PDA

View Full Version : HP Scientists Create New Computing Breakthrough!

WILL
05-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Just this month Hewlett Packard announced that its researchers have proven that a technology they invented could replace the transistor - the fundamental building block of computers for the last half century - leading to a new way to construct computers in the future.

This new way invented by HP Labs' Quantum Science Research is called the crossbar latch, which is capable of providing signal restoration and inversion required for general computing without the need for transistors. They state that it could result in computers becoming thousands of times faster than today! :D

"We are re-inventing the computer at the molecular scale," said Stan Williams, HP Senior Fellow and QSR director, and one of the authors of a paper published on 1st Feb, 2005 in Journal of Applied Physics. "The crossbar latch provides a key element needed for building a computer using nanometer-sized devices that are relatively inexpensive and easy to build."

It looks like we are now finally starting to see the implications of a new Nano-Age of technology. :)

For more information on the crossbar-latch technology vread the announcement off of HP's site:
Who Needs Transistors? HP Scientists Create New Computing Breakthrough at Molecular Scale ('http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2005/050201a.html')

{MSX}
05-02-2005, 09:28 AM
"We are re-inventing the computer at the molecular scale," said Stan Williams, HP Senior Fellow and QSR director, and one of the authors of a paper published on 1st Feb, 2005 in Journal of Applied Physics. "The crossbar latch provides a key element needed for building a computer using nanometer-sized devices that are relatively inexpensive and easy to build."

For more information on the crossbar-latch technology vread the announcement off of HP's site:
<a class='topicAuthor' href='http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2005/050201a.html'>Who Needs Transistors? HP Scientists Create New Computing Breakthrough at Molecular Scale</a>

Uuh, this is really an important news! if what they claim is true, it could be a revolution.

We are getting nearer and nearer to the technological singularity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity).. Should we be happy or scary ? :?:

WILL
05-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Don't know about you guys, but I'm excited about it! :D

Imagine all the computing problems we'd overcome. Those finite details we'd finally be able to add. The growing cooling issue. Faster = Hotter? Not with this. There was even a discovery of flexible plastic non-organic see-through circuitry(transistor technology)... that could be used for disposible and multi-purpose displays...

You thought those glass calculators were cool. Just image what our future will look like in about 10 years time from now.

Almindor
05-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I've watched an article in TV about nano-transistors made in Czech republic. They shown them and it seems the nano-transistors are smaller than nano-cables, it looked quite funny.

In any case I've seen this 1 or 2 years ago. I'm not sure how this falls into HP "invention" but something tells me they are not the 1st to get there.