PDA

View Full Version : What I must use for my game?

ricardo_sdl
07-11-2004, 05:47 PM
I would like to know what is better to use to make a 2d game in the Delphi? (DelphiX, SDL, Windows Canvas, others?). Thanks for all.

WiZz
07-11-2004, 06:57 PM
I think SDL is very good, but if You want only 2d, then Omega is the best :)

Traveler
07-11-2004, 08:07 PM
IMO, DelphiX is the most easiest of all. It comes with demos and there are many tutorials available on the Net. There hasn't been an update for quite some time though. Latest release it the UndelphiX version at Turbo.

Omega is a good starting point. Its a bit harder than DelphiX, but also has quite a few examples to learn from. However, it does require an additional dll iirc next to your executable.

SDL is a next step on the ladder, a bit more difficult than Omega, but it also comes with examples. SDL also requires extra dll files, but is cross platform, meaning you can also make executables for say Linux.

I'd stay away from Windows Canvas, its way too slow to do anything more than tic-tac-toe or hangman.

An other good package to start is GLXtreem, its a bit like DelphiX and Omega, but focused towards opengl instead of directx.
Comes with a few demos.

There are a couple others, but I don't know enough about them.

My advices would be to check all of them out and see for yourself whats the best option. (theres a more complete list here (http://turbo.gamedev.net/wrappers.asp)).

cairnswm
08-11-2004, 05:29 AM
SDL actually only looks complicated. It is in fact more simple than any of the other libraries mentioned. (Basically because it removes all object complexity).

Look at my S2DL library built on top of SDL - it took me 10 hours work to get a Draw area, Images, Image Lists, Fonts, Font lists, sounds and a sound engine up and working - including a demo game.

My problem with SDL is that it actually uses DirectX 5, OpenGL or GDI. DirectX 5 is very old. But the good thing about it is that you as developer do not need to worry about it as SDL manages it for you.

I would suggest for someone just starting is that using my S2DL code would be the easiest place to start.

WILL
08-11-2004, 05:38 AM
JEDI-SDL 1.0 is soon to be out and is in alpha right now. You can read about it and find the link in the JEDI-SDL forums.

Or you can always just use JEDI-SDL 0.5 which is quite functional as it is.

SDL is used with many opensource and freeware games. And it seems to be just as popular as OpenGL under Linux.

{MSX}
08-11-2004, 07:50 AM
I would like to know what is better to use to make a 2d game in the Delphi? (DelphiX, SDL, Windows Canvas, others?). Thanks for all.

I definitely suggest SDL. It's easy, cross-platform, works with fpc too etc etc.

Bye!