PDA

View Full Version : Delphi 2005 Personal Edition on DVD of current 'PC Magazin'-

Sascha Willems
04-04-2005, 11:06 AM
This is mostly one for the fellow german Delphi-coders out there :
The german IT-magazine PC Magazin includes the Personal Edition of Delphi 2005 on it's DVD in the current issue (5/2005). And if your local store does not have this magazine, you can still order a copy here ('http://www.wekashop.de/index.php?art=485&reihe=1&preihe=1&seite=&kid=&src=pcmag').

Since the magazine only cots 7?¢,¬¨ with the DVD this is the cheapest opportunity to get your hands on Borland's newest IDE. Although the PE is missing some features over the other versions you shouldn't miss this one (I just bought it this morning and as of now I look into D2005 PE to find out how good/bad it really is).

savage
04-04-2005, 11:39 AM
Please make sure that you have applied Update/Service Pack 2 to your copy of Delphi 2005, as this fixes quite a few bugs that made it into the initial release.

TheLion
04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Is that the English version or the German version that is included on that DVD ?

tux
04-04-2005, 12:36 PM
what ever happened to beeing allowed to download the personal edition from the site? ive got my license key but no download :lol:

TheLion
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
They changed their minds! ;) You can only obtain D2005PE through those CD/DVDs delivered with magazines... :)

Sascha Willems
04-04-2005, 03:26 PM
As far as I can see (there was no option) it's german only. But if you have been working (like me) with a professional/enterprise version you don't really want to switch to the PE. It's not the missing components, but they removed the CodeExplorer and the possibility to jump between/directly to the declarations (CTRL+...). Missing those two features really hurts the workflow, so I think I'll stay with my D7 Enterprise. The only positive things about the PE are that it starts rather fast and that it does not need much memory when running.

And as for patches :
I looked into the installation directory and it seems that this version already comes with the service pack 1 preinstalled. SP 2 only seems (at least Borland's description tells it) for the ither version (architect, etc.)

marmin
04-04-2005, 07:40 PM
I've recently found a Delphi 6 Personal Edition copy (old) on the net..
a shame that I don't use it anymore because I use Lazarus now.
But Delphi, especially versions 2-6 are superb.
Without Delphi, Pascal would be forgotten now. Instead, Pascal programming is coming to live again, also thanks to the efforts of the Free Pascal team of course.
(I still have the original version Delphi 2 - a collectors item)...
:)

Sly
04-04-2005, 10:09 PM
D2005PE will also appear on next month's PC Pro (UK) magazine.

The Personal versions of Delphi have always been missing certain IDE features, such as jumping between method declaration and definition, class completion, etc.

Even with Update #2, D2005 is still not as stable as older versions of Delphi. Just have a browse through borland.public.delphi.non-technical for some comments on D2005.

MikeS
04-04-2005, 11:54 PM
I've recently found a Delphi 6 Personal Edition copy (old) on the net..

Is it a legit copy? If so, link me! I can never find these free copies of Delphi, and have always wanted to use it rather than FF(not that FF is bad).

8)

marmin
05-04-2005, 01:38 AM
It was a 100 % legit Delphi Personal Edition. But it's gone now.
I know that Delhi is magical to people; this was the case from version 1-5.
Lazarus/free pascal is way, way better and faster. And cross-platform. Use Lazarus instead, believe me, i was a Delphi user for years.

WILL
05-04-2005, 05:10 AM
MikeS: What is FF? I can't think of what it could be...

I've always thought of 7 to be a nice jump from 5. Never used 6 to be honest.

savage: Did we post any news for Update 2? :) I don't think we did... :lol: Ok so we miss stuff... sue us. ;)

Almindor
05-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I've tried only the Trial edition(with all it's initial bugs) so please don't flame me.

D2005 is EXTREMELY bloated and I doubt the fact that they released some patches is going to change that. The thing was loading longer than Eclipse on my machine and tha't something to say. I crashed in 5 times in the one month's trial. Working with it was like trying to push a wagon uphill.
It ate some 200 megs of RAM and for what? Perhaps the MDI is costy :)

For me Delphi 6/7 were the winners. After that it got only worse.

After trying 2005 I returned to my 1 second starting, 15 megs in RAM Lazarus(with all it's bugs :) )

savage
05-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Delphi 2005's Update Pack 2 fixes quite a few issues, one of which is the start-up time, which is considerably faster than the initial release.
Admittedly it is not as quick Lazarus, but then this IDE does allow you to target, Win32, Delphi .NET and C# .NET.

NoshBar
13-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, after a little bit of searching on Google, I came up with this:
http://www.borland.pl/downloads/delphi6personal/Delphi6Personal.exe

I'm not sure whether English is a supported language, but -hey-, it's worth a shot...

I also had a look at the coverdisk of the May PC Pro magazine, and no mention of Delphi on the cover anywhere, so maybe next month, or maybe they've just not mentioned it on the cover...

And Lazarus is great, has a few issues which I'd love to see fixed, but seeing as I'm considering getting a Mac Mini, I may just be changing over despite those problems...

JSoftware
13-04-2005, 02:28 PM
it's english!

the installer and all the contained files are in english..

marmin
14-04-2005, 11:25 PM
And Lazarus is great, has a few issues which I'd love to see fixed, but seeing as I'm considering getting a Mac Mini, I may just be changing over despite those problems...

If you're not afraid of some nasty bugs (wich will be resolved in time, i hope), Lazarus is quite nice. Free Pascal, the 'engine' , is Fast.. I love it. I use it.. the GUI is also very good.