PDA

View Full Version : A completely stupid DirectX question!

Damot
15-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Okay, I've been using DelphiX for sometime but I'd like to know more about DirectX and exactly whats going on behind the scenes.

I'm only interested in 2D games, no 3D at all, but everything DirectX related I've read (including the SDK I downloaded) is to do with 3D.

I thought I needed to use DirectDraw, not Direct3D, but the SDK suggests this is no longer being developed (?).

Anyway, my stupid question is this, what *exactly* do I need to write my own 2D games (with the latest DirectX) with? Do I use Direct3D but ignore everything 3D related?

I'm confused. All I want to do is duplicate what I've been doing easily with DelphiX's components but with the latest DirectX and understanding whats going on. Plus be able to play MP3 and MID files etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction please!?

snorga
15-10-2004, 09:53 AM
Theres is a few components that uses 3D hardware to draw 2D.

Have a look here:
http://turbo.gamedev.net/wrappers.asp

I use Asphyre, works great for drawing 2d.

If you have questions about one of them, you can try and ask them here:
http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/index.php?c=7

Nightmare_82
15-10-2004, 09:56 AM
In my 2D RPG game, I use AsphyreComponents for graphic. It works with Direct3D, but the interface looks like a normal 2D engine. It works with DirectX9c, but you could use software renderer optionally. And the source is included, so you can see how it works.
If you want to write your own 2D engine with direct3D, you need to read many tutorials before starting.

For sound, fmod (www.fmod.org) is very good. It can handle many formats, is fast and very voluminous.(you can also use 3D sound without problems).

Damot
15-10-2004, 05:29 PM
In my 2D RPG game, I use AsphyreComponents for graphic. It works with Direct3D, but the interface looks like a normal 2D engine. It works with DirectX9c, but you could use software renderer optionally. And the source is included, so you can see how it works.
If you want to write your own 2D engine with direct3D, you need to read many tutorials before starting.

For sound, fmod (www.fmod.org) is very good. It can handle many formats, is fast and very voluminous.(you can also use 3D sound without problems).

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still confused though. If I was a professional game programmer and wanted to write a 2D game, what would I be using then? Direct3d (as above) or DirectDraw? And which version of DX would I be concentrating on?

Traveler
15-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm still confused though. If I was a professional game programmer and wanted to write a 2D game, what would I be using then? Direct3d (as above) or DirectDraw? And which version of DX would I be concentrating on?

Imo, you're thinking in the wrong direction. You should use whatever you're comfortable with and not follow the rest by choosing something that is used a lot by others.
If you're good with Asphyre or Omega then thats perfectly okay. There really is no right or wrong here.

As for what professional gameprogrammers use, I can only guess, but I think I'm pretty warm when I say Direct3D. Then again, most 'pros' don't use Delphi, but C++ :roll:

WILL
16-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Well you can also consider other non-DirectX API's aswell. DirectX is one one of the ones that are 'industry standard'. There is OpenGL and SDL aswell. Both are quite capable of writting very professionally made 2D games. (LOTS of others for sound too)

My best recommendation, trial and error or testing them out. Try one then try another. See what tickles your fancy. Which performs better for your development style and which is more capable for what you want to do? Consider all of this and find out for yourself. Getting right down to it, thats how everybody else did it at one point or another.

Damot
16-10-2004, 08:59 AM

Imo, you're thinking in the wrong direction. You should use whatever you're comfortable with and not follow the rest by choosing something that is used a lot by others.
If you're good with Asphyre or Omega then thats perfectly okay. There really is no right or wrong here.

As for what professional gameprogrammers use, I can only guess, but I think I'm pretty warm when I say Direct3D. Then again, most 'pros' don't use Delphi, but C++ :roll:

I started with DelphiX because I had no idea what I needed. The decision for me now is important, it seems Directdraw is all I need, but is there any point in learning the detailed stuff for something that will soon disappear? (assuming it will).

So I'm now thinking perhaps I should start learning in 2004/2005 what will be expected over the next couple of years.

But it does seem silly to me having to learn more complicated stuff with Direct3D if all I want to do is 2d scrolling games. But I'm also keen on sticking with DirectX.

I'll investigate some more and get even more confused!

Thanks all.