PDA

View Full Version : Wumpus Hunt

cairnswm
01-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Ok so heres the situation.

I havn't done ANY game dev since the LD48 in the middle of April :( . Got lots of ideas but havn't done anything. Been working hard at work as well (wearing a wrist brace because of it :( ).

So I decided to do something quick and funny to get myself back into the whole game dev thingy.

So I made Wumpus Hunt based loosely on the dos Hunt the Wumpus game. The whole game took me just about ONE hour :) .

So take a look and tell me what you think:

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/download.asp?file=files/wumpushunt.zip

Download size is about 67KB (Includes EXE and all images needed to play the game). You will need the SDL libraries installed to play the game.

xGTx
01-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Cool :)

Legolas
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Some problems here. :(

This is the log:

STATUS INFO : @ 1.08.23 MSG : Create Fonts IN :
STATUS INFO : @ 1.08.23 MSG : Font name: c:\windows\fonts\Arial.ttf IN : TS2DLFont.LoadFont
STATUS INFO : @ 1.08.23 MSG : Font size: 36 IN : TS2DLFont.LoadFont
*** ERROR *** : @ 1.08.23 MSG : Couldn't load font: Couldn't open c:\windows\fonts\Arial.ttf IN : TS2DLFont.LoadFont
STATUS INFO : @ 1.08.23 MSG : Closing down fonts IN : S2DLText.Finalization
STATUS INFO : @ 1.08.23 MSG : SDL being closed down. IN : S2DLDraws.Finalization
STATUS INFO : @ 1.08.23 MSG : S2DLDraw surface being cleared IN : TS2DLDraw.Destroy
STATUS INFO : @ 1.08.23 MSG : Terminating Application IN : Finalization

My OS is w2k... I think the problem is the font path :idea:

cairnswm
02-06-2005, 04:55 AM
I've uploaded a new version with its own font in the Images Directory.

- Add 5 mins to development time :)

Traveler
02-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Nice one!
Too bad your faery game idea didn't game off the ground.

PS. hope you don't stress your wrist too much. You'll still be needing it for a very long time.

Legolas
02-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Nice :D
My best score is 1 8)

cairnswm
02-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Well the fairy town game or a small RTS "Humans vs Orcs" (typically) is the next game in line. :)

I did say it was a simple game :) But I thought it wasn;t bad for an hours work. (All images except the background were also done in that hour)

pwill99au
10-07-2005, 05:15 AM
Hi there,

Your Wumpus Hunt program needs quite a lot of DLLs from the SDL library. I have found some of them from other programs... but not all of them. In particular I need SDL_ttf.dll.

I also have SDL Library v1.0 for Delphi but I have not looked at in ages and I don't recall how I can create my own SDL_ttf.dll ... maybe you know how this is done?!?

Seeing how you spent so little development time on this maybe you could spend a little more time documenting the required DLLs?!? ... and also sources where these files are available on the web. I don't really like the idea of having to load up the SDL library and generating these files myself (assuming that I could remember how it was done).

Regards,
Peter W. :-)))
Sandy Bay, Hobart, Tas, AU.

lief
11-07-2005, 12:13 AM
hmm. yes, include dlls with package. I found the SDL runtime package, but it ain't Good Enough. The next error was SDL_image.dll, and someone mentioned a font dll... (is having no SDL making me look silly? Asphyre forever!)

cairnswm
11-07-2005, 03:41 PM
I have the SDL Libs packaged on my web sitre at:

http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/files/sdllibs.zip

lief
11-07-2005, 10:27 PM
oh much thanks cairnsman

lief
22-07-2005, 06:26 AM
got a chance to play this finally... and its bloody addictive.

nice work cairns... let me know if you want some shiny graphics for it

cairnswm
22-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Why not :)

Have a look in the images directory - they are all stored as PNGs

There are four images - BackEarth.png is the background, Square is the square tile you click, Arrows contains the 4 direction arrows, and Wumpus contains the picture.

Of course you can always get the source, change it and sell it :)