PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to buy Borland....

savage
13-12-2002, 08:47 AM
According to this ( http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/021211/tech_rational_ibm_5.html ) Reuter's article, Microsoft may be buying Borland inorder to compete with IBM.

I personally this may be a bad idea as M$ will probably kill off some of Borland's products. On the other hand they may invest more money and resources into Borland.

Alimonster
13-12-2002, 09:09 AM
Some of the Slashbot commentary suggested that this would only happen if IBM bought Rational. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about this possibility, to be honest. If Microsoft decides to invest money towards the Delphi side of things (or some equivalent Object Pascal thing) they could end up with a killer product. The only problem with that, though, is that it is competing with Visual Basic, so they might decide to can it instead. Hope not!

Hey, who knows, they may even turn Delphi back over to Anders Hejlsberg again ;). Seriously, though, I'd only worry about it if it actually happens. Until then, it's just speculation.

Xorcist
13-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Screw that! If M$ buys out Borland I'm switching over to Free Pascal, using Bloodshed's DEV-Pascal IDE. Or better yet I'll write my own friggin' compiler and IDE/Visual Component suite based off Object Pascal. The last thing we need is Microsoft taking control of one of it's competitors products (especially one that directly competes with their own RAD programming language).

TheLion
13-12-2002, 11:22 PM
If Microsoft takes over Borland and kills off Delphi, we'll write our own Delphi compiler! :)

:oops: I have no idea how to do so, but we'll find some ppl who do :oops:

Alimonster
14-12-2002, 01:27 AM
If Microsoft takes over Borland and kills off Delphi, we'll write our own Delphi compiler! :)

:oops: I have no idea how to do so, but we'll find some ppl who do :oops:
www.freepascal.org :roll: