PDA

View Full Version : Scorch an Island

Mirage
12-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi,
This is my recent game written on Delphi.
It's a 3D turn-based tank game similar to good old Scorched Earth.
It's finished and distributed as shareware.
Now I'm working on Linux and Mac versions.

Links:
Download (4.7 MB) (http://avagames.net/content/saidemo/pgd)
Description and Screenshots (http://www.saigame.com)

Daikrys
12-06-2005, 12:43 PM
it looks very nice, i will try it

may the exe file is a none specific file :wink:

AŹ§hm is the engine really writen in delphi?

savage
12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Looks good, definatley worth a news post on the front page.

Are you using FreePascal to port it to Linux and MacOS X?

JSoftware
12-06-2005, 04:47 PM
funny game! Really beautiful particlesystem. and a very nice gui

Mirage
12-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Thanks for feedback. :)

Daikrys: Yes, it's completely written on Delphi.

savage: Yes. FreePascal is a very stable compiler. I had to submit only one bug before I got my engine compiled with FPC. :D
Now I can't figure out which Linux distribution to install.
If I run my game, say, on Mandrake, will it also run on RedHat or Gentoo?

Daikrys
12-06-2005, 06:27 PM
are complete coding the engine?
i like it really :)
i think the complete engine is audiere.dll isnt it?

savage
12-06-2005, 06:40 PM

Yes it should work on each of the Linux ix86 platforms, assuming they have all the required libraries installed.

savage
12-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Just played the game, excellent stuff very fun. Even my son enjoyed it.

If you plan to port to Linux/MacOS X, I would suggest switching to OpenGL. If you are carefull about how you code it, the same code should recompile using FreePascal without any changes.

You could use JEDI-SDL on all these platforms, but then, that would not be a very impartial suggestion :).

savage
12-06-2005, 07:37 PM
i think the complete engine is audiere.dll isnt it?

No audiere.dll is an opensource sound library.

WILL
12-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Now I can't figure out which Linux distribution to install.

I recommend neither. Gentoo maybe, but I always prefer Debian.

Reason 1; they do not mess with the GNU or Linux standard setup or standards like RedHat(Now Feldora Core) does. SuSE and Mandrake are both to hankey and come out of the box unstable. You will need to do alot of patch-up work and fixing before you can get your setup complete. Also becasue it doesn't mess with the standard Linux setup, you can easily manually install new things or things you require updated!

Reason 2; Debian has the most stable and reliable update/package system out of all the distrobutions. Dependancies are handled nicely too. If you don't have a package that it needs it'll then install it for you.

Reason 3; It's just damn stable! :) Most serious and experienced professionals use it because it is that good and has the least amount of problems (though like ALL distrobutions they have bugs and little issues, of course).

Reason 4; It just updated to the Final Sarge 3.2 release that took a few years to complete. So you know that they put alot of hard work into this one to make it stable.

As an installer for your game I'd recommend trying out that Loki installer that was going around. I believe that there was one that was written in Pascal if I'm not mistaken.

savage
13-06-2005, 11:12 AM
One other suggestion. Could you add tool-tips for the ingame icons. This will really help the newbie game players to get up to speed.

Btw, I have just posted a news item about the game on the main page.

Mirage
13-06-2005, 12:17 PM
savage: Actually the engine has OpenGL renderer. But it slow a little (comparing to DX one) and has some problems with colors because in DX colors in vertex buffers are stored as ARGB, but in OpenGL as BGRA.
But it's all solvable... :wink:
Probably I will use SDL for sound and network.
Thank you for posting on main page. :D

WILL: How about ease of use? I heard Linuxes are more user friendly than XP now. Is it related to Debian?
And which distribution is most popular? RedHat?

Sly
13-06-2005, 10:29 PM
WILL: How about ease of use? I heard Linuxes are more user friendly than XP now. Is it related to Debian?
Depends who you talk to. My personal opinion, after setting up a Linux box for a Subversion server here at work, is that XP still wins in the ease-of-use stakes by a long shot.

WILL
25-06-2005, 04:58 AM
Depends who you talk to. My personal opinion, after setting up a Linux box for a Subversion server here at work, is that XP still wins in the ease-of-use stakes by a long shot.

Yes, XP is still the happy friendly-go-lucky OS that we are all used to these days. And if you want to just basically plug and play right away, I agree with Sly, it's probably easiest. However Linux is not so far behind, provided you have a good GNU/Linux guy that sets you up well with everything you need at the start.

If you want to go with more popular distros I'd say that this includes; Debian, SuSE, Mandrake and Gentoo. Gentoo seems to be what some istros have failed to be... a plug and play easy use Linux like XP is to Windows. Have not tried it personally so I can only speculate for now.

RedHat is more or less a relic of it's former self. They renamed their 'personal edition' to Feldora Core and tried to recouperate it from what they did to try to commercialize Linux. But if you ask me the damage has been done and it's spoiled goods with all it's electronic licenceing and popup shareware-like garbage gunking it up. It also as a major drawback was also VERY slow to keep up with current WIDELY USED packages like PHP, MySQL, Apache, etc...

Compiler-wise; Extra work might be required to get FPC or Lazarus working on Debian however, but I find that it is the golden egg of the lot. (Just my personal oppinion!)

xGTx
25-06-2005, 06:51 AM
I recommend you developing it on Gentoo. :) I <3 Gentoo.

cairnswm
24-07-2005, 10:15 AM
This game was reviewed in the latest GameTunnel indie review:

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/section-viewarticle-122.html

WILL
24-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Well it's good to see that it can be put up and compared to the original dispite the harsh criticizem that all games usually receive. :)

Mirage
28-07-2005, 03:40 AM
Reviews are often very useful just like any feedback. :D

BTW: We have just released version 1.1 with internet play capabilities.
It's time for marketing now...

WILL
29-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey, keep us posted. Maybe it'll become the next Soldat? :)

JonasBS
19-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Hi,
This is my recent game written on Delphi.
It's a 3D turn-based tank game similar to good old Scorched Earth.
It's finished and distributed as shareware.
Now I'm working on Linux and Mac versions.

]Download (4.7 MB)[/url]
Description and Screenshots (http://www.saigame.com)

Hey!!!
Really nice game!! I saw it already on a cd-rom of a games magazine on which were a few shareware games!!!

Jonas