PDA

View Full Version : Voxeled - A Voxel Editor

Relfos
25-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Some time ago I created a voxel editor, just for fun (even though I might use in future projects).
To use, import a image (16x16 pixels) and use it as base to add or remove voxels.
It saves the file as a .vxl format, if you want to use it for games or something, the format is quite simple, just a raw 16x16x16 array of RGBA colors (4bytes).
Download it here: www.pascalgameengine.com/downloads/voxeled_alpha.rar (http://www.pascalgameengine.com/downloads/voxeled_alpha.rar)
I'm open to any suggestions :)

AirPas
25-06-2012, 08:07 PM
looks good in the picture . but
Access violation
i read the log file but no hint about the error

Relfos
25-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Hmm, what are the last lines of the log file?

AirPas
25-06-2012, 08:53 PM
[System] End of log session.

User137
25-06-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't get any errors, but controls feel a bit awkward. Cannot control the camera with mouse, and block placement seems very random. The placed color seems random, and also where it appears or is being removed isn't where i point cursor at.

Relfos
25-06-2012, 10:53 PM
[System] End of log session.
Hmm, maybe your videocard is not supported? What card do you have?

I don't get any errors, but controls feel a bit awkward. Cannot control the camera with mouse, and block placement seems very random. The placed color seems random, and also where it appears or is being removed isn't where i point cursor at.
Yes, for now camera can only be moved with keyboard. Did you import a picture? Maybe it was not right size (16x16)
Block placement appears ok here, clicking on a block puts a block or removes depending on the mouse button pressed.

User137
26-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Yeah, i tested with opening different sample files. At some points where i right/left click, voxel didn't disappear or appear.

AirPas
26-06-2012, 11:35 AM
What card do you have.

mine is ATI Mobility Radeon X1300

Relfos
26-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Yeah, i tested with opening different sample files. At some points where i right/left click, voxel didn't disappear or appear.
Strange, now I don't know if it is really a bug or if you are trying to click on empty spaces maybe?
The picking code should work 100%, at least on all hardware I tried (lots of it).

mine is ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
Just checked the specs, that card should be supported. Hmm, I'll try to upload a debug build later.

Ñuño Martínez
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I like voxels a lot, because it remembers me good old pixelated games. :)

Some years ago I tried to build a voxel engine named Voxrend (http://voxrend.sourceforge.net) but then I switch to Pascal and the project is currently abandoned (and very buggy :( ). I'm tempted to restart the project, but it uses ray-casting to render and result is quite ugly (specially compared with Ken Silverman's Voxlap (http://www.advsys.net/ken/voxlap.htm) and such). I was searching for better algorithms but I can't find any that convinces me.

As suggestion, it would be nice if it supports Ken's formats (VOX, kvx and kv6, IIRC)

WILL
03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Very cool!

farcodev
08-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Good work :)

WILL
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I'd recommend not using image shack or anything else like that for posting images or screenshots. PGD is great for hosting your image files, you just have to upload from YOUR computer for it to work. And it works well! No broken or slow loading images. (That's why I switched web hosts! ;))

User137
09-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Didn't pgd reduce image size though? We like details :) It doesn't need to come with bandwidth cost, 200-300kb limit would be acceptable for most. We can compress images with Gimp or something, without losing fine details.