PDA

View Full Version : Quake II Delphi

Incubii
29-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Hi guys i just thought id let you know about Quake II Delphi project if you didnt already know about it.

For a while now Quake II has been converted over to Pascal language and is going quite well, but we need more people to work on the bugs and start optimising the code!

http://www.sulaco.co.za/quake2/ - Quake II Delphi home page

The forums are not very active so i was hoping to pickup some talent from these forums and get something going!

Anyway i have a website with some converted and modified tutorials from C -> Pascal (i dont know C), but they all work :D, and well too. I will be converting to the article format on this site when i get a chance but for now go here to look at them

http://incubii.port5.com

Hope you enjoy!

incubii

WILL
29-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Very nice. I can't wait! :D

Not really the direction that you'd be taking us in your articles, but I wonder what it would take to modify the Delphi Quake 2 source into an 'Deus Ex' type engine like what was done with the Unreal engine...? :scratch:

It's an idea for a project, but I'd not hold you to an article for it. At least not now. ;)

Incubii
29-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Actually i had thought of doing that will. I spent almost a year coding a Deus Ex rip off in UT99. Quite fun. Got the hud going and all and started on the augs etc.

Id definatly say its possible considering just what was done with the tutorials, but there would be a lot of re-writing going on inside the code. Never the less if a bunch of people wanted to try it id be in on it else ill just start on my own :P.

I do like the idea how ever. Even just te inventory system for standard quake II would be cool

WILL
30-01-2005, 05:39 AM
I think an inventory system would be amazing! :) Having a very limited and small selection of only 10 or so weapons got boring after a while. being able to throw away and pickup new items would be great. Might even be a neat idea for a progressive tournoment mod where you can purchase new weapons and weapons upgrades, armour and medkits, etc...

After playing Deus Ex I got hooked on the game controls. Not whenever I go into my 'wayback machine' and play Quake 2 I always configure it to use the Arrow Keys and the mouse. Move the mouse to look around/turn, left click is fire, right click inventory. Wheel button(center button) for jumping, roll the wheel for changing weapons.Arrows left and right are strife and forward/back for just that. :) Only trouble I really have is the crouch, but Icould easily make that key the '/' key and problem solved.

If you ever get a cyberpunk style game project going, I want in on it. ;) I've always loved that genre. Mind you my 3D programming skills are nil. But I may end up learning quite a lot from it in the long run...

Incubii
30-01-2005, 10:50 AM
I am un-familiar with the cyberpunk game/novels/series (what ever, lol). If its got atmospher etc then it might be a good project but ittl take some planning and shit (boring :P). I would like to try the inventory system with quake 2 though, i think it would be a nice addition. Ive starte thinking how to do the hud identfication around objects in teh world, like Deus Ex did. Was easy with UT99 but id have to code the entire thing myself this time, no prebuilt functions o.O

WILL
01-02-2005, 03:38 AM
Best part about writting your own code though, is that it's yours and you need not cater to someone elses unless you choose to use it. ;)

Well at any rate these are great projects to take up. I look forward to them with baited breath. :D

Hmm... an off-side thought what kind of Network play does Quake 2 have? Is it up to date?

Incubii
01-02-2005, 07:14 AM
if u mean by network play, network code, then its still pretty damn rock solid. I can play on dialup on servers and its still pretty damn responsive for me. Could do with some revamping and stuff but then everything generally does in hind sight