PDA

View Full Version : Don't ya hate it when...

Sly
19-06-2005, 10:29 PM
...you've been thinking about making a game, you've got it pictured in your mind, you're just about ready to start doing some actual development on it, and you find a shareware game that basically is what your game was going to be. But better. :)

I have been thinking about doing a 3D version of Diablo II for a while now, and seeing a flipCode IOTD [here (http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/fcarticles.cgi?show=65243)] a while back got me more inspired. But now the game shown in that IOTD has been released [here (http://www.fatethegame.com)] and I must say that it is very good. I've been suckered in by the demo and I'm going to be paying the US$19.95 for the full version.

Damn them for stealing all my ideas by reading my mind! :) Now I have to go think up something else. :)

HopeDagger
19-06-2005, 10:48 PM
Sometimes you can surprise yourself in terms of what you think you're capable of. All it takes is determination, hard work, and lots of caffeine (err, time!) to oven-bake a great game that could rival or beat the other fellow's.

Don't lose motivation! We (read: I) want to see your game turn out! :)

{MSX}
20-06-2005, 07:14 AM
Eheh what a pity :P

Well in my opinion you could just keep making your game..
In the end, all game genres are already been used and reused and reused.
If a Diablo 3d already exists doesn't mean that there's not place for another :)

Bye!

Sly
20-06-2005, 07:22 AM
There's also a strong rumour that Blizzard are developing Diablo 3. That's going to rock.

I'll have to think again about what I want to do.

Traveler
20-06-2005, 07:26 AM
I can imagine how you must feel. I too have ideas about a game (or actually a remake), and I'd hate to see someone beat me to it.

BojZ
20-06-2005, 10:35 AM
It's extremely nice to see your game come out before you started work on it, that's for sure. =]

But the release of "your game ideas" packed into a 50-100 ppl teams' worth of work (12+ h/day), backed up by investments, should not really be considered an obstacle if you would like to make your game. The least you get out of it is the experience and the fun you have making the game. It's a finished project in the end, aswell, which you can use if you're looking for a job...

Stick with the game you're making till it's done. Then move on to the next game that is going to be released by some gamedev company only moments before yours is, anyway,... it's always like that, right, Murphy? =]

HF,

BojZ

savage
21-06-2005, 08:50 AM
I played the demo of Fate most of yesterday. Pretty cool game, but it could be better ( hint, hint Sly ).

Though the game is 3D, so you can zoom in and out and rotate the view slightly, I still think this game would be just as good in straight 2D isometric. The 3D aspect adds value to the visual aspect of the game, but I did not think it added anything to gameplay.

I really like the skill system, though I think they should add a minus button as well, because right now, once you add skill point to something, you can't take it away ( as far as I could tell ). The other thing I don't like is that I have to press Ctrl to Run. I'd rather that if you clicked close to the character you walk and if you click further away you run. Seems more intuitive to me.

I like the fact that your mascot ( car or dog ) fights along side you , but they also have carrying capacity, so you can get them to carry loads of stuff and then send them back to town to sell any goods you don't want. Saves you having to use up your town portal spells. Their pretty smart and they also level up, the more XP they gain.

Having said the above, I think it is worth buying and I will probably do so soon.

WILL
25-06-2005, 05:26 AM
I got one for ya! Try having a game project that you were working on in highschool and then find out that Microsoft and another company are fighting over the name that YOU USED IN YOURS!!! :o

It was a real slap in the nuts. :? AND... my game never got made either. :roll:

oh btw... the name for my game was Mythica.