PDA

View Full Version : splitting a mesh in different parts

marmin
26-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi,

I've built a racetrack, but in order to perform frustum culling, LOD, etc. it needs to be 'patched' in several sections. How would one go about this?
I how many sections should I divide the mesh, should I keep this in one Vertex buffer or not? Do I 'split' the meshes in the 3d model application or at run-time?
thanks for any tips.

noeska
27-03-2005, 08:19 AM
try researching octrees.

Sly
29-03-2005, 09:34 AM
You can split the mesh at whatever point in your process you want. Most developers do the splitting as a pre-processing step. For example, at Krome Studios we have an exporter for 3DS Max and Maya that can take a level mesh and split it into cells (the artists call this "gridding" the mesh). The artists specify the size of each cell after trying different sizes and what effect they have on game speed. The frustum culling process in the game can then easily cull cells at render time.

marmin
29-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for tips!

Yeah, I decided to just 'grid' the mesh. I used a fixed -size grid for this purpose and 'fed' the grid the mesh. It works like 95% .There are some 'bad' vertices rendered; but, this is also because the mesh itself was not modeled so good. :?

I kept the mesh in 1 vertex buffer, so that's OK.

GOd, now I have to go into frustum culling. I hate that.
Anyyone has any real fast f.c. routines he/she wants to share? :evil: :twisted: