for more help too.

Hi Jim, I can't recall the error now, and actually, the install may have just gotten further now than when it did the error before!
Hopefully it is working now...(touch wood).

SilverWarior
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Ok, I can't find any remobjects or oxygene appdata folders, so I will now go and delete the older folders containing projects and similar just in case too...

How about Visual studio-s folder. It is posible that the problem is in the visual studio-s configuration of debugger.

paul_nicholls
12-04-2012, 12:31 AM

Hi Jim,
I finally managed to get it to install, but I had another issue, so I started a connect discussion about my new Oxygene for Java licensing problem which is stopping me from creating/using projects in the IDE:
http://connect.remobjects.com/discussion/1495/how-to-uninstall-oxygene-for-java-beta-license-and-only-use-trial-license

Any ideas?
cheers,
Paul

JimMcKeeth
12-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Hopefully it is working now...(touch wood).

Good luck! Let me know or check out the support options I mentioned.

paul_nicholls
12-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Good luck! Let me know or check out the support options I mentioned.

:D @Jim: did you see my post above yours? ;)

dazappa
12-04-2012, 05:57 AM
I was playing around with Oxygene with an idea for entering this competition, but sometime in the last week I uninstalled something that took out WinSock and nothing could repair it. One program designed to remove malware caused my computer to crash during shut down, and it made Windows unbootable. I finally got my system up and running again this past week, but at this point it's not really feasible to play with a new toolset and hope to make the deadline. If I make any sort of game, it's going to be very small due to this whole situation + final exams.

paul_nicholls
12-04-2012, 06:18 AM
I was playing around with Oxygene with an idea for entering this competition, but sometime in the last week I uninstalled something that took out WinSock and nothing could repair it. One program designed to remove malware caused my computer to crash during shut down, and it made Windows unbootable. I finally got my system up and running again this past week, but at this point it's not really feasible to play with a new toolset and hope to make the deadline. If I make any sort of game, it's going to be very small due to this whole situation + final exams.

Bummer dude! Good luck with the new system...

Well as you probably read, I have had my own Oxygene issues too, but not as bad as you!

JimMcKeeth
12-04-2012, 03:40 PM
:D @Jim: did you see my post above yours? ;)

Guess I just missed it.

paul_nicholls
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Guess I just missed it.

No worries :) Anyway, I contacted support after deleting all my Oxygene licenses and got a new 30-day license which seems to work...so I am a happy camper again! :)
cheers,
Paul

paul_nicholls
13-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Ok, for good or bad, I have started a thread about my 2nd PGD Challenge entry called "Platformation"
http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?13314-2nd-PGD-Challenge-quot-Platformation-quot&p=84086

cheers,
Paul

Ñuño Martínez
18-04-2012, 05:01 PM
I have no problem with this but must the journey force to elect the route? I mean, it's mandatory to offer more than one way to the player to select the one he wants? Or can it be only one route?

SilverWarior
19-04-2012, 12:16 AM
It can be only one route, but this way you lose bonus points. You get bonus points if player can travel back and forth between places.

WILL
19-04-2012, 03:40 AM
I have no problem with this but must the journey force to elect the route? I mean, it's mandatory to offer more than one way to the player to select the one he wants? Or can it be only one route?

You do not have to allow for route/location selection, but as SilverWarior states, this limits your ability to take the bonus for allowing players to revisit locations within the same playthrough.

That said, design is up to you. If you feel that your game should have level/route/location selection then by all means add it if you are able, but if you are sure that it shouldn't have it then stick with your guns. Mind you, if you do have time for a story driven game in only 4 weeks plus a weekend then you and I should be working on a project together. ;)

Jimmy Valavanis
19-04-2012, 05:15 AM
In my game there are the following locations: Desert, oasis and the inside of a pyramid. Are they 3 different locations or just one? (ie Egypt)
Also there is an island and a shipwreck in deep water near the island (the player actually dives to the shipwreck). Are they 2 different locations or just one?
Does it have to be necessary for the player to be able to revisit all the different places to gain the bonus points or just a couple of them?
My question is about the necessity for completing the game to revisit, not the ability to revisit.

Example:

The player is in place A. He must bring the item T from place B in place A. He travels to place B, obtain the item T and bring it back to place A. Then he can procced to place C. He is able to choose to revisit place B but it's meaningless.

WILL
19-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Good questions Jimmy.

The theme of this challenge is travel hence I believe that unless you have to "travel" to that extra part of your world, it would be the same. Also it was specified that each location should have their own visual look and feel. So there should be some effort to give each location it's own distinct look visually.

How close is the desert, oasis and pyramid from each other? How much swimming (distance) do you have to do to get to the underwater shipwreck? Based on these things, it's up to the judges to determine how many actual locations you have in the game.

If for example you have to auto-travel a long way to the island from the desert then the oasis is just on the horizon and the pyramid is right beside it then I'd say that those would definitely not count as separate locations in my books, just make-up a more complex single location. The spirit of the challenge is for the teams/individuals to make 3 separate areas or locations/regions or levels in your game that players travel to/from.

I would make it feel like you are in a totally different "location" by stylising each spot you want ot be considered a location. From there it's up to the judges to tell you how many locations you ended up making from intention or not. Just be sure to make at least an obvious 3 locations or you might "fail" the actual "challenge" part.

Now as to the revisiting, it doesn't matter if there is a point to revisiting those places again, as long as you can in the same play-through. That said, if you can figure out a point to going back as well then you may score better on the innovation or fun factor score categories... There is some balance to consider in your design. :)

Jimmy Valavanis
20-04-2012, 04:34 AM
OK, thanks, I've got it!

Ingemar
25-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Speaking of the locations, what is a significantly different location?

"Each new location must have a different visual theme and it must be obvious that you are in a new location."

My "locations" are all pretty similar, every "location" is really just a flat piece of ground with some buildings on it. The number if buildings and their looks will be different (at least a little) for all "locations" and you can do somewhat different things in each.

That way, I hope that I can fulfill the demand somewhat. I guess the "different visual theme" is a relative thing, you can't really define what "different" means more than that it clearly can't be identical.

Ingemar
29-04-2012, 01:41 PM
What is the deadline? I mean, I work on swedish time, so do I have to midnight, or before, or after?

User137
29-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Maybe the local time counts. Otherwise maybe when last timezone turns into monday at midnight, i hope. 5pm on sunday here.

PS. So far there are only 4 entries uploaded to FTP. More is coming? ;)

SilverWarior
29-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Unfortunatly there will be no my entry there. Still to much work to be done. You can check more information about it here: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?13344-Life-among-the-stars-unfinished-2nd-PGD-challenge-entry

WILL
29-04-2012, 03:48 PM
The deadline is basically "your" local midnight. I tend to leave the FTP on for a wee bit after the last midnight of the 29th, just to be sure everyone gets a chance to upload.

Also, even if you entry is not finished, it's always nice to upload something. Having a bunch of entries half finished is much better than having absolutely nothing uploaded. And it doesn't look at bad. So please upload what you've done even if it's not finished. It shows that there was interest instead of nothing in it's place in the showcase after.

Ingemar
29-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Also, even if you entry is not finished, it's always nice to upload something. Having a bunch of entries half finished is much better than having absolutely nothing uploaded. And it doesn't look at bad. So please upload what you've done even if it's not finished. It shows that there was interest instead of nothing in it's place in the showcase after.

I have been thinking along these lines too. Even though I have no chance in the world to make a top entry, making one at all will at least support the event, show that I am interested, not abandon it with too few contributions.

I guess my entry will at best be demonstrate my intentions. I havn't even made a thread for it and my "to do" list seems infinite. But OTOH it always does.

Jimmy Valavanis
30-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I have a stupid question. Can someone participate with 2 entries?
No, I'm not planning to make a second entry in the 2 extra days :) :)