PDA

View Full Version : Borland wants your opinion on Delphi!

Sascha Willems
13-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Borland has just put up a poll concerning Delphi itself, what you think of it, how you like it and (the most important) how it could be made better. Since it will only take about 15 minutes to maybe change something important in the future developement of Delphi you should take this time and fill out the poll.

You can find the poll here ('http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,33065,00.html').

savage
13-05-2005, 10:48 AM
It's interesting that they are asking about Eclipse and VS integration.

tux
13-05-2005, 02:01 PM
yeah that kindof concirned me. the delphi ide is so easy to use compared to VS (ive never used eclipse) so i would be worried if they basicly put pascal into a VS IDE :?

Robert Kosek
13-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Well, from the questions I saw and answered I'd say Delphi is going down the tubes.

Frankly, .NET and most the new features they're adding are not worth the effort.

{MSX}
13-05-2005, 05:21 PM
yeah all that .NET questions.. and almost no interest in Kylix and Linux. :(
What did you put on desired feature?
I wrote "make it open source" 8)
Probably a wasted vote :mrgreen:

Robert Kosek
13-05-2005, 05:41 PM
I think it was direct integration of C++ headers (eliminating translation) and just dropping the entire .NET side. :D

Really disappointing, ever since M$ aquired the majority holdings...

Specis
13-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Know, a few months ago i would have agreed the .net stuff was a waste of time.

But this aint a few months ago, and as ive been using it more and more, im actually beginning to get used to it and i'm eagerly awaiting .net V2 being released and hopefully a 64-bit version of delphi 2005 to go with my nice shiney new XP Pro 64-bit edition :)

I wasnt sure about the inclusion of Delphi into eclipse and VS as i dont like either of these IDE's at all, but then i was a firm hater of the new IDE for Delphi 2005, but after a few weeks of forcing myself to use grew to actually like it.

Almindor
13-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Delphi is dieing. The latest dance with .NET, bloated D2005 and even the crazy idea about Eclipse makes it clear that Borland(whoever they are now) is done with it and wants to go the hype way.

Quite sad really, I'm just glad FPC and Lazarus is here to save the day.

WILL
14-05-2005, 02:36 AM
There was one question for Kylix and a huge interest in .NET. Now ok .NET is a new technology and they have only gotten into it, so I'd give them plenty of slack there as they might just be trying to get as much feedback on their latest addition as they can. This is normal, don't you do this about your latest features and portions to your games?

The lack of interest in CLX and Kylix is what nails me though. But the fact that there was 1 question on there did show some hope that they may sometime in the future rehash their efforts with Linux that they one day made such a huge deal about.

Mind you there were some rather interesting questions at the beginning that do make you wonder if they have a focused plan for the future of the tool. They have been doing alot of tinkering with the IDE and compiler's make-up lately... and a lot of major things too! So it's hard to read them right now. I guess thats how all these theories are coming to bear. Everyone is trying to guess at what Borland is thinking because... well Borland it's saying.

One thing is for sure. The state of the Delphi RAD tool is not very stable... at least it's not going to be for a while.

savage
14-05-2005, 07:16 AM
I did like the fact that they had MacOS X as an option for future target platform.

technomage
14-05-2005, 01:03 PM
I think Kylix was a brave move by borland, but to be honest how many people have actually brought it? I got Kylix 1 but didn't get any upgrades after that. Which is a shame if you think about it because its one of the only commercial RAD tools for Linux.

I agree it doesn't look good for Delphi/Kylix and .Net seems to be taking the lead. But the good news is that until a game written in .Net can outperform a compiled game (in Delphi/C++ etc) there will still be a need for native compilers, no matter how fast computers get.

Perhaps there is still hope :)

LP
16-05-2005, 05:31 AM
In my opinion, if I decide to move to .NET, I'd use M$ Visual Studio and C# - has similar features but the IDE is much faster than Delphi 2005 and *much more stable* (no "Catastrophic failure" and "Internal error" notices). Never needed Kylix & other stuff. Tried to work with databases since Delphi 7, it was very unstable (crashed at every second SQL query), so again gave up on it. For game development, Delphi 2005 (we own PRO version) is ok, but the instability is disturbing. All .NET support is like garbage - we don't need it but Delphi 2005 doesn't run well without it, what a waste! The *only* usefulness from .NET for us would be creating PocketPC applications, but D2005 doesn't support that as RAD (M$ Visual Studio does!). In fact, it looks like Delphi 2005 can't even compile a simple mobile .NET application, so... not good. :cry:

Answered their poll based on the points mentioned above...