PDA

View Full Version : Build your own games console..

M109uk
27-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Hey,

I was looking through my old favourites list and found a link to a site called 'XGameStation'.
They are building their own games console and giving a 'how to..' and building your own console.
It got me thinking, it would be great to have an Opensource pascal/delphi games console about... surly it cant be too hard, essentialy they are just like a PC?!

XGameStation: http://xgamestation.com

Crisp_N_Dry
27-01-2005, 04:36 PM
I posted about the XGS about a year ago. It was supposed to be released Jan 2004 but eventually got a release September 2004. I ordered one as soon as it was released but it seems so did everybody else and my order went through in the second batch. It took my order 4 months to ship and 10 days to arrive. I finally got it a couple weeks ago. Pretty badass stuff but it's gonna take a lot of figuring out. I know barely anything about assembly but I'm gonna have fun learning it. I'm looking forward to seeing what people (myself included) can do with it.

M109uk
28-01-2005, 09:52 PM
lol i know near nothing about assembly, except that i want to avoid it :) it would be great if it can support SDL and OpenGL then give MS a run for their money :twisted:

Its probably a far fetched thought though...

MichaelR
03-03-2005, 10:04 PM
I've got one of the XGS systems on order too (they dropped down to $199). I noticed today that they have a BASIC compiler in BETA, so there should be a way to get a Pascal compiler working too with a little work. I don't know much of anything about the hardware yet except that the RAM seems very limited, but maybe at least simple compiler with a nice game framework could be worked up.

I'd be interested in hearing others thoughts on the XGS system. I mainly got it to learn the hardware aspects, but the more I think about it, the software side is calling me too, but gotta get the hardware knowledge down first I'd imagine.

laters,
mike

savage
04-03-2005, 12:45 PM
The XGS system processor is a Ubicom SX52 8-BIT RISC. So you could probably have a talk to the FreePascal guys to see how big a change is reuired for it to generate 8-BIT RISC instructions. if you have a loook on http://www.freepascal.org/aboutus.html you will see that Carl Eric CodA"re did the RISC port, so if you send him an email he could probably tell you how hard/easy it would be.