PDA

View Full Version : DeleD 3D Editor

JeroenNL
26-01-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm working on a 3D editor called DeleD, written in Delphi 6 and OpenGL and to be found on http://www.delgine.com. Been working on it in my spare time for a few years until sometime last year a friend of mine started to help me out. Now, with around 40 downloads a day, it's being used by thousands of people worldwide and becoming more and more popular for creating game-content.

I like to think it's the perfect proof of what can be achieved with Delphi and OpenGL combined. :P

Traveler
26-01-2005, 08:10 PM
40 downloads a day?! That sure is impressive.

I don't suppose you have a Lightwave fileformat import ? :roll:
hehe, Just kidding.

Keep up the qood work though!

JeroenNL
26-01-2005, 09:28 PM
40 downloads a day?! That sure is impressive.

I don't suppose you have a Lightwave fileformat import ? :roll:
hehe, Just kidding.

Keep up the qood work though!

You might be kidding, but i'm not! ;) Do you have info about the lightwave fileformat? As DeleD supports a plugin-system, I might just write an import plugin for Lightwave files. Or better yet, YOU can write that importer. :D

Yeah, we're at 50 downloads a day on average this month. 40 last month and before that at a steady 30 for about 6 months. That's why we decided to create a PRO version as well. ;)

Btw, I see you're from the Netherlands as well. Glad to see more Dutch fellas are into graphics programming using pascal/delphi. 8)

JSoftware
26-01-2005, 09:39 PM
i'm impressed by the interface. quite intuitive!took me 2 minuttes to throw up some boxes and generate good looking lightmapped environments :D

this will be my weapon of choice for my rather bad modelling skills :wink:

thumbs up!

JeroenNL
26-01-2005, 10:12 PM
i'm impressed by the interface. quite intuitive!took me 2 minuttes to throw up some boxes and generate good looking lightmapped environments :D

this will be my weapon of choice for my rather bad modelling skills :wink:

thumbs up!

Thanks for the compliments. :) Actually, I'm pretty bad at modelling too and I needed a simple editor a few years ago. Couldn't find anything usefull so I decided to create one myself. Got a bit out of hand really... :roll: :wink:

Traveler
27-01-2005, 09:07 AM
You might be kidding, but i'm not! Do you have info about the lightwave fileformat? As DeleD supports a plugin-system, I might just write an import plugin for Lightwave files. Or better yet, YOU can write that importer.

I wish I could. The lightwave fileformat is far from easy. Plus, they (Newtek) have changed it quite a few times in the past versions, making it extra difficult to find up to date documentation.
In March 2003, Turbo had a post about a lightwave object viewer made with Delphi, but the website mentioned is now some kind of search engine. :(

JSoftware
28-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Just a thought about the editor:

when browsing around in the viewport i think it's weird that when you scroll downwards with the middle of the viewport straight down you don't move straight up. i think i've experienced a similar problem once when i forgot to convert my rotation to radians(i can't remember what to convert to.. degtorad i think it was) before rotating the viewport :idea: i don't know if you have heard for this before though

Jeppe

JeroenNL
29-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Just a thought about the editor:

when browsing around in the viewport i think it's weird that when you scroll downwards with the middle of the viewport straight down you don't move straight up. i don't know if you have heard for this before though

Jeppe

Thanks for your comments, keep them coming! :)

I'm not sure what you mean though, but I think you could take a look at the Options screen and select the "invert mouse-zoom" option. Then try again. Is that what you mean?

WILL
29-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Jeroen,

I'm wondering if you might be able to 'list' for everyone of what file formats DeleD 3D supports. (for importing and exporting) This may be of particular interest of those that may notice that their format of choice is supported by the program and may want to use it for that purpose. That and I didn't recall seeing any information about this on the project's site.

Oh and Great work! ;)

(BTW if you PM or email me or savage, when you release a new version, we'll be able to post a news item a quicker :))

JeroenNL
29-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi Will, thanks for your suggestion! :) We're currently developing a new website which will feature the info requested. But i'll list the supported fileformats here now too:

Export:
- DMF (easy to understand and well described DeleD ASCII format)
- X
- B3D

Import:
- OBJ
- 3DS
- B3D

In the making:
- X importer (partially working)
- DBO importer
- other fileformats as requested by users

Note that as soon as we have a good description of the DeleD plugin system, other people can start writing plugins as well. :)

P.s i'll PM you when we release a new version. ;)