PDA

View Full Version : The first PC-Bot, 914 ...soon!

WILL
06-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Well, on the 10th of May, White Box Robotics will be releasing the first official, commercial 'PC-Bot' in the history! It is called the 914 which has been dubbed the first of the 9 series PC-Bots to be put out into the market for anyone that wants one.

Whats it do? Well... what can you make you custom-built home PC do? Now, add wheels and a head with a camera, a whole bunch of sensors and a lot more drive slots for even more peripherals. Now.. rethink the PC in this form... think robot... NOW what can you make your PC-BOT do?

I as a robotics enthusiast, am rather excited about this. It's really a monumental even in history. It's like when Steve Jobs started selling the first home computer. Or the first standard form factor case design that allowed you to upgrade and add to your system on your own.

I hope this will be just as successful! :D

Sly
06-05-2005, 03:38 AM
So how big are the batteries for this thing? Does it tow them in a trailer? Or does it just use a really long extension cable?

I have enough problem with cable tangle behind my stationary PC. What would happen when the thing starts moving? It's going to tie everything up in knots. :)

If it's anything like a modern PC, it could even use all the cooling fans to provide momentum. :D

WILL
06-05-2005, 03:54 AM
Oh silly me, I forgot to give you guys the URL. http://www.whiteboxrobotics.com/

Umm... I believe they use the best materials for it. Lithium-Ion is it? Thats actaully an excellent question. I imagine a recharging station would be one of the next things for us to see from these guys.

I personally would like to see other companies jumpping onto this new concept and designing cool 2.25 and 3.5 inch sized devices that you could hook up to the 912.

I have a super cool idea for a 3 fingered arm. Something you'd see out of StarWars or something... No, not R2's... :P A bit more 'alien-istic' than that.

WILL
06-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Oops! I just got an email from the mailing list I joinned to keep up-to-date with the project's pregress. Apparently they are releasing a NEW model. The 914! The 912 was apparently a prototype model that I guess they did not give away.

914 will be much mor inproved, battery, casing, better wheels on the drive system, etc...

BTW, would anyone like me to make a news post of this when it comes out? It more or less is another platform for Pascal related projects to be ran off of. So it is relivent in ways...