PDA

View Full Version : Delphi 2005 a flop, IMOHO >:P

WILL
01-12-2004, 02:46 AM
Well ladies(maybe?) and Gents, the verdict is in...

I have tried the latest flavor of Delphi and I have to say that at first I was intrigued... then put off (but the sheer size of the installation; over a gig)... then dismayed by the ugly and irritating tweeks of the new editor... finally disappointed by the fact that CLX support is not included.

I have to ssay that Borland has made a serious miss on this one. Not only have they pulled 'an Adobe' (known for it's every other version having to 'correct' a mistake in interface design that the previous 'latest and greatest' left users with that familiar bad taste in their mouths), BUT they completely let down a recently new (and created by their own hands mind you!) technology that was still fighting to grow to what it's original intention was in the first place.

What is Borland thinking??? :x

The only 'good' thing to it, which I have no personal interest in, is the .NET(which it's that great either) and C#(which is no really Pascal either).

Personally the last compiler that was any good that they made was Delphi 7 and I doubt I'll be switching until either a WORKING version of Kylix 4, or whatever, comes out OR a much 'nicer/easier to install on Debian' IDE comes out for Free Pascal (fully supported Object Pascal language will help sway me too).

Of course this is just one man's oppinion.

Robert Kosek
01-12-2004, 03:54 AM
Well.... Until I am semi-fluent with OpenGL I'll stick with Delphi 6. HANG Delphi 2005 for all I care, the .NET stuff is total junk anyway! I'm goin' Freepascal once I know enough about OpenGL!

The C# integration is an interesting feature, though I wouldn't use it.

Traveler
01-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Well.... Until I am semi-fluent with OpenGL I'll stick with Delphi 6.

Same here, though its D5 for me with an occasional hour spend in D7 (personal edition).

noeska
01-12-2004, 12:59 PM
I am over. Just got the delphi 2005 pro update from the postman.

But then i have an interest in .net . And the latest pro version i have is delphi 3 pro. And for day to day usage i used delphi 5 standard. So for me it is time to keep up. Just have to wait before loading time gets to annoy me though....

So for now it is bye bye to the delphi 2005 trial and on to installing the pro.

WILL
02-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Crapola! I made a double post by accident. Sorry guys. :?

Please vote here and post to the other one with more replies.

Here it is: http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/viewtopic.php?t=1669

MikeS
02-12-2004, 01:07 AM
As of right now I'm a free pascal/lazarus user. I want to buy Delphi, but am just not intriged with the new 2005 version.

I don't really understand what the importance of .net is, but I know it's probebly a good thing. The thing I don't like though, is that Borland sees no market for other platforms it seems! Give me Kylix 4 now! :P

Btw, if anyone ever finds a copy of Delphi 7 or Kylix 3 on sale, buy a copy for yourself ,and then PM me so I can buy one. ;)

WILL
02-12-2004, 01:25 AM
Ok, I'll try locking this thread instead... :roll: