PDA

View Full Version : A game by pstudio

pstudio
30-04-2012, 09:50 AM
When I came home last thursday night I was thinking to myself: "Why haven't I bothered making a game for the PGD Challenge?"
I ended up deciding to see what kind of game I could create in three days and this is the result.

The game (couldn't be bothered giving it a name) is a basic top-down shooter. There are different kind of enemies you'll have to kill or avoid. The goal of the game is to collect 11 different coloured keys and remove the 11 locks spread out on 3 different maps. Pretty simple.

The game is up on the ftp or can be downloaded from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/920760/pstudio.zip

846 847

The game is written with Oxygene for Java (and uses Slick (http://slick.cokeandcode.com)) but it depends on a few DLLs. The dll are included in the package but if you're using OSx or Linux you'll have to resolve the dependencies yourself.

While the game is playable it clearly lacks game balancing. I actually uploaded the final entry before testing if the game could be finished (it can be). But in the end I think the game's alright for a couple of days intense work ;)

WILL
30-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Very cool! A name would help when we have to call it something other than pstudio's shooter game, but I can understand you not wanting to spend too much time on somewhat rudimentary things.

You know you have an extra 3 days to improve your game if you want. Could you benefit from that?

I think that makes 2 games that use Oxygene as their development tools. Not overly easy "pioneering" usage on newer tools, not previously used for game dev. Our RemObjects friends will like that though, I'm sure. ;)

Ingemar
30-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Very cool! A name would help when we have to call it something other than pstudio's shooter game,

You should call it AGBP of course. Or AGBPS. Or Agg-Bupps (just speaking the abbreviation out loud). I better stop this, or Iäll come up with something unintentionally rude.

I thought I would be the last to start a game thread but you beat me to that! :)

pstudio
30-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Very cool! A name would help when we have to call it something other than pstudio's shooter game, but I can understand you not wanting to spend too much time on somewhat rudimentary things.
Yeah names are overrated. Ah co-student linked to this article (http://designreboot.blogspot.com/2012/04/dog-name-theory.html) today explaining why names doesn't matter.

You know you have an extra 3 days to improve your game if you want. Could you benefit from that?
Well my trial license for Oxygene has expired today so the only thing I can do would be to update graphics or redesign my game maps. I don't feel like I would gain much from that so I'll just let the game be as it is and be a testament of my 3 days of work.

I think that makes 2 games that use Oxygene as their development tools. Not overly easy "pioneering" usage on newer tools, not previously used for game dev. Our RemObjects friends will like that though, I'm sure. ;)I must admit that I didn't know much about Oxygene before downloading the trial a month ago. But I'm pleasantly surprised about how well it works. It is cool that I can take any java library (we must admit the java scene is larger than the pascal) and it just works with oxygene. RemObjects have also added some interesting features to the Pascal language.
However there have been some obstacles. The last obstacle I encountered was a pretty stupid one. For background music i had to call a method named "loop". Unfortunately "loop" is a keyworkd so I couldn't call that method and as a result the music doesn't loop in the game. This is just a minor detail and not the worst issue I've encountered but it still annoys me a bit.

I thought I would be the last to start a game thread but you beat me to that! :)Evidently :D I couldn't be bothered making a thread while making the game and when I uploaded the game yesterday I was too tired to start a thread.

WILL
01-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Well I'm glad that your Oxygene experience was mostly positive. That actually does speak well of the tool for gave development. Did you post the source code too? (RemObjects has approved this usage!)

If not, maybe you should? There are only 2 games out there, that I know of, made with Oxygene. They could be decent examples of how to work with different libraries, etc.

pstudio
01-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I haven't uploaded the source. Yet anyways.

The code is not pretty due to the game being hacked together in 3 days. Especially the last day a lot of new features were added and I just added code were ever I could to make the game functional.

But sure, if somebody wants to look at code (be warned) I have no problem uploading it.

paul_nicholls
09-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I haven't uploaded the source. Yet anyways.

The code is not pretty due to the game being hacked together in 3 days. Especially the last day a lot of new features were added and I just added code were ever I could to make the game functional.

But sure, if somebody wants to look at code (be warned) I have no problem uploading it.

I just had a go...rather good for 3 days work!
I especially loved the "you suck" and "this is a game" parts hahaha