PDA

View Full Version : Run-A-War

cairnswm
21-03-2005, 10:07 AM
This is a thread for feedback on my Run-A-War entry for PGD Dogfight Contest.

I will try get a Postmortem up on my development experience as soon as possible.

I will also get a web page on my site up that lists the game versions and any expansions I create. (I have 6 new characters already - Princess, Prince, Dwarf, Troll and Swamp Monster).

I have also taken a nice photo of my three kids sitting in a row all playing the game :) - Going to be put on my wall with the photo of me and the only PC title I have had published.

Please put any suggestions and bug reports into this thread.

Huehnerschaender
21-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Hi William,

while playing your entry (I did'nt play very long because of lack of time) I recognized that somehow the weapons seem to make no effect when hitting the enemy. I had to shoot/throw the enemy 10 or 20 times until I saw his health drowning... Is it correct this way?

Greetings,
Dirk

cairnswm
22-03-2005, 04:30 AM
Yes it is correct. Sometimes the enemy armor stops the attack and at other times the amount of damage dealt does not make a change on the health meter.

For example - A knight has a health of 90 and an Armor of 5. An arrow does 5 damage if it gets through the armor. - so it will typically take three hits before you see a change in health.

A knife does even less damage

Paulius
22-03-2005, 08:54 PM
In a local game the first player has a major advantage, because the camera is following him. And the urge to get the second player offscreen and in to a blind drowning death is all too tempting :twisted: A split screen mode would be more fare I think.

cairnswm
23-03-2005, 05:37 AM
I agree. Unfortunatly time didnt allow for it. My current plan is to have the camera follow exactly the middle point between the characters. (Also maybe not allow characters to move further than (X) away from each other.

I have two small things to sort out then Release 2 will be available. I am turing the game into a team adventure game fighting enemy monsters (Skeletons and Zombies and things). I have some networking issues as well as some AI issues to sort out. (Expect is in about 2 weeks time).

PS. Run-A-War and S2DL now have an AI module using DWSII.

cairnswm
03-04-2005, 03:07 AM
Run A war is still being developed

Changes already done since the competition:
- System Crashes have been fixed.
- AI system Added - allows playing against the PC (Not great yet but all in scripts)
- Fixed an animation issue for some characters
- Some network issues fixed (Client can cancel a connect)

Lots of new Characters:
Troll, Princess, Prince, Dwarf, 2 Dinosaurs etc

I am still busy with the first expansion map, lots of new obstructions etc, Maps just take so long to make (about 8 hours).

I am busy adding sound, I may get a new version released later today.

And the future:
- I need to fix some netowrk issues then can release a new version that allows team play. I want to make it into an adventure game where as a team you fight monsters and collect treasure.
- More maps - sorely needed - I want to make expansion packs where you get Characters and Maps to play with
- I want to add the magic that I couldn't add during the competition.

cairnswm
03-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Version 1.1 is on my web site at:
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/dgdev/runawarv1-1.zip

(Savage - can this be linked to my entry on the Competition page?)

Sound has been added - it doesn't always work perfectly but I need to investigate SDL_mixer a bit more to fix it.

savage
27-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Hi William, could you post what you consider a list of feature of your game please. I need it for the flipcode Image of the day.

Also mention any technologyies/modeling tools used in making the game.

Thanks

cairnswm
28-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Run-A-War is Fast, action packed, fantasy combat featuring:
6 Different Fantasy Characters
2 Different Scenario Maps
8 different Weapons
Various Armor, Pickups and Potions
Single Player against the Computer or 2 player networking
Various Expansion packs can be added
Create AI done using Delhi Web Scripting

Done in Delphi using JEDI-SDL. Graphics from Reiner Prokien done in TrueSpace and landscapes done using Vue Esprit 3 Lite.

savage
28-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Thanks William, when will the webpage for the game be up?

cairnswm
28-04-2005, 11:18 AM
The Run-A-War home page is :) :
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/public.asp?inc=Articles&ArtID=3

Currently not much there but I'll keep it up to date as time goes on.