PDA

View Full Version : Code conversion help needed (inquire within).

Xorcist
06-01-2003, 06:47 PM
I have access to the source code for a moderately large program written in C/C++, that allows you manage (hide/show) the icons for the programs running in the System Tray for Windows 98, 2000, XP.

My question is, are there any programmers, proficient in C/C++, here that might like to try and translate this program over to a set of easy to use Delphi units or components, if possible?

Managing the tray is something I have found a great use for when there are icons that you just can't hide or never have any use for (especially when the tray gets way too large). I'd love to give the Delphi community access to this functionality so that they can write similar applications, but there is a fair amount of the code I just don't understand enough to follow.

Any takers out there?

Viro
07-01-2003, 02:47 PM
I'm pretty good in C++, but I haven't really worked in Delphi/. I could give it a shot.

Diragor
07-01-2003, 03:48 PM
I've done some significant C++ to Delphi conversion work, I could help if it's not too much code (don't want to spend forever on it).

Xorcist
07-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Well truthfully a good portion of the code is unneeded. That is to say a lot of the "application" specific stuff. I'm particularly interesting in just the code that queries and returns a list of handles to those application running in the system tray, so that their icons can be hidden/shown. Most of which is only one or two short C files. I must have gone through the code at least seven times though and am still having some trouble sorting it all out. I'll post a link to the source once I get home.

Any help at all would be appreciated. I'd really like to get this converted for the community and posted to several sites after we're finished so others can learn from it. I know once we get it over to Delphi it'll be much easier to understand/follow (and commented a little better) than it's C counter-part.

Check back sometime after 6:00pm EST, I should have the files posted to my FTP by then and linked through this post.

Stevie56
07-01-2003, 11:55 PM
Not interfering, just curious to know....

What's the copyright in a situation like this?

If I write code, it is my copyright.

But if someone translates it, what then? Is the new code the translaters or still mine?

Probably the wrong thread for starting this discussion. If so, my apologies, and please ignore my interruption.

Xorcist
08-01-2003, 02:21 AM
Not really sure to tell you the truth...

Anyways here is the code: TrayManager 2.0 (http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~xorcist/Downloads/tman_src.zip)

Ziff Davis holds the copyright, but I think that's the copyright of the specific application, not necessarily the concepts behind which it was developed. Seeing as how I'm not looking to translate the entire application, but rather learn how a particular part of the application works, and then implement something similiar in Delphi, there should be little to no copyright issues (I hope). I think there is only an issue if you use the exact code or code that has not be sufficiently modified such that it is not your own, but a redistribution of the existing code as your own, if that made sense.

Useless Hacker
08-01-2003, 01:13 PM
There are already lots of free components which do this...

Xorcist
08-01-2003, 07:34 PM
Could you point some out. I know of plenty that allow your own application to use the tray to display your own icons and animate them etc., but I know of none that can query a list of programs running in the tray and allow you to remove their icons.

Useless Hacker
09-01-2003, 12:51 PM
My apologies, Xorcist, I obviously didn't read your original post completely. :roll:

Xorcist
13-01-2003, 06:31 PM
So.... anyone interesting in helping out? anyone take the time to look the code over? I can strip the code down to it's bare essentials and repost it if necessary. But for the most part I just need someone who knows their C/C++ well enough to understand what's going on, so we can begin to translate those mission critical pieces of code over to Delphi.

Viro
22-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Xorcist, since the program isn't really C++, but C, and it uses the Win32 API, there should be a way of using those functions in Delphi. All you need is to know which header files their in and it *should* work.

But its late and I've had a long day, dissertation bombed again. Oh well.