PDA

View Full Version : Delphix & refresh rates

Damot
20-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Does DelphiX change the monitor's refresh rates?

In otherwords when requesting 640x480 16bit display, will it look for the highest refresh rate for that resolution?

Traveler
20-10-2004, 07:10 PM
No, refresh rates are not changed by DelphiX. (Or any or other package for that matter.) If I have set the refresh rate in Windows to 60 hertz then that's what is used by DelphiX or Omega or GLXtreem or ...etc

Damot
21-10-2004, 10:14 AM
No, refresh rates are not changed by DelphiX. (Or any or other package for that matter.) If I have set the refresh rate in Windows to 60 hertz then that's what is used by DelphiX or Omega or GLXtreem or ...etc

But I am correct in thinking that if a program uses 640x480 it uses the refresh rate selected for that resolution, not say 800x600 in windows?

In otherwords, if you set different refresh rates for the different resolutions in windows, that'll effect what resolution the game uses?

Traveler
21-10-2004, 11:49 AM
In otherwords, if you set different refresh rates for the different resolutions in windows, that'll effect what resolution the game uses?

This is not possible. Refresh rates are resolution independent. (At least on the two pc's I've tested it on). Meaning, it's always the same whatever resolution you're using.

Damot
21-10-2004, 07:29 PM

This is not possible. Refresh rates are resolution independent. (At least on the two pc's I've tested it on). Meaning, it's always the same whatever resolution you're using.

Yes I think you're right. I just seem to remember a computer where the graphics drivers allowed you to select different refresh rates for each of the modes. I'm probably wrong. As usual!

cairnswm
22-10-2004, 05:07 AM
I'm probably wrong. As usual!

<Rant and Rave mode on>
One thing that I find limits developers that start work is this attitude!

Who cares if you were right or wrong. It made us all think. I dont know about anyone else but the first thing I tried to do is to see if I could have different refresh rates. (Stupid notebook has it fixed anyway). Traveller tried on at least two PCs - it shows that we all learnt something.

There is no such thing as a stupid question!

There are only stupid people that are now prepared to ask their questions. If you need to ask a question it means its not stupid.

Sorry about rant and rave - I just wish people were more prepared to ask questions that they think are stupid.
<rant and rave mode off>

:)