PDA

View Full Version : SMStudio and Linux+WineHQ

Ñuño Martínez
17-08-2012, 07:09 PM
I was planning to test Smart Mobile Studio but I've found that it needs WinXP + SP4 or more. I have a computer with WinXP + SP2 but SP3 breaks it and I didn't try SP4*.

The other systems are both Xubuntu 12, one 32bit and the other 64bit. In both systems WineHQ worked with most applications, including Delphi 6 and games as GTA: Vice City and eDuke32 (Duke Nukem 3D port for Windows).

Did somebody tested SMStudio on Linux + WineHQ?

* Both Windows XP and SP2 are original and legal, since it's an IBM system and they gave me the disks. I have no idea why but when I updated to SP3 the system worked tooooooooo ssssssssssslooooooooowwwwwwwwlyyyyyyy, and some applications didn't work at all so I had to format and install it again.

WILL
17-08-2012, 10:51 PM
There is also a program called CrossOver which I am using instead of Parallels because it doesn't require a whole copy of Windows running in a virtual machine. It does this sort of "bottle" thing instead that simulates the Windows environment. Works great for the beta of FTL. Maybe that's a good alternative?

Since the resulting HTML5/Javascript output from Smart is non-Windows. I'm currious if they are planning on making a Mac and Linux port of their tool. I should ask them.

code_glitch
18-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Alrighty... A few things about the latest release of wine (the one thats now found in the ubuntu PPAs)...

Since wine released version 1.5 everything - and I mean everything just seems to magically work bar a few really specific programs which are quite new to the scene. The WineHQ appdb as such tends to have a lot of outdated tests. Also it now supports 64 bit windows programs which can make setting up stuff a tad harder, but just google up something with the terms 'wine1.5' and the number of bits you want and how to setup basic dependencies you think you might need.

As for testing - the best way is to make a new and separate wine prefix so that if you end up accidentally nuking something or messing something up all your apps still work fine. Thats actually easier done than said:

mkdir .thenewprefix
#makes a hidden folder called thenewprefix which will be our wine prefix
$WINEPREFIX=/home/$USER/.thenewprefix wine setup.exe
#runs setup.exe in wine using the new prefix

note that you might want to do a winecfg in your new prefix just to set up some basic stuff before delving straight into that. Though some compilers can cause some weird behaviour and crashes under wine, the last time I did this was a few years back and lets just say wine had some trouble with the most basic of apps and really doesnt reflect the current versions. Personally, I think wine 1.5 is well worth the hassle since the ironic realization that more windows programs work under wine on linux than work on windows 8 sort of speaks for itself :)

Ñuño Martínez
18-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Personally, I think wine 1.5 is well worth the hassle since the ironic realization that more windows programs work under wine on linux than work on windows 8 sort of speaks for itself :) Curiously, that happened with Windows 98 and OS/2 + Merlin (IIRC, WineHQ started with some code from the Merlin project), so I think this is the rule.

WILL
18-08-2012, 10:25 PM
From the Delphi developer (http://www.facebook.com/groups/137012246341854/) Facebook group:

Not yet, but a Mac Shell compiler is in prototype