PDA

View Full Version : MicroSoft Paint - AntiAliasing

cairnswm
14-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Not sure thats the right term but in MS Paint if you resize the picture the edges get blurred into the background.

But tonight by accident I found a solution....

It doesn't do it to cut pieces of the picture - so if you go select all and then while a selection is available you choose Image/Stretch the selected piece will be smaller and with sharp edges.

Cool - one of my permanent headaches sorted out.

{MSX}
14-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Not sure thats the right term but in MS Paint if you resize the picture the edges get blurred into the background.

But tonight by accident I found a solution....

It doesn't do it to cut pieces of the picture - so if you go select all and then while a selection is available you choose Image/Stretch the selected piece will be smaller and with sharp edges.

Cool - one of my permanent headaches sorted out.

Don't tell me you're drawing with pain(t) :P
Do yourself a favour and use something else..
(The Gimp rules :))

WILL
15-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Actaully some of the best pixel artists only use something as simple as Paint. It's crazy, but true. In fact it's better than using such high-powered applications such as Photoshop, Paintshop and GIMP (not so sure here, since I've only used it a select few times) simply because the tool tries to do too much for you often enough and some of the basic features are left out because the designers assume other uses.

"2 'Will's agree... MS Paint is better." ;) <insert cheesy chime sound effect>

Specis
15-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Ive noticed the same thing with paintshop etc :)

They try to cleanup your image for you when you really want that crisp single pixel line.

Might sound like a pimp for a product here, but i was lead tester for a pixel artwork program called ProPixel 2d and more commonly titled ProPixel Plus on the some magazines. and this was designed from the ground up to combat this effect :)

cairnswm
15-03-2005, 05:02 AM
I dont say that MS Paint is better than the others. I do however think that it is a lot easier to use than the others. I use it to resize images a lot and I often use it to clean up images to the way I want them.

I've got the Gimp installed and quite honestly find it too confusing to use. :(

Crisp_N_Dry
15-03-2005, 07:29 PM
I personally use Pro Motion. It cost me $30 but is well worth it if you want to really get into pixel art. It is aimed directly at pixel artists and many professional dev studios use it for their 2D art. Easily the best tool for pixel art if you're willing to pay. Linkage:=http://www.thegamecreators.com/?f=promotion

Sly
15-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Ive noticed the same thing with paintshop etc :)

They try to cleanup your image for you when you really want that crisp single pixel line.
This is when you use the "Resize type" option in the Resize dialog. From the Paintshop Pro help file:

In the Resize Type box, select the type of resizing for Paint Shop Pro to apply. There are four choices&#58;

A¬? Smart size, where Paint Shop Pro chooses the best algorithm based on the current image characteristics.

A¬? Bicubic resample, which uses a process called interpolation to minimize the raggedness normally associated with expanding an image. As applied here, interpolation smoothes out rough spots by estimating how the "missing" pixels should appear, and then filling them with the appropriate colour. It produces better results than the Pixel resize method with photo-realistic images and with images that are irregular or complex. Use Bicubic resample when enlarging an image.

A¬? Bilinear resample, which reduces the size of an image by applying a similar method as Bicubic resample. Use it when reducing photo-realistic images and images that are irregular or complex.

A¬? Pixel Resize, where Paint Shop Pro duplicates or removes pixels as necessary to achieve the selected width and height of an image. It produces better results than the resampling methods when used with hard-edged images.

K4Z
16-03-2005, 03:34 AM
I use Paint only if I need to quickly do some pixel art, or a quick convert from jpeg to bitmap. Paint's the last program I'd use to resize an image, the quality drops soo bad.

Sly
16-03-2005, 03:45 AM
I am going to give The Gimp 2.0 a go because the alpha channel support in Paint Shop Pro is really lacking. I hope the alpha channel support in The Gimp 2.0 is better, despite my hatred for the horrible GTK interface.

{MSX}
16-03-2005, 07:56 AM
I am going to give The Gimp 2.0 a go because the alpha channel support in Paint Shop Pro is really lacking. I hope the alpha channel support in The Gimp 2.0 is better, despite my hatred for the horrible GTK interface.

Alpha channel support is really complete. You can do about anything to it.
Well gimp should be using GTK2.. i don't know how it looks on windows, but on linux it's really fine.

Ah if you need help with Gimp you can ask me :)

heretic_angel
05-09-2006, 02:14 PM
ello.. does everybody here know the algorithms used in MS Paint, particularly object handling? tnx

jdarling
05-09-2006, 04:55 PM
MS Paint utilizes GDI and GDI+ algos witch are documented in different places. Basically a nearest filter.

jasonf
22-09-2006, 12:38 PM
More often than not, I create graphics in XaraX and export to the pixel format I need. It handles transparency layers of PNG's really well.

For crisp lines, I'm not as sure.. perhaps fiddling with its anti-aliasing features might help...

Not an answer to the original question I know, but a different perspective perhaps.