PDA

View Full Version : Did you guys know...

WILL
06-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Did you guys know that World Of Warcraft uses FMOD? Says it right on the website!

{MSX}
07-05-2005, 07:24 AM
i'm not surprised by it.. i've used FMOD some time ago and it's really the best audio library around..
If only it was open source :P

Sly
08-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Blizzard have licensed FMOD for all their games now. That's a real coup for the FMOD guys.

WILL
09-05-2005, 03:13 AM
Hmm... indeed. But doesn't Blizzard use packaged MP3 or OGG instead of modules for their game music?

Sly
09-05-2005, 03:16 AM
I believe they would be MP3, but they are encrypted within the MPQ files.

WILL
09-05-2005, 03:31 AM
Ah yes the MPQ files... thats what I meant by 'packed'.

Well it is just interesting that they would use FMOD, normally a MOD playback engine, for MP3. I guess that tells you something about the quality of the API? Low footprint? Minimum memory/CPU consumption? Quality of playback?

Sly
09-05-2005, 03:49 AM
MOD playback is now a minor part of the FMOD functionality. It's still important, but it is now just a small part of a very large feature set. Stream support (MP3, OGG, WMA, etc) is now a large part of the functionality that is used. For a DLL that sits around 150-160KB, it is a very powerful and very efficient sound and music playback library. FMOD4 (in public beta now) is even more powerful, but just as efficient. Quality of playback is very high as well.

sardaukar
28-08-2005, 02:57 PM
I have been shopping around openal, directsound and last tried fmod and its a blast. However, If someone would care to write a source manager for openal to enable more "plug and play" then it would be equaly nice for my uses. however, i just want 3d sounds, not the hazzle and it took me 1 hour to get the functionality from fmod that couldnt get going from a few days work with openal. I'm no coder shark, so abstraction is nice ;)

Not to say the least, the documentation for fmod and the support is HUGE...

Imp5
13-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Does anybody use FMOD in cross-platform projects?
(I mean PC/PS2/XBOX etc...)