PDA

View Full Version : The Sheep Killer

{MSX}
23-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Surprise! :mrgreen:

Today me and K4S finished our top-secret project, The Sheep Killer :)
This project started as a simple demo to test the animation system for the Turn Based Game, but finally growed to quite a complete game..
I find it quite fun :P The models (made by k4s) are amazing. the gameplay is simple but enjoiable (killing sheeps with an axe is satisfactory):)

We decided to keep the development secret to give all of you a surprise :)

The game is released under the GPL. The zip file contains sources and binaries for linux and windows.

Here's the zip (http://www.lugato.net/thesheepkiller/thesheepkiller.zip)

Let us know if you like it :)

And here's the screenshot:
http://www.lugato.net/thesheepkiller/sheep1.jpg[/img]

Legolas
23-05-2005, 06:19 PM
ROTFL!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
More blood!! More blood!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Why not a multiplayer mode? It could be very funny :viking:

Traveler
23-05-2005, 07:44 PM
One word: Awesome!
Although it does get a bit repetitive after an hour :D

Anyway, I was browsing your site earlier today and noticed the Omino demo and thought to myself that it was a bit of a waste that nothing more was done with it. Little did I know that in great secrecy a game(based on it?) was being finished at that exact same moment! Talk about coincidence :)

Truly, nice work guys!

PS. I do agree with my fellow sheepslayer above, could you please turn up the bloodlevel a bit? hehehe :twisted:

*me goes back to slaying some more sheep*

ankh
23-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Good job! :)

I like, but more blood... :lol:

But i had a bug in the game: I was killed by black sheep after killed the last white sheep!
So i continue the game with a lifecount of -1,-2 ect...
Isn't a grave problem (like that i got the best score! :lol:)!

Congratulation for this game! :)

K4Z
23-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, glad to hear you like it, HaHa.

It was really fun creating the models for this game, and MSX did an awesome job coding it.

There is so much that could be expanded on, but this game was really to test out the animation system, and it works really well. We did come up with some other game concepts, that might be created, if MSX is up for it. But I think we might concentrate more on the bigger project, the Turn Based game.

I was thinking of blood, mabye we could make a start on the particle engine for the animations, MSX. But we were going for a more cartoony feel.

Multiplayer is a good option, but I think MSX found a bug in the network code, and it wouldn't work under windows, or did you fix that?

This project really helped me to understand and visualise the Turn Based game a little better. And it might help speed up the development a little aswell.

Well, Happy sheep killing, Laterz!

savage
23-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Great work guys!! Very worthy of a news post tomorrow.

I would change the game only slightly. I would make the hero a sheperd and the black sheep into wolves. Then wolves would try to attack the sheep, while the sheperd tries to protect them. As the levels increase, you get more sheep and more wolves and possibly better weapons.

I think gamers will identify with being a protector slightly more than a sheep slaughterer, but each to his own :).

Just my 2 cubitts worth.

Since this is also a Linux game please register it with
http://www.happypenguin.org/ and post an Image of the Day on Flipcode.com as well ( they don't seem to have any new IOTDs lately ).

K4Z
24-05-2005, 03:53 AM
Great work guys!! Very worthy of a news post tomorrow.
HaHa, awesome!

Savage, yeah the idea of protecting your own flock of sheep was a strong second idea for a game, having a cowboy instead of a viking. But we wanted to keep it simple and actually finish the game in a fairly short time. So we kept the sheep killing idea. We were going to keep the wolves in, but have the wolves try and attack you.
I even started a lowpoly cartoony wolf.
(This is a really old pic)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/donuts/wolf2_1.jpg

But we thought of having some Rams instead of wolves, so it fit better.

Paulius
24-05-2005, 08:13 AM
For a bit of a bug report: the music was choppy for me in game, when played in Winamp it has no problems and sometimes lighting on all trees changes for a moment for no apparent reason. Other than that, it?¢_Ts great, I really like you?¢_Tre modeling and animation style. Blood may not be necessary, but some kind of sheep death animation would be nice.

{MSX}
24-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi! thanks for the positive feedback :P

About adding blood, i'd like to do it.. The problem (apart from the laziness :P) was that my girlfriend was very unhappy for the sheeps :P She was almost angry to see poor little sheeps killed with an axe.. when i mentioned adding blood she looked at me very badly :lol:

About the gameplay, it's fun to hear that suggestion about the wolf: that was exacly our first idea. I've implemented it while testing, but i find out it was not working very good. The problem is that when you have some wolf it's impossible to follow everyone. There's really nothing the player can do to it when they're all around the level. So there's no strategy one can use to improve results. It was not much fun.
Also I think killing them instead of protecting was more satisfactory :P

My girlfriend proposed me that instead of killing you have to cut their hair to obtain wool. :P That could win the most boring gameplay contest :mrgreen:

I'll correct that bug ankh spotted! thank you!

savage
24-05-2005, 10:04 AM
The music also sounds choppy on my machine. In your soundunit.pas file, change the Mix_OpenAudio() call to be...

if Mix_OpenAudio( MIX_DEFAULT_FREQUENCY, MIX_DEFAULT_FORMAT, MIX_DEFAULT_CHANNELS, 1024 ) <> 0 then

and it should sound good on both Windows and Linux.

The problem is that when you have some wolf it's impossible to follow everyone. There's really nothing the player can do to it when they're all around the level. So there's no strategy one can use to improve results.

The simple solution here is to give your sheperd/viking better weaponry. Maybe a bow and arrow or shotgun should do the trick. That way you don't have to close to kill the wolf.

P.S. Maybe you could make blood optional.

{MSX}
24-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Thank you savage. I had that problem of choppy sound too, but only on windows. I'll try with that suggestion.

About the weaponry, that was surely a solution, but we wanted to keep things simple :P Maybe for the next game .. :)

savage
24-05-2005, 02:24 PM
news posted.

Traveler
24-05-2005, 03:43 PM
About adding blood, i'd like to do it.. The problem (apart from the laziness :P) was that my girlfriend was very unhappy for the sheeps :P She was almost angry to see poor little sheeps killed with an axe.. when i mentioned adding blood she looked at me very badly :lol:

If blood is not preferenced, perhaps its a nice idea to let something else come out of the sheep. Little stars mayby that jump off the cheep and rotate while in the air and/or bounce a few times on the floor.

Legolas
24-05-2005, 06:19 PM
If blood is not preferenced, perhaps its a nice idea to let something else come out of the sheep. Little stars mayby that jump off the cheep and rotate while in the air and/or bounce a few times on the floor.

...or fleas? Let figure these little bugs jumping all around :D

xGTx
25-05-2005, 03:02 AM
haha fun!

Daikrys
25-05-2005, 08:19 AM
awesome :mrgreen:

hehe i like it,
i like the collision :wink: i will study the code when i have time :)
what a cool dude it makes a good country feeling :P

when u hit a sheep is the collision given to a spezific point?
i only hit them when i hit the middle

bye

{MSX}
25-05-2005, 10:40 AM
awesome :mrgreen:

hehe i like it,
i like the collision :wink: i will study the code when i have time :)
what a cool dude it makes a good country feeling :P

when u hit a sheep is the collision given to a spezific point?
i only hit them when i hit the middle

bye
The collision is just the way you are tring to achieve in the other thread (as i read, you did it :P )

About the hit, it works like this: it calculates the collision point (that is in front of the player, a little ahead) then it sees is this point is inside the circle of one of the characters. if it is, it receives the hit.

bye!

WILL
28-05-2005, 06:42 PM
lol Nice! ;)

I knew you two were gonna make something cool with all that work. :)

How about a 'Bloodlust' and 'HaPpY-BoUnCy' mode for the game?

I'm gonna have to give this a run after I've settled in. Great job guys!