PDA

View Full Version : Ogg with directPlay?

Firlefanz
21-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Hello,

I am one of the members of Delphi Sanctuary, we use the 'Omega' engine with Delphi. We already have mp3 support, but I would like to have ogg supported, too.

So can anybody tell me how to use ogg vorbis with DirectX/Directplay?

Are there any samples or tutorials?

Thanks a lot!

Firle

Sly
21-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Well, you're not going to have much luck using OGG with DirectPlay, since that is the networking component of DirectX. :D

ftp://delphi-jedi.org/api/OggVorbis.zip
A Delphi conversion of the Ogg Vorbis headers along with the compiled DLLs and sample player code.

Firlefanz
21-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Hello Sly,

I meant of course directSound not directPlay. :wink:

thanks for the link, unfortunately this is the same open source player I already found myself. I already tried to include the code for loading and playing into my game, but it did not work. I don't understand much of it.

But perhaps there are problems with the streaming or something? In my game there are also wavs for soundfx, and I wanted to use ogg for music only. After I included the source, I couldn't hear anything anymore, no sound and no music and got some errors.

Did you try it with a directx project? I can compile and run the player and it works fine, but not in my project.

I think Bass uses Ogg, but it is not free. But if they can do it, there must be a possibillty.

Firle

Sly
21-03-2005, 12:00 PM
I haven't tried coding an OGG player myself, since I usually use FMOD for any sound and music requirements I have and it supports OGG.

Firlefanz
21-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info.

Is FMod free even for commercial games and does it use DirectX?

PS: I just read the other topic about FMod, it is not free for commercial purposes. So I cannot use it, too bad.

Firle