PDA

View Full Version : 2D components that use 3D - Advice Please

Gadget
30-03-2005, 09:09 PM
I am looking at replacing my own engine with a 3D one, one that uses quads to draw bitmaps etc.

I know there are several sets of components out there, but has anyone had experience writting a 2D game using any of them and can you recommend one above another for both fps and ease of use etc?

Using DirectDraw is just proving too slow. For simple games it's fine, but when you have 200+ creatures on screen at 1024 x 768 and add in some effects using alpha blending etc it just hogs the CPU and GFX card. I am sure if I gut the DDraw stuff and replace it with a good 3D engine the FPS should be significantly improved.

I have played around with DelphiX (hardware) but it doesn't seem to use Direct3D to draw the bitmaps? Am I right in thinking that?

Sly
30-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Using a 3D-based 2D library will also give you the ability to do alpha-blending, rotation, scaling at very little cost as well.

Any of the available libraries should suit your requirements. For a list oif DirectX-based libraries, take a look at http://turbo.gamedev.net/wrappers.asp

cairnswm
31-03-2005, 04:23 AM
I've switched to SDL and while not 3D driven is definitly better than DelphiX.

I have not tried to use the OpenGL capabilities of SDL but this might be what you are looking for.

Traveler
31-03-2005, 08:22 AM
I've been using Omega for the PGD compo and it worked quite good. I'm not that familiar with other components sets (save Delphix) so I can't tell exactly if there are any better options.

Firlefanz
31-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi!

@Traveler:It's very nice to hear you tried Omega :D

I can also recommend Omega, it is very nice and pretty fast and easy to learn, and we have some nice samples :wink:

I came to Omega because I was using DelphiX before and Omega is very easy like DelphiX.

Firle

Firlefanz
31-03-2005, 12:46 PM
@Traveler:

Which Entry did you make with Omega? I'd like to see it very much. :D
And I tried to download 'Sodoma lite' but the link is broken.

Firle