PDA

View Full Version : What version of FreePascal compiler you are using?

Clootie
27-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Well, I would like to know how ofter people update their FPC compiler. FPC is constantly evolving and at least mine development was blocked by some bugs in different compiler versions removed or introduced :( in next releases. I still have issues with latest snapshot of 1.9.7, but thanks to FPC team major bugs are fixed quick enought (at least if you provide working patch to FPC core team :) ).

cairnswm
27-01-2005, 02:34 PM
My bandwidth even at work is too slow to download very often so I try to get a stable release of a product and use it ntil the next stable release comes out.

marcov
27-01-2005, 03:27 PM
My bandwidth even at work is too slow to download very often so I try to get a stable release of a product and use it ntil the next stable release comes out.

Hmm, that was the reason why I started tracking CVS, which is obviously also the option that gets my vote.

:twisted:

At the moment CVS building however is broken. Building from 1.9.6 or a recent 1.9.7 works, but from 1.0.10 seems to fail (and that is the recommended way)

Lightning
27-01-2005, 05:58 PM
I need Lazarus to work so i don't get into problems using the FPC CVS, however i use CVS with Lazarus and keep Lazarus up-to-date.
This way (using a "recommended" FPC version) and the CVS version of Lazarus i don't get into huge bugs.
This is my way of having a stable environment :)
Didn't you guys read on the Lazarus list that 1.9.7 is buggy ?

Clootie
28-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Didn't you guys read on the Lazarus list that 1.9.7 is buggy ? I'm not tracking any Lazarus lists but the bugs I've discovered in initial 1.9.7 snapshot are already fixed in yesterday 1.9.7 snapshot. And it's fixed some bugs in 1.9.6 release 8)

marcov
28-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Didn't you guys read on the Lazarus list that 1.9.7 is buggy ? I'm not tracking any Lazarus lists but the bugs I've discovered in initial 1.9.7 snapshot are already fixed in yesterday 1.9.7 snapshot. And it's fixed some bugs in 1.9.6 release 8)

Nobody said it isn't allowed to have multiple versions around. I've 1.0.10, 1.9.6 and 1.9.7 installed, and sometimes also "last stable 1.9.7" (stable for some purpose, like known to work with lazarus, if I'm using it)

{MSX}
28-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I think it's nice that we have more than ten votes..
Considering the number of abitual user of the forum, there is a great percentage that is using FPC instead or aside Delphi.
Probably another pool like "Are you using: FPC, Delphi/Kylix, Both" would be nice :P

Btw i almost completely switched to FPC lately.. I't more than a month that i don't open Kylix..

Robert Kosek
28-01-2005, 04:28 PM
I recently reinstalled 1.9.6, and started back into it again.

Anyone know how to load images in FPC using GL? No SDL, as I don't want to be bound by it ... but FPC lacks a "graphics" unit.

JSoftware
28-01-2005, 04:38 PM

Anyone know how to load images in FPC using GL? No SDL, as I don't want to be bound by it ... but FPC lacks a "graphics" unit.

Just grap a header type somewhere on the net. if you're talking about bmp's then i bet fpc has a windows unit which contains the bmp header

i don't use "graphics" to load images to opengl.. :?

Anonymous
30-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Just grap a header type somewhere on the net. if you're talking about bmp's then i bet fpc has a windows unit which contains the bmp header

i don't use "graphics" to load images to opengl.. :?

There is a whole images systems called fpimage. Not very performant, but good enough to load graphics.

There also is an OpenGL unit.

Clootie
30-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Can we return back to topic?.. :roll:

Lightning
02-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Can i change my vote ;)
There is a new beta installer made by Vincent for Lazarus that uses FPC 1.9.7, yes the Laz related bugs have been fixed, but still i'm not compiling FPC myself, just Laz.
Yep both FPC and Laz are better each day !
FPC 1.9.7 is becoming stable, soon we will have 2.0 yupeee :lol:

marcov
23-02-2005, 09:44 AM
Can i change my vote ;)
There is a new beta installer made by Vincent for Lazarus that uses FPC

/me wants to change to 1.9.8