PDA

View Full Version : Wizards Tactics

BojZ
16-12-2004, 01:17 PM
'ello!

We're making a game called Wizards Tactics. We'd like to make a remake of the game Lords Of Chaos with some extensions (X-Com, Jagged Alliance,...). The game is on our page and the download is updated (usually) weekly - sundays.

To check the progress you can click on the "read dev log" button on the page or you can read the WizardsTacticsProgress.txt file that comes with the game.

Currently there are no instructions/"real help" available but any gamer with some tactics/strategy gaming experience should know how to operate the (currently clumsy) game. Move with the mouse over objects to get quick info. Help is displayed at the bottom of the screen.

Let me know if you like the game and sorry for all the bugs... :D

The link is www.bojzgames.net/wt

If you are interested and would like to join us, drop me a line on bojz@bojzgames.net. We need every-thing/one. :?

HF,

BojZ

P.S. The gfx in the game is from the game Dungeon Odyssey. Use google to find it online. :twisted:

{MSX}
16-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Nice! That's my favourite game genre :P

I'm dowloading it (at work, but don't tell anybody) :P

Traveler
17-12-2004, 09:38 AM
From what I can see, its looking quit nice! Too bad the shots are a bit small to get a real good picture. Looking forward to see more.

btw, you might want to remove the dot in the url as it actually gives an error page. People could think your site is not available or something

BojZ
17-12-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm working on the game a lot, but as I don't always have the energy to get myself do something "useful" with the game when I get home from work, it often happens that I just fix bugs or add some minor things to the game...

I usually update the downloadable game on sundays.

Maybe this sunday the A* pathfinding will work and the map editor is making good progress aswell so I'll take the saturday and make a nice map.

Tnx for the dot reminder, T.

BojZ

{MSX}
17-12-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm working on the game a lot, but as I don't always have the energy to get myself do something "useful" with the game when I get home from work, it often happens that I just fix bugs or add some minor things to the game...

That's true! Damned job, it always interfere with our free time. :D

Anyway, about the game, it' quite good, but it has a couple of things that i didn't like.
One is the mouse that "jumps" to the center of the objects. I find that it disturb the mouse movements. You could instead let the pointer free and add the "cross" in the center of the tile that stay fixed.
Also, the game area is too small. Most of the screen is black, and the units are a little too small. I think it would look better if you enlarge both.

BTW will you continue with the graphic of Dungeon Odyssey or will you draw you own ?

Bye :P

BojZ
17-12-2004, 11:27 AM
=]

I get that a lot, about the small gfx.

When in full screen mode it is actually much nicer. But I plan to make my own gfx when the game is "completed" and then all will look much nicer. :wink: (will add console command this week)

The Dung.Od. gfx is only temporary. I have enough graphical elements from the same "game art type" to keep me stimulated while I am making snail paced runs/progress on the game. That's why I'm using the DO gfx. At first I was thinking about using the gfx from the game Geneforge but (dunno why) decided to use the OD gfx.

HF,

BojZ

BojZ
27-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Page updated. Version 0.74 available. Still buggy, but getting closer. =]

Take a look at our page here : www.bojzgames.net

BojZ

WILL
27-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Very nice, BojZ!

I'll make a news post of this when I can. ;)

BojZ
27-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Tnx WILL, that would be great!

It is nice and importatnt that we (Pascal developers) keep the gamedev scene alive, not only by providing technical tools and support but (in my opin.) more importantly help each other to keep our motivation and to get the games shipped - only final products count,... (we in BG have 4 projects, none of them finished) =]

But enough theory. The page is up, it's updated almost each day, but this week we're goin out of the concrete jungle, spend some time in the middle ages, where fire needs wood to sustain itself, not gas... =]

Electricity is provided, we'll have our notebooks there so we can spend some quality time (without misc. disturbances like jobs, studying and those guddamn drunks yelling at 04:30AM) working on the game and it just might happen that the next version available will have many bugs removed (my personal goal No. -1) and new or old playability features added.

To the whole world:
Have a nice time, holiday, leave,... spend the time in nice social (and natural) environments, don't drink 2 much but not to little either, don't drink and drive and most of all keep the good spirit alive!

BojZGames_Team_wishes_to_all := T_NewYear.Create('Happy');
(Hope it compiles in your real-life compiler...)

BojZ

BojZ
10-01-2005, 02:46 PM
You need to know that the page has been updated. New version of WT available for download, too - 0.75c. Still buggy, though. =]

BojZ

WILL
11-01-2005, 03:58 AM
Any new screenshots you could post for us? :)

BojZ
11-01-2005, 08:04 AM
New shreenshots are on the page, If you would like to, however, I can make screenshots for the pgd and send/post them here.

BojZ
www.bojzgames.net
...in pursuit of fun!

cairnswm
11-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Have you considered using the graphics from

http://www.reinerstileset.4players.de:1059/englisch.htm

It would suit your game quite well and is completely free.

BojZ
11-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Tnx for the link, cairnswm! I'll start downloading the gfx right away. There will be some changes this sunday... =]

BojZ

BojZ
16-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Updated page. Did some cleaning on the code, added doors, rewritten LOS,...

www.bojzgames.net

BojZ

Robert Kosek
16-01-2005, 04:06 AM
Last time I tried playing the game it wouldn't draw, would you include your versions of the dlls? It was asking for SDL.

BojZ
16-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Errr... I'm not using SDL. I'm using DirectX [DelphiX].... I've got DirectX 9.0c and it runs 5/5.

BojZ

Robert Kosek
16-01-2005, 09:57 PM
It runs this time, but crashs with odd errors. It can be from moving the mouse to clicking a container.

Overall not too bad, though certain items cannot be picked up. (haste, stones)

BojZ
17-01-2005, 07:43 AM
The game has many bugs at this stage.

Some items cannot be picked up because they have no effect (crystals, alchemy set).

Sometimes moving units around in the lower part of the map can cause problems.

The game also crashes if AI spawns on a tile with a wall or a closed door. I'm fixing that one this week, if I find the time and energy in the evenings...

Most of the bugs are map related - I've messed up the map a bit when I was coding the map editor and not all tiles are set correctly. The medicine for this sickness would be a new map from scratch, but I'm not done with the editor so it would be waste of time and effort to fix the map now.

One non-map related bug is melee attack - I fixed the ranged attack but the melee attack effect doesn't work now.

There are also some bugs with treasures - they contain items that sould not be there (map issue) causing crashes.

If you find any bugs, let me know via email.

BojZ

BojZ
17-01-2005, 07:52 AM
Updated page with new screenshots.

Added some new decorative items and containers to the database.

Also updated WT GDD with console commands and key map.

I'm planning to do some debugging this week if I manage to find some time.

www.bojzgames.net

BojZ

WILL
25-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Sweet! :)

Why not post the screenshots here? It'll help lure in prospective players, beta-testers and other interested parties...

BojZ
24-04-2005, 11:34 AM
It's been a while...

Updated page with new less buggy (a-ha...) version of the game.

Our homepage (www.bojzgames.net (http://www.bojzgames.net/)) is also constantly updated with new entries to the WT Game Design Document.

Welcome. =]

HF,

BojZ

BojZ
11-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Another small move.

Added a few bugs to the game and changed the version number to 0.76c.

Monsters now duplicate (Slime blob arena) and items you pick up with your minions actually change you stats (not all items,.. hey, I said I added a few bugs, not all of them).

Enemies pick up and use items.

Level up increases max mana and max health under certain alien conditions.

Altered start data for most minions.

Added some end turn messages, (press m in the game) so you get some idea what's happening on the screen.

It's all here -> http://www.bojzgames.net

BojZ