PDA

View Full Version : Delphi Editor upgrade/replacement?

Philth
12-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Specifically i'm looking for a feature that my old GFA-BASIC had. Collapsable code. Basically, a function/procedure could be collapsed/expanded at will to keep everything more "Clean" looking, and when you're working with hundreds of procedures, you wont have to scroll through thousands of lines of code, but scroll through a hundred, etc ..

Like ..

//Collapsed example
+ Procedure test;

//Uncollapsed
- Procedure test;
Begin
Lala;
Lala2;
end;

And you just click on the + and - to make them collapse and expand.. Easy, no? I saw a package called Dream Editor, but the trial/demo failed to install and it was $120 .. Which is more than Delphi 6 Personal that I have anyways, so that's a bit odd.. But i'm willing to look to see what'd available..

cairnswm
13-01-2003, 07:43 AM
I dont use anything like that but there are some short cuts within the Delphi IDE that might help.

1. The Code Explorer that shows the Classes with their poroperties and methods - click on the method and the editor moves to that procedure.

2. Short Cut keys. If you are in the declaration section of a class and put the cursor over the procedure name and press Ctrl-Shift-DownArrow the cursor will move to the first line of the procedure (ie you only need to scroll through the class definition section). Ctrl-Shift-UpArrow will move from the current procedure to its definition above.

Cheers
William

Sly
13-01-2003, 08:23 AM
Some of the handiest editor shortcut keys are disabled in the Personal Edition. Damn shame that.

Kim Friis
13-01-2003, 10:56 AM
There is something called GExperts at http://www.gexperts.org that might do the trick? I don't know because I haven't tried it out, but it has alot of things build into it.

Philth
13-01-2003, 03:48 PM
GExperts basically reinvents the code explorer very nicely, and I think a lot of people who program with Delphi should be using this freeware collection of goodies. It has a LOT of really nifty tools that goes right into the editor. While it doesn't offer what I want, the ability to jump to procedure/function names easily by hitting CTRL-G makes life more easier.

One of the main benefits of collapsable code however, is that it makes it look VERY uncluttered. Sometimes when you're sitting there thinking out a problem you often get lost in code that isn't related .. If it was collapsed, you wouldn't see it.. And it wouldn't distract you.

Still looking.. Perhaps i'll ask the GExperts people to add this feature if nothing turns up. Dunno.