PDA

View Full Version : What is the best graphics component for 2D?

Paulius
08-01-2003, 08:07 PM
I have been happily working on my game using delphix for some time and it seemed pretty good, because I mainly used its draw procedure, but when I decided to use transparency for explosions even with my 1.4GHz thunderbird with just one transparent sprite onscreen the frame rate dropped below my desired 50. I checked some other components, but those that were fast with transparency were very buggy like omega. Maybe I should try doing it with openGl, but I can't find a simple 2d example for it. So what is the best for 2d ease of use/performance wise?

TheLion
08-01-2003, 09:18 PM
you tried direct drawing to the DXDraw surface instead of usinga DXImagelist ?

balog
09-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Did you report the bugs you found in Omega to the Delphi Sanctuary forum?

The Omega components are very new. They have a lot of potential. In terms of speed, they blow DelphiX away, and features are being added to them all the time.

just my opinion

BlueCat
09-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Did you report the bugs you found in Omega to the Delphi Sanctuary forum?

The Omega components are very new. They have a lot of potential. In terms of speed, they blow DelphiX away, and features are being added to them all the time.

just my opinion

Well said Balog!

Other ways to get a more personal response:

1: Send a private message (http://terraqueous.f2o.org/dgdev/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=26) to (DGDev member) Bobby who runs the Omega project

2: Post in our 'Project Omega' forum moderated by Bobby himself

3: Wait for Bobby to read this thread and see how he responds :lol:

And you might get more help than you would with DelphiX.

Seriously though, the most recent release of the Omega components is excellent with no major bugs.

BTW Don't take the above the wrong way, I'm just trying to be a helpful old Cat :P

Marty
09-01-2003, 03:39 PM
what about the powerdraw libary. there you have 2d support with dx8 and hopefully in a short time with dx9.

Paulius
09-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Delphix is sloooow when drawing partially transparent sprites and i don't think that drawing from DXDraw surface would boost it's speed by much. I didn't report omega bugs, because those that i found are already being fixed (like crash on an attempt to run fullscreen). I havn't tried powerdraw yet, i'll check it out later.

Paulius
11-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Powerdraw looks great, but I have a question. When I used Delphix after loading images I drew them on the dxsurface and analyzed the color of drawn pixels filling an array of array of Boolean for later use in per pixel collision detection. Is there a way to do something like this with Powerdraw?

Paulius
18-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Doe's anyone around here use powerdraw?

Useless Hacker
18-01-2003, 08:02 PM
I tried PowerDraw once, but I had some problems and the documentation is not fantastic...so I use Omega, though I am working on my own system.

Paulius
18-01-2003, 09:24 PM
So no idea how to get pixel color in powerdraw? I could use scanline, but as it only works on bitmaps(?) then I?¢_Td have to use a separate bitmap for alpha for every picture and that would be too ugly to bear.