PDA

View Full Version : Brave New World

overchord
07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Hello all

I just thought I would introduce our project in here as it was also mentioned in the news section on the site.

The short intro is:

BNW-Project. (Brave New World)
Open source Game development.
The project is primarily developed in Delphi and OpenGL.
The game is real time strategy, allowing a number of players to build and develop countries in a world where people's beliefs govern what is possible.
If people believe in a certain myth or creature, these become a real part of the game world.
The game aims to remove itself from the typical total out warfare by introducing the concept of influence on map-tiles instead.

We are currently looking for people to join the project.

http://bnw.sourceforge.net

We are really just getting started as the project has been too small to really get off the ground earlier. However, it does mena that a lot of the concept is in place and a lot of ideas has been generated and we are now moving onto creating something from it all.
It is very much a project intended as a learning process for us all, so its not so much speed that is the essence as the opportunity to learn something and perhaps help others learn something as well.

At the current stage the project is changing over from Danish to English as the main language, and the Design document is being formulated in detail. An early version of a map-editor has also been created but will most likely undergo some reconstruction as we move on to use an existing graphics engine:

http://overchord.net/cgstuff/Mapedscr01.jpg

Anyway - hope to be able to keep you posted on our progress, and if anyone are interested in joing - have a look at our site or drop me a PM :wink:

savage
07-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Have you put together a Design Document?

WILL
07-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Welcome to PGD, overchord! :)

I hope your project starts taking off! RTS games are one of my favorite genre so I'll be sure to be checking this out as it gets developed. ;)

overchord
10-01-2005, 01:11 PM
@savage : Yes - partly. Due to the recent language change, the bulk of the design document is still in Danish, but it is something that I will be working on translating over the next couple of weeks. There are still a couple of chapters outstanding in detailed terms, but the broad concept lines have been laid down, and approximately 60% is written in detail at this stage.

@WILL: Thank you. And also thnak you for your mention here on the site. It is nice to see our langauge change paying off straight away and that there are other people that find the idea interesting :-)
An alpha build is still pretty far away, we are rather short of programmers and artists at the moment, but we have already gained a couple of new members since the end of December.

I hope to keep you all posted from time to time on our progress :-)

overchord
28-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Hi all

Just a small update on the status of BNW. After a lot of faffing about - loosing programmers, gaining new ones etc we decided to drop the original plan of writing the OpenGL code from scratch. So we are now implemeting GLScene instead. This is a minor step backwards intially as we are rebuilding the mapeditor to take advantage of some of the neat features that comes with GLScene.
We are also starting to get a couple of graphics guys working on the project initially making some plants to populate the map a bit and allow the programmers to get their feet wet with relatively simple objects :)
The design document is translating but are still being developed althoug the foundation is there to start on on the core of the game now.

Anyway - just a small "We are still alive" post :P

Anarki
28-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Hi, yes we are alive and well. I am actually doing some smoothing on our new Map Editor as we speak.

Hi from Anarki ;)

sinsiliux
17-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Hello all

We're pleased to announce that our team has finally released map editor 2.0b. There are many new features including new GUI and save/load system.

Here's a link to download it http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bnw/setup.exe?download

And here's the screenshot http://bnw.sourceforge.net/MapEditor2b.jpg

If you find any bugs just post here or in sourceforge bugtracker.

JSoftware
17-04-2005, 04:13 PM
is this the gex project from udvikleren.dk?

laslego
17-04-2005, 04:17 PM
is this the gex project from udvikleren.dk?

Yes it is :D.. We have finally got some work done ;)

JSoftware
17-04-2005, 05:02 PM
i'm very happy to see that you changed to delphi :D maaybe i'll eventually rejoin the group then :wink:

hva.. why did you change from c++?

laslego
17-04-2005, 05:47 PM
i'm very happy to see that you changed to delphi :D maaybe i'll eventually rejoin the group then :wink:

hva.. why did you change from c++?

Hmmm :\.. Have we used C++ ?? :unsure:... I have only been in the project for the last year or so, and I've only once heard one even mentioning C++... But maybe it was at the start of the project that C++ was considered :unsure:

Btw. your more then welcome to join us. We are contantly looking for developers!

JSoftware
17-04-2005, 06:11 PM
i've been in the group a minth or so that's when the group decided to run with c++ developement as main language and delphi for the tools. i wanted to do engine programming but i couldn't program c++/ hated c++ so i got out of there.

join form submitted :D

laslego
17-04-2005, 06:29 PM
i've been in the group a minth or so that's when the group decided to run with c++ developement as main language and delphi for the tools. i wanted to do engine programming but i couldn't program c++/ hated c++ so i got out of there.

join form submitted :D

Ok :D... Jeppe Johansen ?? Visit http://bnw.sourceforge.net/?page=forum and sign up there. Then sign up in the Programming user group, and lastly contact me on dalegaard@msn.com on MSN Messenger. I'm coordinating the development atm. so if you need something to do, just contact me...

Greatings!

overchord
04-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Just a new screendump of mapeditor where GUI implementation has begun. There is also parallel development of game engine and grpahics going on now.
Fortunately we are gaining members at the moment, but there's always room for more if any are interested :D

http://bnw.overchord.net/maped21.jpg

WILL
05-05-2005, 02:04 AM
Thats excellent news overchord! :D

How long till a playable demo might be seen considering your new members?

overchord
05-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi Will
It depends a bit on how smooth the game engine development goes.
Currently the frameset is under way. The engine is being designed directly towards being open for modifications to the game.
One of the areas where we are still lacking people is the graphics department, so our hope is that with a very basic alpha release we might encourage more people to start creating in-game material.
So I wouldn't dare to venture a guess at the moment untill we know how well the scripting implementation works out (the plan is to implement PHP as the scripting language since its something a lot of people are familiar with). Once that is in place, the floodgates should open and development speed should accelerate (since even slow-coaches like myself will be able to contribute more :) ).

overchord
18-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi guys - jsut another "we are still alive" update.

Things have slowed down quite a bit over summer, but development is picking up again now.
Engine development is progressing quite well atm, and a good part of the kernel is done - next big thing is dealing with the input task system and scripting language - we're still struggling a bit with determining what is the best option in terms of scripting and what language to use - so any previous experiences/tips&tricks would be greatly appreciated.

On the Concept front, the design document is expanding nearing completion of the base set, and game data is starting to get structured. We still need editors and grpahics for a number of these tasks - so obviously there is a long way to go, but at least we're moving in the right direction!

The number of active people on the project is quite variable, but generally low (I think a lot of people were expecting this to be done in a considerably shorter time than what is realistic), so there is a small core of 4-5 people plugging away at it. We reckon that once the alpha release of the engine is in place it will be easier to recruit people to deal with more specified tasks.

But as usual - we'll keep you posted on new releases and milestones :)

WILL
04-10-2006, 01:35 AM
You guys *still* alive? ;)

Give us an update on the game development.