PDA

View Full Version : One Button game dev contest

cairnswm
12-04-2005, 07:24 PM
Remakes.org is running a non remake contest.

Write a game that only uses one button - one - no more than one...

http://www.retroremakes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=35

Actually is also for a good cause.

savage
12-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Sounds like a very cool idea for a competition.

{MSX}
12-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes, very good :P It will probably produce a lot of variety in entries.

Btw if any of you were to enter the competitions, what idea will you use ?
I really don't know.. just one key :P What can you do with it ? :P

tux
12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
*if* i were to enter (i probably wont) it would be something to do with aiming and shooting.

that way you can just have a moving thing for the aim, you press it, then press it again for power. that basic consept can be used in many things :)

Sly
12-04-2005, 10:54 PM
If you get the chance, play WarioWare on the GBA. About 200 minigames, most of them lasting a few seconds each and just require one button.

P.S. WarioWare is totally addictive too! :D

cairnswm
13-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Things to do with a button (key)

Press and Release
Press and Hold - release when required
Press and release quickly

My ideas are:
1. Hordes of enemy soldiers pouring over the horizon, a gun rotates from right to left, pressing the button fires the gun in whichever direction it is currently facing.
2. Base ball - pitching, press the key down for how hard an inaccurate you want the throw to be. Hitting, press the key when the ball is near enough to hit, hold and release to define how hard to hit - direction is decided by how close the ball is to you when you hit it.
3. Puttputt - hold down to define how hard to hit the ball.

I'm going with option 1 - least requirements for models (thanks Reiner) and I can use Vue d'Esprit for the landscapes.

Menus will work on a cycling process, a few seconds per menu option in sequence, press key to select option.

jasonf
13-04-2005, 12:37 PM
A Dance style game could be done using a single button...

Press when the blob hits the marker point...

Basically, it's gonna be a reactions game....

Can it be one button and mouse movement? :wink:

Traveler
13-04-2005, 01:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken those great flash games featuring the yeti can be played with just one button.

cairnswm
14-04-2005, 04:16 AM
May not be one button and mouse. There can be only one.

Problem with making it a reactions only game is that these are basically games designed for people with disabilities - the one suggestion was to have difficulty levels from VERY EASY to hard.

{MSX}
14-04-2005, 06:44 AM
If I'm not mistaken those great flash games featuring the yeti can be played with just one button.

Yeah, that would be a great design..