PDA

View Full Version : Installing Delphi on CD

{MSX}
28-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Ok this is a strange question :)

The motivation:
-I've got a very old computer with no 3d card, so i can't do anything 3d :(
-At my university they just upgraded the computers-rooms. We now have brand new Pentium4s 1800 ghz with cool 3d card, so i though "why not use them!?"

The problem:
-In this computers i have lots of programs.. VC++, VJ++, VB, Java, various unknown language but (guess what) not Delphi! :roll: :(

So the question is: given that i can't install programs on the computers' hard disk, is there a way to install delphi on a CD, and than use that CD in whatever computer?
I know it will lack all registry information, temp files and so on.. but maybe some of you have done this.
Else if someone have some roundabouts on how to use Delphi in my situation, tell me :)
It will be enought even to have only the compiler (ie compiling from command line) without the IDE, if necessary

iLLUNis
28-11-2002, 03:08 PM
:shock: Ask them to instal Delphi... :oops: i really cannot think of a way that you could actually put Delphi in a CD. If anyone can do that please let us know... :roll:

{MSX}
28-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Ask them to instal Delphi...
i guess i could have a try..
but if i remember well the personal edition does not permits to use it in university or similar..

Stevie56
28-11-2002, 06:25 PM
I think the answer is no for the following reasons.

The installation processes the registry and fiddles with the file association stuff as well.

When my system broke, I re-installed Windows and tried running Delphi, which has its own drive. It failed and had to be reinstalled.

The personal edition of Delphi can only go onto a single machine for a single user.

The Uni will be in breach of the license, but a request to Inprise by the head of Dept may produce a waiver.

{MSX}
28-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Oh bad thing.. i'll have to use WC++ .. :(
i don't want to use it!

TheLion
28-11-2002, 10:06 PM
I don't know how the university works, but you might ask the system administrator to give you permission to install the personal version (it's freeware if you are the only one using it). If you are running Windows NT he can specify that you are the only user that is allowed to run it...

It's a long shot, but worth a try! ;)

{MSX}
28-11-2002, 11:00 PM
I don't know how the university works, but you might ask the system administrator to give you permission to install the personal version (it's freeware if you are the only one using it). If you are running Windows NT he can specify that you are the only user that is allowed to run it...
It's a long shot, but worth a try! ;)

I'll try, but there are very few possibility..
also think that i have a 20 MB quote on disk :(
Sniff.. i'll hack it somehow.. :twisted: