PDA

View Full Version : Just installed Linux

Useless Hacker
17-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Well, last Friday, I fitted a new harddisk, and installed Mandrake Linux 9.0! Finally I can give up on Windows... well not quite. Havn't got the modem to work yet, though I'm downloading the (hopefully correct) drivers. A couple of other problems I've had are firstly that the monitor alignment has to be adjusted when I switch from windows to Linux, and secondly, if I attempt to access the DVD-ROM drive when it is empty, the 'read' light comes on permanently and the system almost freezes, which is not good. This doesn't happen with the CD-RW and floppy drives however. Apart from that it's fine.

Armand
18-12-2002, 02:56 AM
I have a tri boot both at work and at home.

Windows 98 se
Windows 2000
Linux Debain

I'm thinking of dropping the 98. I just dont use it overly much anymore.

I'm curious. Why did you choose mandrake?
I havn't played with that distro.

Armand

Useless Hacker
18-12-2002, 12:50 PM
I'm curious. Why did you choose mandrake?
I havn't played with that distro.
Mainly because it came on the PC Plus (http://www.pcplus.co.uk) DVD from the January 2003 issue (Why are computer magasines always a month or two ahead of everybody else?). Also, I read that Mandrake and SuSE are the easiest disros to install.

I got the modem driver downloaded and installed and I think it's OK, but I haven't had time to test it yet.

Useless Hacker
18-12-2002, 12:53 PM
I was going to download an updated GeForce 4 driver, but there seem to be three versions: UP, SMP and Enterprise. Anyone know what the difference is and which I probably have?

Useless Hacker
18-12-2002, 09:40 PM
I am now officially viewing this site in Linux!!

Useless Hacker
18-12-2002, 10:03 PM
Here's (http://www.wtrim.freeserve.co.uk/dgdev.png) a screenshot.

TheLion
18-12-2002, 11:08 PM
Ahhhhh good old KDE! :)

Armand
19-12-2002, 04:26 AM
I read that Mandrake and SuSE are the easiest disros to install.

I've heard that as well but It can be a bit fiddly to keep going smothly.

I like Debian because of Apt-get.
Wonderful little package manager.

my tipical sinaro is.
try to run something.
the something says you need blah.
apt-get install blah
something will now run. 8)

you can also upgrade easly by useing apt-get update.
It also most of the time gets the dependincies right.

But eh. Thats just my thoughts.

{Appolgies for the lack of coherance. Sat up _Way_ to late codeing a map editor last night. (Note I need a sleepy Emoticon)}

Karaman
17-02-2003, 05:15 PM
I am using WinXP and Slackware :)
perfect combination :)

LP
19-02-2003, 06:57 AM
I and Linux played football, round called "Installation Process". Linux RedHat 7.3. The results were: 1:11 (failed 11 times, could install only 1) Installing... in the middle of install, super crash! another install... I change to Disc 2, system lock up... third install, crash in configuration screen... etc. hopefully, my football game was more "successful" with Mandrake - it was only 2:3. I've also played with Linux 7.0 - don't remember the score back then :wink: I also installed once Solaris, I won that game at 1:0 :D anyway, although Linux is closer to the heart and I have to use it from time to time, its interfaces are and will be still very far from those in Windoze :( they'll also have a lot of things to improve - installation (fix the damn bugs!), Library-Hell, and include the #&%*^#@ antialiased font support!