PDA

View Full Version : Article Editor Formatting Guidelines and List of Bugs

WILL
16-03-2005, 01:05 AM
This mainly pertains to the Writters and the Editor, but here is THE current list of Guidelines and assorted bugs that you should pay attention to as it will make or break weither your articles will make the Proof-reader's and Editor's cut.

Current Article Editor Formatting Guidelines and List of Bugs:

- <strike>DON'T place an HTML tag right at the start of any page. When the page tries to display (in Preview mode or while viewing at all) it causes the parser for some unknown reason to go into an infanite loop and will stall the page. - Common Error</strike>

- DON'T over use carrage returns where not absolutely required for formatting in 'Text & HTML Mode'. In this mode ALL carrage returns are parsed and changed into <BR> HTML tags. As you may have noticed in your news posts when you add a list, it shows the items with a strange space in between each item. Thats because there is a 'carrage return' character stored between each item on the list so... it'll parse this and place the BR tag where you will not want it, leaving you with an undesired formatting. I suggest either using 'HTML Only Mode' instead or only using a carrage return where you want it to place an extra <BR> tag. - Common Error

- DON'T use a TEXTAREA block! Right now, the article editor has no way for supporting this without it causing problems with saved segments of your code. You will lose anything beyond where you used the textarea in your saved page.

- <strike>DON'T use and BBCode tags. This unfortunately includes the useful pascal, code, color and img tags. Smilies ARE supported however.</strike>

- DO trust the parser to do it's job with the HTML tags. Try to use the 'toolbar-type' Buttons offered above. There has not been too many problems with this that I have noticed, but if there is a great deal of micro-managing of tags it might bring unhappy results to your work due to parsing functionality. But don't let that stop you from trying to fix some formatting issues with your masterpeices. ;)

- DO save before you Preview or change pages. These options will NOT save your current page for you. You will lose your newly added content to that page. - Common Error

- AVOID placing text emidiately 1 carrage return under the [/pascal] tag. This may cause your text placed there to turn black instead of the intended color of your theme.

Incubii
16-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Theres definatly an art form to using the article editor.

I for one welcome our new article editor overlords

WILL
12-09-2005, 02:07 AM
I have updated the Article Editor Guide to match with the more current parser it now uses.

Many bugs are fixed and missing features are put in. More work to follow shortly, but for the most part authors will be most pleased with it! ;)

WILL
07-04-2009, 08:01 PM
This has gone obsolete so I demoted it. xx(