PDA

View Full Version : UnDelphiX or DelphiX?

Damot
20-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Hi again,

What is the difference between the two and which is better?

Do you think I'd find UnDelphix more compatible, since DelphiX is pretty old now?

Traveler
20-10-2004, 06:54 PM
From the UnDelphiX page at Turbo:

Quite simply, UnDelphiX is a unofficial version of DelphiX powered by the official JEDI DirectX headers. It also has various "Better English" error messages, comments, and samples. It also will include DXG and DXW editors with full source.

The entire concept here is simple - make the best game development system for Delphi better, and try to do it with the most support and approval as possible. If I can draw support for this project, I feel that it will do the most good for the entire Delphi game development community.

(..)

I've heard people saying that it has increased speed of their games in some degree.

For more info, visit Turbo. (http://turbo.gamedev.net/undelphix.asp) It has all the info you need to answer your question.

Damot
21-10-2004, 10:11 AM
From the UnDelphiX page at Turbo:

Quite simply, UnDelphiX is a unofficial version of DelphiX powered by the official JEDI DirectX headers. It also has various "Better English" error messages, comments, and samples. It also will include DXG and DXW editors with full source.

The entire concept here is simple - make the best game development system for Delphi better, and try to do it with the most support and approval as possible. If I can draw support for this project, I feel that it will do the most good for the entire Delphi game development community.

(..)

I've heard people saying that it has increased speed of their games in some degree.

For more info, visit Turbo. (http://turbo.gamedev.net/undelphix.asp) It has all the info you need to answer your question.

Thanks, yes I've read the above. I was wondering if using the JEDI headers makes it more compatible.

It seems to me there are issues with DelphiX on a number of machines (changing from windowed to fullscreen mode for example).

So really if I was to continue using DelphiX for now, would you recomend DelphiX or UnDelphiX?

Traveler
21-10-2004, 12:01 PM
I don't know the UnDelphiX version well enough to answer that question. However, it would seem to me that UnDelphiX is better.

WILL
22-10-2004, 12:26 AM
UnDelphiX is simply an updated version of DelphiX. Some individuals took the DelphiX source and made some basic improvements.

I do not know all of them, but the main ones are:

:arrow: Makes use of DirectX 8.1(used to be DirectX 7)
:arrow: Modified to be directly installed into Delphi 7(with the latest version, support for Delphi 6 and below requires some changes)
:arrow: You DO NOT run the .exe in the 'bin' folder you open the .pkg file in the 'source' directory and hit the Install button!

:?: I believe there was some optimizations in the code aswell(mostly using faster methods and avoiding use of slow functions liken to that of cos/sin and accessing memory differently). :?:

That should give you a bit more details. Otherwise same thing really. Pretty much all projects using DelphiX will make use of UnDelphiX as if there was no change(just the improvements, and maybe a removed field in the TDXDraw class constraints I believe).

cairnswm
22-10-2004, 05:03 AM
UnDelphiX works with DirectX 8.1 the same way DelphiX does - by using the DirectDraw interface (last changed in DirectX 7) thats for 2D anyway. There may be some changes to 3D that use DirectX 8.1.

As far as I know the difference between DelphiX and UnDelphiX is the procedure header calls. One sends TRect objects and the other sends a pointer to a TRect. By sending a pointer it makes if (marginally) faster.