PDA

View Full Version : Chrome

WILL
13-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Well since posting about the new Object Pascal compiler Chrome by RemObjects Software I have not heard much of anything really from here in the forms. And I was wondering if anyone has done or has heard of any work done with the new .NET Compiler for Object Pascal?

It seems to me to be a great alternative to Delphi 2005 which currently only supports the .NET 1.1 standard. Or if you already have Visual Studio a way to use Object Pascal within that suite.

A compiler is available for and supports the Mono platform aswell allowing you to run it off of Linux and Mac OS X. In interesting feature for cross-platform enthusiests.

Sly
13-07-2005, 12:34 PM
I think it's main drawback is that it is .NET only. I don't think that .NET is gaining much ground in the Pascal world. A few people like savage have done demos in .NET using Delphi, but as for more widespread use, I think that is a long time coming.

Almindor
13-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Why use .NET if I can do the thing with FPC WITHOUT .NET but get the same and better result?(mainly faster and less memory intensive).

FPC itself is much more cross-platform than .NET even with mono. Just see the list of platforms.

{MSX}
13-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Why use .NET if I can do the thing with FPC WITHOUT .NET but get the same and better result?(mainly faster and less memory intensive).

FPC itself is much more cross-platform than .NET even with mono. Just see the list of platforms.

Great thruth.

savage
13-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Great thruth.

I think you can get an ointment for that.

WILL
13-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Well lets say you wanted to make something for the Pocket PC? There are a good few PalmOS compilers but only .NET will allow you to program for the Pocket PC. And the two options are Delphi 8/2005 or Chrome.

Unfortunately if you are already cross-platform(ala FPC) then unless you want to go to that one platform in conjunction with Windows then it's not that great of a benefit. But it is a variety option which is rather nice considering the clunky nature of Delphi 2005. I believe this leads into a Delphi 2005 and .NET support, unhappyness issue from here?

{MSX}
14-07-2005, 10:02 AM
what does it means ? :P

savage
14-07-2005, 05:05 PM
what does it means ? :P

Usually you use an ointment when you have a rash or similar. An oil or creame that is rubbed on, to make things better. When you typed "Thruth" it sounded like you had caught something. Hence my silly joke about ointments.