PDA

View Full Version : my blog

{MSX}
13-07-2005, 07:10 PM
hi! i decided to start a small blog about my activity :P
I don't know how many posts will pass before i get bored and quit it, but here it is :P
http://msx80.blogspot.com

Eriken
13-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Nice, where is the PGD-link? ;)
_____
Eriken

{MSX}
13-07-2005, 09:16 PM
[quote="Eriken"]Nice, where is the PGD-]

Umm indeed i was trying to find where those three links can be modified.. but it doesn't seems to be anywhere on the settings..

Edit: ok, it wasn't in the settings, it's on the site template. So when i change the template i lose the links. Great idea :P

Sly
13-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Excellent work with the 3D imposed over 2D. Are you considering extending it so that characters can walk behind specific objects? For example, the piano in the ballroom could cut out, masked and placed on another quad that is placed in the 3D world as a camera facing quad. Then it should depth-sort automatically with the characters.

lief
13-07-2005, 10:52 PM
you will also need to add no-walk-zones with polys... (or a finely tiled grid array)

it looks awesome by the way... i like that you are trying new or different stuff...

WILL
13-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Nice job man! I was wondering when one of the PGD regulars was gonna get a blog. :)

My bet was on William though. :lol: He does some really interesting stuff too. Well you both do actually!

cairnswm
14-07-2005, 05:14 AM
Actually I started my blog a week ago :)

I didn;t want to tell anyone until I got to the stage where I was updating it regularly - I'm using one of the forums on www.cairnsgames.co.za for my blog :P

Paulius
14-07-2005, 07:00 AM
@cairnswm: button alignment on you?¢_Tre webpage looks broken in Firefox

{MSX}
14-07-2005, 07:29 AM
Excellent work with the 3D imposed over 2D. Are you considering extending it so that characters can walk behind specific objects? For example, the piano in the ballroom could cut out, masked and placed on another quad that is placed in the 3D world as a camera facing quad. Then it should depth-sort automatically with the characters.

Yes, that should not be hard.. the main problen is the image cutting (it can be a time-wasting process)
I was thinking of making some alpha-channeled PNGs with the images and draw them after the characters (so that i won't get problem with z buffer on the transparent portions).

about the non walk zone, i was thinking of implementing them with poligons placed on the floor. There could be different types, for example walk or non-walk, interactive (they respond in some way to action such as search or use), damaging, etc.

i'll experiment a little more before start working on this :P

cairnswm
14-07-2005, 07:46 AM
I was working on something similar for a game. It was a 2D adventure type game. The idea was to have a single image as the background with walkable areas (stored in an array) along with hot spots to make things happen - some hot spots were exits while others could do things.

I got as far as making the character walk around the screen avoiding blocked areas and reaching exits. I never got any further :(

I even had the various adventures designed for the game. I had a world with about 15 screens (backgrounds were ready) and then lost interest. It would have been for the remakes.org one button contest.