PDA

View Full Version : FROOGZ test needed

Momor
05-01-2003, 09:33 PM
Greetings,

I've just finished the v0.90 of my Delphi voxel FPS called Froogz.

I'd be interested if you could test it and tell me if it is crash-free on your system.

If possible, please test the software renderer and the OpenGL one if your 3D card is OpenGL hardware enabled.

The self-installing EXE is there (1.44 Mb): http://froogz.free.fr/FroogzSetupv0.90.exe

Thanks for your time,
Momor.

TheLion
05-01-2003, 10:12 PM
I'll test it for you first thing in the morning! ;)

Alimonster
05-01-2003, 10:15 PM
It worked fine over here - Athlon 1.1, 512Megs, Geforce2 MX 400, Windows ME. The only downside was that I couldn't get the fullscreen mode working :?, and playing it at 320x200 with a desktop res of 1152x864 is kinda tricky :wink:. How do you get fullscreen mode working?

Great music btw, and that penguin is so cute!

Momor
06-01-2003, 05:40 AM
Many thanks for your testing !

Sorry there are 2 undocumented commands:

ALT+Enter for fullscreen mode
Pause key for Pause

Also, you can resize the rendering window at any time (while not in fullscreen mode).

Shadowfax
25-01-2003, 06:11 AM
has a rope been implemented yet? (you know me already :twisted: ... well.. you should). And has the bug been fixed that makes it crash every 1/2 a second?

Momor
02-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Shadow, I don't understand which kind of crash you are talking about.

Could you please be more explicit ? Also, e-mail me the froogz.log file if it crashes on your system.

About the rope, it is not planed for now (but perhaps in the future via scripting)

TheLion
02-02-2003, 12:58 PM
What is a rope ?

/me looks puzzled like a nOOb :)

EDIT : I know what a rope mean in the English language, but what is it in game development terms ??? :roll:

Momor
02-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi Lion, :wink:

The rope refers to the original Liero game: the worms could use a rope like a grapple to climb & avoid missiles.

TheLion
03-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Hey Momor! :wink:
Oh like that... ic, I'm not familiar with the official liero game! :)
Thanks for the information :D

Ultra
03-02-2003, 11:46 PM
When I started up the game I get *alot* of error messages saying:
"Division par zA"ro en virgule flottante." However after holding down Enter and zapping through all those messages I was able to run the game with OpenGL turned on without anymore problems.

System:
800 MHz Pentium 3
Win98
256 MB RAM
nVidia TNT 2 Model 64

ps: cool game :wink:

Momor
05-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Ultra,

Can you please try again with sound disabled ?

Also if the crash still occur, please send me the FROOGZ.log file.

Regards,
Momor.

Xorcist
05-02-2003, 09:40 PM
First off, gotta say I love the title screen. The music and animated background remind me of the tags hackers used to put on deprotected games and roms. Very cool.

As for the game, it ran fine with the OpenGL driver, though in fullscreen there were some collision issues. I kept falling into the floor, rather than landing on top of it (so though I was on the ground level, I couldn't see the floor, just black).

The Software driver worked okay too, up until I selected DirectSound. Then the game would start (with music), give a division error, then display the window, and then lockup. At which point only the X or ALT-F4 would close it (ESC didn't work).

Note that the generated logfiles for OpenGL/DirectSound and Software/DirectSound are exactly the same.

Xorcist
05-02-2003, 09:42 PM
Note: You might want to add a registry entry to include uninstalling the program from the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

Momor
05-02-2003, 10:03 PM
Many thanks Xorcist for the testing.

I didn't know this title screen has a retro looking, but I'm very happy of it ! Programmer art :lol:

Also, about the crashes, it really looks like FMOD issues. This is not the first time I get these kind of errors (I had the same crashes in my Volcano game), so that's why I did completly externalize the sound configuration (which I'm generaly too lazy to do :oops: ).

About the unsinstall reg key, I'm trying my best to put no registry key in my games, just because I find the registry too critical to pollute it with my software. I've remarked that the more the registry is filled, the slower my computer starts ...

Ultra
06-02-2003, 12:21 AM
It doesn't matter which sound mode I choose I still get the errors. However, if I choose Software everything seems to be just fine.

One other thing I just noticed is that when I use OpenGL the first time I enter the game the colors are messed up. If I press escape and go to the game menu and then once again enter everything seems to work fine.

I'll try to send you the content of my FROOGZ.log file to you via private messages (if I get it to work, I haven't tried it before :wink: ).

Momor
06-02-2003, 07:18 AM
Greetings,

Many thanks for the log file. You are right, there is no sound issue in your system as the log file shows it.

Can you please try another OpenGL game/application ? I'm wondering if your OpenGL drivers are not making trouble.

Ultra
07-02-2003, 01:26 PM
It might very well be my OpenGL drivers that are crazy. Some games, like Max Payne and Jedi Knigh II, works fine :D while others, like Diablo II and Ground control, seems to have some issues. :(

Please note that I don't know if these games use OpenGL or Direct3D or both or none.