PDA

View Full Version : Trucker (Game Maker)

cairnswm
15-07-2005, 06:06 PM
A long long time ago a small independant game company in South Africa made a game called Barbar. This is a rewrite of that classic game.

The Game Maker 6 file is available from
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/download.asp?file=files/trucker.gm6

or you can download the executable from
http://www.cairnsgames.co.za/download.asp?file=files/trucker.zip

As you can see its done in Game Maker :P . I did this to learn the tool so that I can teach my daughter to make games. (We did the First tutorial together).

PS. Took me less than 45 minutes to do from not knowing anything about the tool - which is pretty good. I'll not be switching to Game Maker though - I moved to a non visual method of developing gaes and I'm most definitly not going back :)

Eriken
15-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Hehe, nice, I ran through it until I reached 3000 points and then quit.. does it get harder eventually? hehe

And here is today's proof that Delphi is around: Game Maker is written in Delphi ;)
_____
Eriken

cairnswm
15-07-2005, 06:44 PM
No it doens't :)

It took me about 45 minutes to do. A lot of that time was trying to work out how to draw text as well as reading the hints on all the buttons to see what was there.

Rememeber I only did visual development - I did no coding.

Ok what do I like about GM
1. Its easy to use - I think my daughter may actually get something right (she is 9)
2. Nice range of events and actions
3. Easily available
4. Definitly use ful for prototyping
5. Really good for quick development

So what do I dislike about game maker
1. I no longer enjoy visual design for games
2. Why no drag drop - huh!
3. Why is Score/Life part of the actions and not objects?
4. The Events are great and cover most possibilities. However my feeling was that the actions are very specific for arcade style games (of course most of my games are like that as well).
5. Why no manipulation functions for the sprites - how about flip sprite as an action - I counld'y make my truck turn around without making a new sprite.