PDA

View Full Version : Same quality C++ - Delphi?

kyriakos34
03-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I just have one question in the matter of quality in graphics between C and Delphi, to know I started programming with Pascal and later C++ too, the question is will I have the same quality in graphics output let say with Delphi as I will have with C++, in Win32 with directx or opengl despite the programming effort and pc power)?

:?:

Traveler
03-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Not sure how you come to think there could be a difference, because there really isn't. An image, whether it is displayed as a texture on a 3d object or used as a sprite in a 2d game, it'll be the same in every language.

TheLion
03-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Traveler is correct, the quality of an image or graphics are not defined by the language you use but by the image itself and eventually the graphics library (DirectDraw / Direct3D / Windows GDI / SDL), but basically even graphics libraries draw the image identically and both Delphi and C++ use use the same graphics libraries so no difference there either... :)

kyriakos34
04-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I believe that you're right I just had to know exactly what and how to begin, I prefer Delphi and I have one more question: Delphi 9 is more suitable than 7(what to use if I want more compatibility with win32 and stability)?

Thank you again :roll:

TheLion
04-01-2005, 01:34 PM
I don't have much experience with Delphi 9 (Delphi 2005 if I'm correct), however I do know that Delphi 2005 can compile Win32, however I have no clue in how far it is compatible with Win98 etc.

I'm actually still using Delphi 6, however I did manage to install Delphi 7 Personal on a Windows 98 machine so I guess Delphi 7 is fully Win32/Win98 compatible... of course there are always some things that will never work without XP or 2000 but they are mostly API related... ;)

WILL
05-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Delphi 2005(which is indeed Delphi 9) supports platforms win32 and .NET(with a lot of other required included installations like the .NET framework, Java++ SDK, GTK+ SDK, etc) and languages Object Pascal(which is what Borland calls the Delphi language) and C#(a bit different from C/C++). No CLX or Linux support.

Delphi 8 was the one that only supported .NET as is was sort of a guinepig project by Borland to test the .NET waters. No CLX or Linux support.

Delphi 7(the last compiler that I liked from Borland) supports win32 AND linux(using CLX and Qt). Can be used with Kylix to support the Linux platform, but there is a bug preventing Kylix from compiling or running on the 2.6.x linux kernel or higher.

The changes from Delphi 7 to 2005's IDE is quite big and the removal of Linux support with CLX and Qt is gone. The only possible saving grace is that they have added some code refactoring features. Delphi 2005 won't be coming by way of a Personal Edition for a while, but 7 has one available now.

Hope this sheds some light on your choice. The alternative is always Free Pascal, which is by NO means the boobie prize. It is quite cross-platform compatable(and cross-compiles) supporting win32, DOS, linux, BeOS, MacOSX, etc...

BTW, welcome to PGD! ;)

kyriakos34
10-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Well,
I have to thank you for the explain, I think that Delphi 7 is a bit more advanced for the hole matter and I will try to find the personal edition to begin, thanks again Traveler, The Lion and WILL.

kyriakos34
14-01-2005, 09:42 PM
One more questions, Doom 3 with what Api is made? opengl or directx?
It sounds a little kids question but it looks like a little of both of them? :oops:

Lightning
14-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Doom is made by ID Software just like Quake and Wolfstein if i'm not wrong and all of them used OpenGL else you would not have a Linux version would you ? However Quake used DirectSound on Windows if i'm not wrong again ;)
There is a project called Quake2Delphi dedicated to porting Quake from C/C++ to Object Pascal and it runs just fine showing that Delphi/OP is quite fast and usable for game programming.
The personal edition of Delphi is usable if you don't want to sell your apps, however i see a bright future ahead of Lazarus+FPC too.

Sly
15-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Depending on what versions of Quake and Wolfenstein you are talking about. Wolfenstein 3D used software rendering. Quake was released with software rendering only (renderer written by Michael Abrash). It was only later when QuakeWorld came out that it started supporting OpenGL, and only a subset of OpenGL aimed at 3Dfx Voodoo cards. Quake 2 was released with a software renderer and an OpenGL renderer. Quake 3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were OpenGL only.

All of the Quake series have used parts of DirectX such as DirectInput and DirectSound.

Doom 3 is the same. It uses OpenGL for rendering and DIrectX for input and sound.

Incubii
07-02-2005, 11:08 PM
what input and sound libraries does it use in linux?

Oh if you are wondering about Delphi Quake II i have a series on it in the articles section!

Sly
07-02-2005, 11:20 PM
I have no idea what they used in the Linux versions.

Kyle
23-02-2005, 06:54 PM
So Delphi 7 doesnt have an IDE? I tried Delphi 9, but found that i had to install more than 10 .NET plug-ins so i gave up....

czar
23-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Of course delphi 7 has an IDE. Delphi 7 is the best version of Delphi as far as I am concerned.

Lightning
25-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Delphi7 rulezz :))
However i also like Lazarus and FPC and of course use them because they are CrossPlatform and OpenSource and FPC is sometime even better than Delphi, there is nothing you can't do with FPC, just some things are different.

If you go for Delphi, get Delphi7 you'll love it ;)
You might also like Lazarus+FPC.